lets see some pics of everyones set up..

I have no idea! You can never have enough bass trapping, ESPECIALLY in smaller rooms like mine. The difference in the low-end is insane. I actually get notes now, even though the rather large bass null in my room still hasn't been helped. I tend to need bass-heavy monitors to compensate.

But yes, they are home-made, and it's a mixture of bass as well as broadband trapping. There are 19 panels in here at the moment. Any less is inadequate.

Ermin, looks nice. What is the size of your room? I am looking to do similar treatment.

Did you basically build a simple wooden frame and use rockwool?

-Joe

Joe,

My room dimensions are:
Length: 3.65m
Width: 3.42m
Height: 2.41m

Quite small from an 'acoustical purity' POV.

The panels are done on the very cheap. Pine frames, medium-density rockwool (32kg/m3) on the inside. Not ideal insulation, but here in Australia we're unfortunately stuck with very subpar acoustic insulation products. I've been researching more however and our next set of panels (the 'prototype' models) will involve better (and safer) insulation.

Joe,

My room dimensions are:
Length: 3.65m
Width: 3.42m
Height: 2.41m

Quite small from an 'acoustical purity' POV.

The panels are done on the very cheap. Pine frames, medium-density rockwool (32kg/m3) on the inside. Not ideal insulation, but here in Australia we're unfortunately stuck with very subpar acoustic insulation products. I've been researching more however and our next set of panels (the 'prototype' models) will involve better (and safer) insulation.

Cool, thanks man.

My room is slightly bigger. I'm still pondering what the ideal spots are for treatment like this. I'm curious about exact placement, etc.

I will probably try to build them as cheap as possible too.

Do you have an overhead "cloud"?

Thanks.

-Joe

Also, if you would, how would you recommend treating the area around a mic'd cabinet?

I plan on micing my cabinet in my untreated bedroom. (my music room will be treated).

Two panels around the cabinet? More? I want to be able to mic it without treating the room right now.

Thanks.

-Joe

For placement ideas perhaps visit the realtraps and GIK acoustics sites. The general rule is to place your mix position in the ideal spot and then treat the first reflection points from there. After that it's mainly an issue of bass trapping (there's never enough) and considering how dead you want the room in the higher freqs. Here in my room it's all parallel surfaces, so I've deadened the crap out of the walls and LOVE it.

Re: mic'd cab: Definitely. I would treat the rear and both sides. Heck even the floor if there's no carpet there. The danger here is to not create a bass trap IN the cab/mic zone by blocking everything off. I'm still not sure how to go about this as I haven't tried, but I assume that you can do damage to the mic's bass response by absolutely surrounding it with insulated panels. Perhaps have the panels a fair distance away, or experiment with different distances, all the while checking the clarity and phase of your mids and the tightness of your lows.

I personally always endeavor to track guitars in a medium to large sized live space (or 'dead space' if you will). I place the cab near the middle of the room, where the modal issues are either the least pronounced, or lead to bass nulls. One of the most annoying things is having to deal with all those untight lows and comb-filtering from reflective surfaces near the cab.

Good luck man!

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated. I have checked out Real Traps before, but will research further.

My mic'd room is probably similar to the size of your mix room. I suppose I will build four panels and experiment. My cab is a Mesa oversize, so it has big casters. Do you think this will decouple enough? It will also be on a carpeted floor.

Although the cab will be in the middle of the room, it will be surrounded by a book shelf, bed, dresser, and heating unit.

Thanks!

-Joe

That should be fine. If it's a Mesa Oversize I would seriously look into straddling AT LEAST the four upright corners in the room, as those cabs tend to boom out more than any other I've heard. Beyond that you could get away with maybe 3 broadbands - left, right and rear to prevent reflections back into the mic. Keeping the cab in the center of the room should, hopefully, minimize cab resonance, though I would be inclined to experiment positioning the cab all over the place to see if you find a 'sweet spot' in your particular environment.

Ah I see...gotcha. Thanks for the help dude. So basically just where the walls meet in the upper corners should be treated? In front of the cab isn't really necessary?

Cheers

-Joe

The whole corner where the walls meet should ideally be treated. Ideally, you'd want superchunk bass traps, which are essentially a stack of insulation from floor to ceiling. If you can't do that, then simply straddling the corner with a thick acoustic panel gets close enough.

Behind the cab shouldn't be necessary. Just behind the mic and to the sides of it should cut it. If you want to go one more you can treat the ceiling above the mic, but as I was saying, try not to box the mic in, at the risk of creating a bass trap.

The whole corner where the walls meet should ideally be treated. Ideally, you'd want superchunk bass traps, which are essentially a stack of insulation from floor to ceiling. If you can't do that, then simply straddling the corner with a thick acoustic panel gets close enough.

Behind the cab shouldn't be necessary. Just behind the mic and to the sides of it should cut it. If you want to go one more you can treat the ceiling above the mic, but as I was saying, try not to box the mic in, at the risk of creating a bass trap.

Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks man - I'll post some progress pictures when I start building em.

-Joe

Here's my control room.
Good size but not well enough treated yet.

Ansa1.JPG

NICE dude, but it seems a bit dark, and christ you have those Mackies far apart! :lol: I like the artwork on that far-right absorber, and what are those corner bass-traps made of?

NICE dude, but it seems a bit dark, and christ you have those Mackies far apart! I like the artwork on that far-right absorber, and what are those corner bass-traps made of?

Thanks man, it seems a bit dark in the picture but it's actually quite atmospheric in real life. The Diy basstraps have wooden surface with 1cm airgaps followed by fabric and behind the fabric thick layer of rockwool.