Let's talk about books and coffie :)

well it´s always selfreasuring when the rest are down in the mud! :p
Nah! really I don´t think that somebody could be as lose as Zoidberg, and I love him!!!!! :loco:

cheers and welcome onboard! ;)

Apocalyptica - Toreador II

you're welcome to post here :) we all love spam and sensless posts :D at least when it comes to me i doubt any of my latest post have any deeper meaning hehe

Yahoooooooooo!!!!!!!! tomorrow i'll start a new book.....which it will be,only tomorrow knows......

/trollie (the dark meaning of Liff)

FatherVic said:
can you really read a book in PDF????????

i can't even read 2 pages before getting dizzy...
and printing it is not an option since a printed original is way cheaper...

fv
*cough* [size=-10]I read all 5 HP in .txt format... the last one in an 18-hr never-interrupting session[/size] *cough* :saint:

Alfred (Now reading "It" in .doc)

Reactions: FatherVic
Alfred said:
*cough* [size=-10]I read all 5 HP in .txt format... the last one in an 18-hr never-interrupting session[/size] *cough* :saint:

Alfred (Now reading "It" in .doc)

:eek: :eek: TXT is the worst text file format ever and the whole process of reading HP in txt seems like a torment to me!!!!! :ill: really,doesn't it tire you??? I would feel strange not having pages to touch,not being able to lie in bed reading or take my bookie for a walk with me to the uni!!
the 18h reading session must have been a pleasure :)
I think i'd give you the daily award for patience :)

Ingy & Alfred: Btw,sth relevant! I've seen some sites selling e-books.....but hmmmmm have you bought these books?? and if so how much do they cost??? errrrr,those txts don't seem the stuff a company could sell :err: soooo,is it like some mp3s??

/troll (with strange strange questions)

P.S: Yesterday i got some chupi books i had ordered from a swedish bookshop.....neddless to say,i'm pissing on myself from happiness :D
:hotjump:

P.S2: today i started reading Johny and the dead.The best thing to start the day with,coffee and bookie.....Hmmm,i think i enjoy Pratchett's "childbooks" as much as the "adult" ones...or at least not significantly less...... Especially "the amazing maurice and his educated rodents" was wonderful,very cool idea!!

P.S3: tsts,it seems i'm a talking machine today :p

my bad manners!!!!!!! .cry: i forgot to say a big welcome to Alfred! It's nice seeing you here :)

/troll (okeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!!!!!I'm going to study,I promise :rolleyes: )

Well, it's the first time I hear of these places where e-books are sold, but I'm sure Alfred hasn´t bought his ones, nor me. I've found them when searching for stuff to download, but I'm not like Alfred and I can't stand in front of the screen for hours when reading.

On the other hand, books are cheap when comparing with DVD's or music, so I fail to see any advantage in downloading books from the net.

|ng.

First: ALFRED!!!!!!!

for the sacred lost raccoon!!!!! welcome!!!! I know you can't stay because otherwise you wouldn't be Alfred, but I'm very happy to see you drop by! :wave:

second: well I don't see much effort on that...I've read many Hewlett Packard instructions in digital format...which five exactly??? Any good printer recently??? :p
No, really! The five Harry Potter on .txt??? but the last one was something like 400 pages!!!! I mean, I mean...I MEAN!!!!! damn! but how! o_O ufffff 18 hours in a row...that's a MAN!!!!
oh, and it's nice that you are reading it in .doc...it must be nice...hehe
can I borrow "IT" for a while??? I will give it back when I finish :p
btw: how many pages is it? i mean, it?

@Ing: yeah! I agree, i don't think I could get pleasure in the same way with a .doc file anyway. I specially buy most of my books (lately) on ebay where you can find books in English extreeeeeeeemely cheap :)

fv (18 hours...txt...alfred is insane)

Ingy@ i've come across many pages selling e-books, even some sort of libraries where you can borrow e-bocks!! I guess some people find it practical.If nothing else it saves space in their bookshelves......

Luckily, it seems the vast majority of the mankind thinks the same way Melancholia depicted, the human race prefers to read a tangible book and hug it tightly before falling asleep. Otherwise, there would be an underground market of books, and a hefty traffic on the net, since to send a .doc/.pdf/.txt file is a quick process.

@Alfred: Yes, we know your personality refrains you from posting here regularly, but you also know that we actually appreciate your presence and contribution here, even from time to time. Enjoy!!! :wave:

|ng.

@ing: have you finished the Douglas Adams' book??? Did you like it???

now I'm reading the original radio Scripts of the Hichthiker's series...it's very cool, but it's hard to read only dialogs and F/X (sound effects)

yeah,indeed,did you like the bookie Ing???

I'm done with my "Johnny and the dead" (Pratchett)!it was quite nice,interesting story,but nothing to die for.....
Also read another book.This one i read in 1 day!!!it was veeeeeeery gripping,yet not the kind of book i would label as pleasant....The book is called "a child called it" and the author David Pelzer and actually it is a real story,it's a description of his horrible childhood and his striving to survive....His mum was mentally ill and abused him.....Horrible...it left me mixed feeling,both admiration for the person who went through this,but also a big why,why didn't some people do sth about it earlier...and a lot of other questions concerning the state of his mum and so on....... these situations feel me with sorrow :(

To get back into normality,i've started reading a funny book by a finnish guy,a booked called "oooooops,i'm dead"......sth like that....Dunno exactly the english title,cause i'm reading it in swedish........So far it seems very funny and the idea behind is quite nutty.....you have to be sort of gone in the head to write a story about a guy who dies in the most stupid way and then is able to go around as a spirit and do several stuff.......
Sounds cool so far :)

that's all for now :D

/trollion

This is a bit off topic but I just noticed that Melancholia and Fathervic are one post away from tieing eachother in post numbers!!!!

3,562 posts to 3,563 posts! Wow. Ever realized how big of a books-worth of posting you have between each other!? 7,125 posts worth! That would be at least a Thousand page book!

Now on to reading: The only thing I like about going back to my school is the amount of books in the school library. And yeah I know I don't have many friends, but oh well...who needs friends when you have your books? Now I have two more weeks of boredom to think of what book I will at the start of the year! Gotta make it a good book to because it's always a good luck charm if you start the school year off with a great book! No more Civil War books for a while because I just finished that 10 book series on The Photographical History of the Civil War (The American Civil War). That was rough after a while...reading all that material! Man this Asgaroth song is really cool.

Now where was I? Oh yeah.....I like to read but I am terrible at English! Screw it I give up....There's nothing more to talk about books right now. :)

Oh yeah and even though I am not really familiar with you guys yet...
It's pretty weird that Melancholia and Fathervic are almost tied in the number of posts they have!

Theredintheskyisours said:
And yeah I know I don't have many friends, but oh well...who needs friends when you have your books?

Do you really want me to answer to such a staggering assertion? Don't think so... :D

Theredintheskyisours said:
It's pretty weird that Melancholia and Fathervic are almost tied in the number of posts they have!

Yeah, who knows how many links they have in common...

|ng.

Hi theredinthesky!

well indeed mel and I have similar post numbers...but I wouldn't give much of a thought to it...She's 6 months older here on UM and well for a period we "raced" to see how was posting more, but I think nowadays we post more or less the same posts everyday and that's why normally the number is similar, though it's not normally the exact number :p

Sorry, but what do you mean that you are terrible at English??? Aren't you american????
Oh and try to read something about funny things, it makes everything much nicer!!!

for me I have now finished the original scripts of the Hitchhiker (it's amazing how different it was from the novels that were written afterwards!! :hotjump: ) and i've just started Feet Of Clay by my only master, Pratchett...too early to say anything about it, but I have a bad feeling about this one...dunno why :err:

fv

Melancholia said:
Ingy & Alfred: Btw,sth relevant! I've seen some sites selling e-books.....but hmmmmm have you bought these books?? and if so how much do they cost??? errrrr,those txts don't seem the stuff a company could sell :err: soooo,is it like some mp3s??
*Ah-hem*... Er... *cough*... but why should we really spend all this time to investigate on such not-really-relevant and very small details? *cough* :saint:

|ngenius said:
On the other hand, books are cheap when comparing with DVD's or music, so I fail to see any advantage in downloading books from the net.
Well, actually the main advantages, at least for me, are,
a) that no english significant books can be found here, if not waiting for a lot of months, so that the few bookshops who can order them make them arrive here (I don't have a credit card, so no Amazon unless I shamefully use some friend of mine, which I feel very uneasy in doing :() and spending an awful amount of money, mostly in not-advantaging-the-author abroad-shipping expenses, while this... *cough*... not very fair way of acting allows me to read almost anything I can dream of in english in about 10 minutes from the moment I have the idea to the moment i have the ebook in my hand. As soon as some family member will go to england, though, I'll ask them to buy a ton of books I've e-read and loved :)
b) that I can read while doing other stuff at the pc, and that reading gets far more easily inserted in my everyday pc activities that it'd be having a physical book in my hand to take, then leave to type, then take again, then leave again... it's really very useful, I assure you...
c) I have, I admit it, an almost feticist care of my books, and I really hate when one of them gets ruined in any part (I'm probably the only person in the world whose copy of "It" still has an almost perfect border after three readings, because I read it in a really absurd way, opening the pages till about half of them, and losing probably a lot of sight on it), and having books in a form I can del with freely, and with no fear to damage their physical support, really makes me enjoy the reading, and re-reading, and re-reading, a lot :)
FatherVic said:
First: ALFRED!!!!!!!

for the sacred lost raccoon!!!!! welcome!!!! I know you can't stay because otherwise you wouldn't be Alfred, but I'm very happy to see you drop by! :wave:
Arfgh.... er, thanks :) It's nice to see you all again, too, though, as you said, I can never stay for long. :)

FatherVic said:
can I borrow "IT" for a while??? I will give it back when I finish :p
btw: how many pages is it? i mean, it?
About 1200... When do you want to start? ;)

FatherVic said:
fv (18 hours...txt...alfred is insane)
Er... definitely :rolleyes:

|ngenius said:
@Alfred: Yes, we know your personality refrains you from posting here regularly, but you also know that we actually appreciate your presence and contribution here, even from time to time. Enjoy!!! :wave:

|ng.
Real thanks to you, too, |ng :)

@FV:I liked Feet of Clay a lot, actually, though less than Men at Arms. It has a very interesting and nice plot, or maybe it's just me who was stupid enough to not see through it immediately, who knows... :rolleyes: In any case, sursum corda :)

Well.. what else can I say? Oh, yes, about the books that hit me lately... anyone knows and appreciates Peter Høeg? I've started reading stuff from him (in italian, of course, though I've never wished more than now to know Danish *sigh*) this spring, and after two books I'm really amazed: it's one of the best things I've read in these last 3 years...

Alfred (read-only mode)

FatherVic said:
Hi theredinthesky!

Sorry, but what do you mean that you are terrible at English??? Aren't you american????

First of all, hi back! Second of all, I flunked English class! People who's second language is English are better at it then my own, native language! Third of all, Fathervic, you're the website editor/creator person of the Asgaroth website right? Well.......GET TO WORK! HEHE!

Na just messin with ya.

Books are good. Why are they good? Because they are. Yup. :D

Edit: Just to give you a good idea of how bad I am at English...I had to edit this post three times already! That and I tend to studder sometimes! :D