Last movie you've watched

I last saw Black Hawk Down. Fantastic movie, one of the best war films imo, up there with Pearl Harbour and Saving Private Ryan.

I last saw Black Hawk Down. Fantastic movie, one of the best war films imo, up there with Pearl Harbour and Saving Private Ryan.

I loved Pearl Harbor.... but other war movies you should see without a doubt is:

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

Casualties of War (this movie made me hate the military and it's based on a true story... i also read the book... talk about injustice)

Recently saw :

Beyond Borders - loved it and made me hate the militaries of the world more for the death and destruction they cause in the name of this cause or that cause.

The Golden Compass - kind of bored me, almost fell asleep while watching it in the theater but I didn't pay to get in. Someone else paid for me on the promise that I would go see it.

Yeah I felt the same. I think Crowe was better used in the movie. It's nicely shot and it flirts with saying something interesting but it's never quite there. I reckon it was overly long and could have had a good chuck of things cut from the script. The ending is a little bit of a damp squib and it is normally slightly off mark when it comes to the usual emotional gravitas Scott has captured before.

I think you're right with Washington being one dimensional - but he's pretty handy in that dimension. I liked it overall but it doesn't have an ebb and flow that takes it anywhere. It lacks the absolutely magnetic performances required from these sorta movies.

As for the Golden Compass I'm a bit on the fence. It's enjoyable enough throughout and the casting appeals to me, although not everyone. Having read the trilogy of books some years ago now it occurred to me that filming them would require alot of balls and the movie is not quite steely enough for me. Northern Lights is definitely the most filmable of any of the books. How they can provide a metaphor for the death of religion in the later movies that also appeals to a family-Christmas audience is beyond me.

Since it seems to have bombed financially (a 200milllion budget with less than half of that in box office worldwide - If I recall) they may not actually do the other two. In all honesty I think that's probably the best predicament. Film the one most easily rendered and leave the other two unless it's gonna be truly faithful to the subversiveness of the text.

As for war movies, Black Hawk Down is immense. It's pretty taut throughout and the casting is absolutely nails, but Pearl Harbour - are you kidding? It's a horrible, bloated chunk of a movie. Save a 45 minute segment of bombs and kamikaze pilots it's pretty much worthless.

Jackie Chan Drunken Master (or at least I think thats what its called)

I prefer Asian Martial Arts movies over American action movies. I don't find people shooting and hiding with the camera wavering between them is that entertaining.

And the hand to hand combat in American action movies isn't that technical at all.

As for war movies, Black Hawk Down is immense. It's pretty taut throughout and the casting is absolutely nails, but Pearl Harbour - are you kidding? It's a horrible, bloated chunk of a movie. Save a 45 minute segment of bombs and kamikaze pilots it's pretty much worthless.
That's because your the typical guy who doesn't want a love story in a action type of movie or epic... you would say the same thing if BHD had a love story that is half the movie... and im sure you have the same opinion about Titanic...

As for American Gangster... it's been done before but this one is a true story and you can cut or edit it or else it will take away from the story...

as for Golden Compass >>>> zzzzzzzzz

Jackie Chan Drunken Master (or at least I think thats what its called)

I prefer Asian Martial Arts movies over American action movies. I don't find people shooting and hiding with the camera wavering between them is that entertaining.

And the hand to hand combat in American action movies isn't that technical at all.

Go watch The Transporter among other movies and tell me the fight sequences are not good... your just not watching the right movies or your too much of a Martial arts fanboy..

That's because your the typical guy who doesn't want a love story in a action type of movie or epic... you would say the same thing if BHD had a love story that is half the movie... and im sure you have the same opinion about Titanic...

As for American Gangster... it's been done before but this one is a true story and you can cut or edit it or else it will take away from the story...

as for Golden Compass >>>> zzzzzzzzz

I'm glad you've got me characterised.

It wasn't that. On the contrary I think tangible human elements - such as a love story - in the face of the overwhelming inhumanity of war makes for a powerful contrast. In Pearl Harbour it's just absolutely flat. Titanic is ok, I have more time for it than Pearl Harbour.