Last movie you've watched

I saw Monster today... Still pretty speechless. Woah. As a biopic, I don't think I've seen anything like it...possibly ever.

Anyone who knows anything aboot this movie will likely have heard how Charlize Theron's portrayal of serial killer and hard-done-by hooker Aileen Wuornos on which the film is based as being "OMGZ AMAZING!!!111". Don't take this as empty hyperbole: she is. It's astonishing not only in how Theron - being a model herself - laid on the lard and, uh, ugliness for her role, but truly seemed to personalize it and heave from the very soul the hardship, confusion and absolute fucking pain Wuornos endured. It's staggering to watch.

Christina Ricci is convincing as Selby; the naive, vulnerable young runaway and significant other of Wuornos'. But, not surprisingly, her performance is overshadowed by the fire of Theron's. Nevertheless, she allows as a means for Theron to really open up and let herself be understood (this is only strengthened by Selby's antagonising spoilt brat tendencies as the plot progresses). That in and of itself is what works brilliantly about this film: some sentimental, lame attempt to fully sympathise with Wuornos, to justify and condone her actions is not what this film tries; but it does at least explain and rationalise them. By her final killing, it's apparent to the viewer why her media-label "Monster" is fitting.

Ultimately, since Wuornos is the narrator, she leaves us with a poignantly amusing little epilogue that really points out how some people are just dealt the worst possible hand in life; they cannot even move "towards the light" - no chance. Not an entertainment flick, per se, but one worth watching for the power of the performances - at the very least.

EDIT: On a lighter note, the inclusion of Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing' is rocking. :kickass:

Watched Big and...fuck, I forgot how much I loved this movie as a child. It's got a unique charm that seemingly only Hanks can pull off in that Manchild persona. Great modern fairytale.

Now I want to get my hands on both the Toy Story flicks. Again.

I saw The Last King of Scotland the other night. Great movie. Although the fictional co-lead character, whilst adding plenty to the story, made it a tad unbelievable. Surely no-one could be that naive.

I just watched Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. It was pretty cool, I like that brutal gangster theme.

^ Great movie.
If you haven't seen it yet and like gangster-type films, check out "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels."

was AMAZING
i loved it
all the other gals i was watching had a fit and left left cuz it was too bloody
but it was the best movie i have ever seen.
plus it had great symbolism and fight scenes

Watched Blue Velvet last night in a lightly stoned haze...wow. What a fucking awesome movie, some parts did drag but how it unfolds is great. And Dennis Hopper is amazing as Frank, if anyone hasn't seen this watch it then go watch more David Lynch films (Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway etc)