Last movie you saw and your verdict

Hetzer

Oct 22, 2012
Tampere, Finland
Didn't find this kind of topic (or I'm just blind), but here it is. So, as title says, last movie you saw and thouhgts. Verdict can be either numerical or just verbal abuse. I'll start:

Star Trek - Into Darkness

Went to see 3D because theatre showing 2D version here has crappy seats and while not big fan of whole 3D scene it worked quite well. Now I'm not very big fan of ST, in other words I have seen old movies sure but I haven't watched series (not original nor next gen) so I don't have that baggage with me. As first of these reboot movies was ok, this new one is better. All the characters are introduced so no need for that, flow is better now as everyone is familiar face.
Really liked Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock, and he sure makes quite convincing villain. Also nice to see Peter Weller. I had one problem and that was with Karl Urban as Bones, after seeing him play Dredd all I was thinking was where's the helmet:lol:

I guess that these reboots are too loud and fast for old fans but for someone like me who is just old but young in mind, they work just fine. So for me it was 4/5 experience.

Batman - The Dark Knight

9/10

Not a big fan of the comicbook hero movies, but this is my favorite one. Great performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker. Anyone else bothered by the change in character of Rachel? I find Katie Holmes much more attractive than Maggie Gyllenhall. So much in fact, that I don't mind too much when she dies. :lol:

Ok, Man of Steel. Wow, they actually managed to make quite entertaining movie out of one of the lamest super heroes out there, and without Nicholas Cage no less. End fight scene was tad long and started to feel bit transformesish with all wanton destruction, but Superman's decision to perform neck operation to Zod was good move. Small thing to bring character more up to date, and some darker tone overall. Antje Traue (Faora-Ul) was kind of hottie... Hard to rate this one other than I say it was pretty good, and best Superman movie to date.

Last movie we watched in cinemas or in general? Last one I saw at an actual cinema was... Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows on the day of release. Fuck, that long ago. But yeah, ace film if a little lacking in the holmes-ness of the first one.

As for general last-film-you-saw shit... The Running Man :D

Predators on BD. While nothing can't touch original, this sequel is infinitely better than 1990 horrible pile of shit. But why Adrien Brody, man looks like a toucan... But then again, Topher Grace. Actually cast works very nicely, and Laurence Fishburne as batshit crazy scavenger steals the show for a moment. I'm guessing that sequel for this sequel is coming sooner or later. Above average, definitely.

Beerfest - :kickass: I don't think I will ever be too mature for a funny, ridiculous movie about guys preparing for a drinking competition. :lol:

The Dark Knight Rises - 4/5. Finally saw this and I enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was better than The Dark Knight. I like how the movie handled the Catwoman character. Also nice to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I liked him in Third Rock from the Sun.

Avengers yesterday on BD. Love it. Now all they need to do is kick Hawkeye out and put Wolverine in, perfect.

CAN'T
wolverine is a Mutant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_(Marvel_Comics)
and all of the Mutant characters (in theatrical relaesed movies) are "owned" by the Fox Studios (including the X-Men/wolverine)

meaning
Fox will have to give up all the movie rights to all of the mutant characters before wolverine could apear in an Avengers movie

but
they only own the movie rights to the mutants on a temporary basis anyway
the rights to the mutant characters will eventually "revert back to Marvel" (meaning a Disney-made-Avengers-universe movie) just as soon as Fox stops making the movies with the X-men In them

just for clarification
the X-men and Wolverine are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_(Marvel_Comics)

the Marvel heroes made by other studios are mostly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutate_(comics)

CAN'T
wolverine is a Mutant...

Yeah, well, just a thought, still pretty cool idea imo. Today was wasted on hangover so time to watch movies, first Flight, Denzel Washington gives solid performance as alcoholic flight captain. Maybe tad too heavy for first movie, and watching someone getting wasted while suffering hangover... Not the best combo.
Second movie was Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters and boy what a load of crap, should have seen that coming from the start as MTV logo is dead giveaway for shit. Some gory bits and Finnish actress who is kind of a hottie, but not enough to save this turd.
Finally Warm Bodies, bit silly zombie movie. Some decent ideas, could have been bit better but still most enjoyable of these three movies.

The new Evil Dead.

Not the worst movie, but it's not the original, nor an Evil Dead 2. Although I think it's great in it's own right.
The only thing going through my head during the climax was

Also, that "Groovy" after the credits was hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing

Yes, Nicholas Cage and
tumblr_m8x5zaZFAi1rxkjdjo1_250.jpg
Best bits are at the very end, otherwise its just nonsense...

Death Race I really like how they put disclaimer at the end, stating that you shouldn't try any of seen stunts. I was going to put gatling to our Micra, but quess that's out of question now... Decent action, some Mad Max styled cars etc etc. Realism is out of the window naturally, there's no way that it's possible to armor car to a point that it can stand against so much firepower (.50cal, M61 Vulcan 20mm) and maintain those speeds. Or maybe they are using lighter loads on those guns. But on the other hand, if you want realism go out or watch news. Solid entertainment this one, and I understand it has spawned some not so great sequels also. Also original Death Race 2000 is worth checking out, or is it...

Cloud Atlas

Now this is interesting case. Massive movie with multiple stories to tell, and somehow it manages to pull it off too. Hardest part is to rate this, but I can say that I really liked it. It's like with a good album, good from the first spin but takes time to really soak in. Requires full attention though, so if one is customed to fiddle with cell of whatever during movies I would recommend to give this one a pass.