last year at high school..

DeclanWhite

Oct 9, 2009
Australia
it's my final year here.. been a fucking horrible experience. hate everyone at it. sooooo glad to be leaving.

one problem though.. its nearly exam time and the english exam says at the top 'ENGL' ......boy am i going to be distracted :/

now guys.. (and.. girls?)

what should i do next year? do an audio engineering course? do nothing and sit at home practicing my production skillz? part time job? i get my licence when i turn 18 in january, so i'll finally have a life. (i currently live in the middle of nowhere)

the ultimate plan is to record people and gig.. but i want a studio and a decently stable income.. what have you guys done?

You'd want a part time job while studying engineering or interning to get that income. You won't make much off engineering in the early years.

Studying AE is not so great. One year may be nice to get you in touch with doing stuff on real desks, with real gear etc. but beyond that you get as much misinformation from most of the courses as actual information. Most of it you can learn theoretically on the net, if you know where to look (like here), and as far as practical experience goes you can try to get a spot interning at a local studio, or set up your own cheap rig and just record, record, record (helps being in the middle of nowhere when blasting amps).

If you're not going back to school yet, I'd say you could get a full-time job for 2-3 months to get a good 2000-2500$ to spend on gear, you'll be happy you did once you'll go back to school and have no time to work. You can always quit if you're getting sick of it.
Buy some room treatment and good monitors, and crank the hell out of those amps on the farm where you live, the coolest studios ARE in the middle of nowhere.

who said anything about a farm? haha

yeah.. but my social life sucks and i have some friends to make bands with in the city (melbourne), which will never happen if i'm out here.

I know a guy who has a little studio and he's kind of well known locally, i'll be sure to get work with him as i know far more about modern techniques than he does so i'll be able to work on my skills/gain experience there, although it will be mainly crappy pop/maybe even country :S. he has some expensive outboard gear, but i dunno what it is..

and getting people out here to track them sucks whilst in the early stages and unknown.. :/

Why was I under the impression that you worked for some drum software company? Am I getting you confused with someone else?

You mixed him up with drew drummer I think.

At least thats what I did when I saw the title of the thread, I had a quick "wait hes still in hs wtf?!" kinda thought.

I just have to say, because I didn't do this in my last year of high school and I regret it whenever I think about it.

FUCK LOTS OF GIRLS!! there are so many opportunities, and at least for me - I was too young/stupid to notice them at the time... plus it won't be very long before the girls that are a-ok for you to go after now will make you just plain creepy. trust me on this one. oh yeah and wear condoms.

as for studio stuff - if you can get somewhere that is rent-free to start off, even if it is far from the city and whatnot - DO IT. it's such a headstart. and definitely DON'T go to school for it... it's bogus.