Last movie you've watched

Doomsday which was not too bad. It's entertaining enough, but nowhere near as good as The Decent or Dog Soldiers, which, as it happens, are two of my favourite horror/thriller movies. Marshall is a talented enough guy so Doomsday ends up being entertaining, without being brilliant.

Yeah it was alright. I love Dog Soldiers and shouldn't have expected Doomsday to be as good. (Not seen The Descent though.) The set-pieces were pretty immense, and we had a laugh at the idea of a post-apocalyptic Glasgow being full of savages (aye, so, not much has changed, eh?), but the character David O'Hara played was so wretchedly acted.

Wall Street

Missed the ending but I caught the rest. It's brilliant, impressively detailed if sappy at times.

well for one the characters seem to be emotionless... i have no connection or interest in any of them... the films feel sterile to me

with the indy series though... its completely different... watching these films you love the characters or at least you love indy there is an instant draw to the personalities involved

I suppose I can understand. Although one is supposed to feel for the struggle Bourne goes through during the three movies, there is an element of sterility. I maybe identify more intellectually with his transformation than emotionally. That said, I tend to enjoy the movies as brilliantly acted and directed, full of nails action sequences and fight scenes, rather than something slightly deeper.

For sure with the Indy comment. He's a magnetic chap, even at 189, or whatever age he is now.

Yeah it was alright. I love Dog Soldiers and shouldn't have expected Doomsday to be as good. (Not seen The Descent though.) The set-pieces were pretty immense, and we had a laugh at the idea of a post-apocalyptic Glasgow being full of savages (aye, so, not much has changed, eh?), but the character David O'Hara played was so wretchedly acted.

Well for starters you should definitely see the Decent. As for Doomsday I think he just missed the plot a little. From what I've read since watching it, he seems to have been aiming at a mish-mash of influences from his teen years, like Mad Max and movies like that. The set-pieces are pretty good, it's nicely directed, but everything else just failed to work. Reviews of it seem to agree, give or take. Some completely miss what he was attempting and criticise how ridiculous it was, but others realise the intention and still consider it pretty lame. I'm in the latter camp, for sure.

Huge elements of the movie just never took off. Post Apocolyptic Glaswegian Punk scene was boring, everything about it was dull, repetitive and regardless of any homage to earlier works, totally off key. Killing off Pertwee, one of the most likeable actors around, was maybe an internal joke, but it annoyed everyone else. All in all, it really feels like the failed gelling of 17 different movies.

Still, in the positive category, Hoskins plays that role well, Dr Bashir is in it, for a little while, and he successfully managed to make Rhona Mitra look not like a man, which given her other recent appearances in action movies - Shooter? - is probably the greatest achievement of the movie.

Evan Almighty - Surprisingly decent, Steve Carrell was very good.

Diary of the Dead - very dissapointing, very bad ending

My Hero
TV show starring the guy who plays Father Dougal. Awesome TV show, definitely recommended for fans of Father Ted.

My Hero is hit or miss for me. It's good early on but it has nowhere near the same laughs and charm as father Ted.

I gotta admit I liked Evan Almighty too, even though, if I am honest, it is a terrible, terrible movie.

Well for starters you should definitely see the Decent. As for Doomsday I think he just missed the plot a little. From what I've read since watching it, he seems to have been aiming at a mish-mash of influences from his teen years, like Mad Max and movies like that. The set-pieces are pretty good, it's nicely directed, but everything else just failed to work. Reviews of it seem to agree, give or take. Some completely miss what he was attempting and criticise how ridiculous it was, but others realise the intention and still consider it pretty lame. I'm in the latter camp, for sure.

Huge elements of the movie just never took off. Post Apocolyptic Glaswegian Punk scene was boring, everything about it was dull, repetitive and regardless of any homage to earlier works, totally off key. Killing off Pertwee, one of the most likeable actors around, was maybe an internal joke, but it annoyed everyone else. All in all, it really feels like the failed gelling of 17 different movies.

Still, in the positive category, Hoskins plays that role well, Dr Bashir is in it, for a little while, and he successfully managed to make Rhona Mitra look not like a man, which given her other recent appearances in action movies - Shooter? - is probably the greatest achievement of the movie.

There were definitely echoes of Beyond Thunderdome and Escape From NY, and we'd hoped Pertwee's character would stick around. Agreed on the rest, but I think Mitra quite a hottie. But then, I think Karen Allen's still attractive, so there ye go.

Incidentally, on the topic of Mad Max, aside from George Miller's ill-advised plans for a fourth film without Mad Mel, I've been wondering about a fuel war in the UK and elsewhere for a while now. Current headlines and Salmond's "rage" are only perpetuating the idea...

Saw End of Days, finally, and enjoyed it. I was drunk though. The religious element is so ridiculous, Arnie tries and fails to add a different depth to his usual roles, but overall I liked it as a mindless action/horror with a silly millennial device and funny one-liners.

Saw the new Indy last night with 2 friends, one of whom (WeAreTheLastMen) had already seen it.
During the part where everything in the valley is swirling:
WATLM: This is the absolute worst part
Me: Nah, it's pretty epic. The only way it could be bad would be if the swirly stuff left something silly
WATLM (in sync to the movie): Like a flying saucer?
[entire audience erupts in laughter]

Today I watched one of the most classic movies of all time-Mr Nanny,starring Hulk Hogan.How that man doesn't have an Oscar is beyond me.Okay,sure,it doesn't even make the level of B-grade,but I'm a sucker for the Hulkster.He really can't act.Hey zacmenta,any chance you'd want to swap that washburn for a $10 accoustic?

Yeah, it's pretty good fun. Few crazy moments but there you go.

I watched Semi Pro on DVD last night and I gotta say that I liked it. I happen to like the Ferrell-esque comedy stylings, and they had a more adult edge to them in this movie which I thought worked.

The Ladykillers - Not sure why the genius of the Coen Brothers escaped this flick.

Gone Baby Gone - Thought this one was pretty good. It leaves you thinking afterwards.

Semi-Pro - Not as funny as some of Will's other stuff but was good for a couple of chuckles.

NIGHT Watch Nochnoy dozor (2004)

poster.jpg