Lets settle this...

wicked34

Burn Forever
Apr 29, 2004
Cleveland, OH
i was having an argument with my friend the other day about what progressive rock is. i said Pink Floyd and Yes were definitely progressive rock bands, he thought i was crazy. he said those bands were something else that i don't quite remember and progressive rock was more like Dream Theater, which i have always defined as progressive rock metal. what do you guys think?

I think Floyd and Yes pretty much define the term "progressive rock". Your friend is nuts.

I'd say DT is somewhere between prog rock and prog metal.

Yep, those bands helped music "progress" from what it was then to what it is now. The influence of pink floyd in say, type o negative and similar atmospheric bands is undeniable and Yes set the standards for the elaborate, symphonic backed, concept oriented approach we have come to know and love from Aeryon and Shadow Gallery and such. Tell your friend he stinks!

Other than the fact that Floyd began as and retained much of their origins as a psych band, your friend does need to get his facts straight...even though there's always some room to debate, I've had several similar arguments about Rush, whom I have never considered metal apart from a few songs that were instrumental in shaping prog metal...

ha! i knew i was right. thanks guys. im gonna show him this thread and see what "mr. music" has to say then :heh:. anyone else who would like to back me up is most certainly welcome ;)

Demonspell said:
I've had several similar arguments about Rush, whom I have never considered metal apart from a few songs that were instrumental in shaping prog metal...

I agree. I've never considered anything Rush has done "metal", but songs like Natural Science, Cygnus X-1, and YYZ definitely shaped prog metal. I mean, the songs The Divine Wings Of Tragedy and A Change Of Seasons both have that "every instrument stops while one does a 2-measure mini-solo" thing going on, which I'm sure was started by Rush in various songs (YYZ and La Villa Strangiato, for example.)

OfSinsAndShred said:
Not sure if anyone said this yet, but be sure to point out Floyd's masterful concept albums.

So true, Dark Side of the Moon was a great concept....although bands like Iron Maiden have done concept albums (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) yet are not considered prog (altho i think sign of the cross could be close :err: )

MorphineChild205 said:
I agree. I've never considered anything Rush has done "metal", but songs like Natural Science, Cygnus X-1, and YYZ definitely shaped prog metal.
"Cygnus X-1", along with King Crimson´s "Starless" and even "21st Century Schizoid Man", are the definitive forefathers of Prog Metal in my opinion.