Krank!

DURBANS said:
I mean, from what i read on forums these amps seem to be more appealing to the open chord people than the palm muted speed death/thrash Arch Enemy does.

lol... sorry to laugh but it's really srange to hear a suggestion that "nu-metal" and "palm muted spped death/thrash" uses different basic amp types... i've never known this to be true at all. the differences are in the hands, not the amps, except for maybe the "nu-metal" guys add some more low end or whatever. most nu metal bands are using mesas, marshalls, or peaveys.. most death/thrash/whateveryouwannacall'em bands are using mesas, marshalls, or peaveys. of course there's the odd Randall or Soldano, or Bogner, or Deiezl, or Engl user on each style, but they are outnumbered by those using one of the "big 3".

Sorry if I didn't get it clear. Of course you can do anything with almost any amp, but, usually, nu-metal guys prefer Mesa's or Bogners, at least from what I know. You don't see many metal players using Mesa's, as far as I know, the only one is Eric Patterson from Testament who uses rectifiers, I think both the dual and the triple, 3 channel ones. But I can't find any "extreme" as in thrash or death metal, players who use Mesa's, we mostly use 5150's, Marshalls (with a pedal to blend od's) or some solid state in the worst of cases where economy affects the deal (my case).

no metal guys using mesa? :err: that's not really true, and even though some guys have switched by now there are quite a few who have recorded killer tones with mesa amps and pres.. Jeff Loomis on DHIADW for one example.. there are many more who have used mesas quite successfully in the past or are stll using them. as with Krank, i do not endorse or use, or even own a mesa... at least not anymore, but they are used by "metal guys" quite a lot, especially in the studio.

James Murphy said:
no metal guys using mesa? :err: that's not really true, and even though some guys have switched by now there are quite a few who have recorded killer tones with mesa amps and pres.. Jeff Loomis on DHIADW for one example.. there are many more who have used mesas quite successfully in the past or are stll using them. as with Krank, i do not endorse or use, or even own a mesa... at least not anymore, but they are used by "metal guys" quite a lot, especially in the studio.

Exactly...Mesa's have been used by countless "metal" guys. Metallica's stuff (Master of Puppets, And Justice for All, Black Album, etc) was Mesa Mark amps. Loomis has used everything from Dual Recto's, Mesa Mark IV's, etc...on Nevermore albums. Testament's been using Mesa Triple Rectifier's. Kreator's Violent Revolution has the Mesa Dual Rectifier, etc.

It is Mille. By the way as far as I can remember, Andy said Enemy of God was recorded with a Mark IV but he ended up not liking the results. So he ended up reamping it with 5150.

They do enjoy their 5150's, but you hear some Dual Recto on Violent Revolution. Enemy of God was originally done with the Recto (I think) and then reamped with the 5150 because they weren't happy with the results.

Well, I didn't spend too much time with the Krank amp at NAMM...but - from what I heard, it didn't seem to have enough of it's own distinction to me. Like - when you hear it, you know it's a Krank amp....(compared to hearing a mesa rectifier....or 5150, etc...)

A good guitarist can make anything sound good, some amps just make it easier for them.

Maybe I didn't specify correctly... I mean "current" metal people using Mesa Rectifiers. I mean, Metallica for the good music they used to make, used Mesa's Mark IIC+ and Mark IV's, as well as some Marshalls in the older days, I'm refering to "good music they used to make" as in everything before the black album, just a matter of personal taste.

As I said, the only modern or current metal guitarrists (metal as in thrash/death) using Rectifiers is Eric Patterson, at least to my knowledge, also Mille Petrozza. BUT, if you listen carefully, on The Gathering and on Violent Revolution, the guitar sounds are not as tight and defined as Arch Enemy's guitar sound, I dunno how to explain it, it sounds a bit too airy and rough, maybe it's just me or my taste.

Of course you can try and sound right with anything, but that's not the point, is it? We can all post the cheesy lines, but, I think this was about Krank sounding a-la Recto. I personally think that the Recto series are great for big bassy open power chords in low tunings.

... or read between the lines of my previous post... Mesa's are still used often, on current albums... just because you don't see them live or mentioned in the band's endorsement credits means nothing. nothing at all. i know this from being behind the glass and on stage for more than a few years. ;)

and having owned both a dual and triple rectifier over the years and recorded and toured with them, i can confidently say after playing the Revolution at NAMM that it doesn't sound much like a rectifier.

DURBANS said:
I mean, Metallica for the good music they used to make,
Of course you can try and sound right with anything, but that's not the point, is it? We can all post the cheesy lines, but...

Shut up, you're retarded.

Yeah, yeah, I can't spell anyone's name right. :p

Sorry, I just sort a think more "Marshall" than "Mesa" with Kreator's tone. Probably because most of the records I have from them are pre Recto existing. :) As for the actual sound of a DR? I only really like 'em with a pedal in front. :)

I'm surprised.

Krank was one of those random "Hey look lolz I made an amp and I have a bunch of no-name guitar players using it look lolz plz buy one lolz they rock ok lolz" amps that I constantly used to see advertised [occuping 1/4 of a page] in Guitar World.

Who knew they would become such a phenomenon? :Spin:

Nitronium Blood said:
I'm surprised.

Krank was one of those random "Hey look lolz I made an amp and I have a bunch of no-name guitar players using it look lolz plz buy one lolz they rock ok lolz" amps that I constantly used to see advertised [occuping 1/4 of a page] in Guitar World.

Who knew they would become such a phenomenon? :Spin:
I watched their factory tour video on Guitar World CD, funny enough that is the kind of attitude that sums up their whole staff. "Yo our amps kick ass dude! Hell yeah!" Nothing bad with it, it doesn't take away from the quality of the amp... I just thought it is funny. :tickled:

commandante said:
I watched their factory tour video on Guitar World CD, funny enough that is the kind of attitude that sums up their whole staff. "Yo our amps kick ass dude! Hell yeah!" Nothing bad with it, it doesn't take away from the quality of the amp... I just thought it is funny. :tickled:

Even more hilarious because they were banned from the Harmony Central user review database because their employees were saying that over and over in fake reviews.:Spin:

Personally, I feel most of the hatred of the amps comes from this, than the sound of them, which is a pity.:err:

The only Krank I've seen in person belonged to one of the local bands here. I never heard it though, because I saw it on it's way in for servicing from our amp tech(back when I still had my guitar tech job). Seems it blew up on stage. Looked pretty though, all white tolex. :)

If they sound good, I see no reason not to like 'em. :headbang: