Let's talk about books and coffie :)

|ngenius said:
Eons have passed since the last time I knew something coming from Julio, since the 2nd Machina Rock. In any case, I prefer the english version, it provides some helpful english lessons. :D

|ng.
well I'm quite in touch with him...let's say that it's nearly three years that I have a love affair with him via e-mail. But for an inexplicably reason we just kept it on email :loco: (though this time he's playing the girl role)

He is doing extremely great...Finished a short animated film with a very succesful reviews!
it IS probable that he will be in Barcelona during my trip (just coincidence this time) for a 3D Animation contest being held there...we will see if we're lucky!

fathervic (counting back)

Now reading at the time:

a) Neil Gaiman's American Gods
b) Terry Pratchett's Small Gods (yes, I like gods, so what?)

I've also downloaded the e-book version of Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story", one of my favorite books ever. :)

|ng.

Now reading: Of course Napolean and the French Revolution. Big book.

Oh yeah and I just now got done reading The Crucible in my American Literature class. God, I hate that class and that book. Well, I don't mind the book, but I hate the assignments that I have to do after I read it. The final test on it took forever.

@Ing: which is your opinion so far about both????

@theredin: well I see you're still in your militar-like literature...can I ask you a question??? which is your approach towards the whole Columbine HS massacre?? No that I think that you would do something like that, but well, I've recently seen Bowling For Columbine (recommended by Ingenius) and was blown by it, and I've been getting a lot of info about the whole massacre thing (a lot!!!) And well, I just wanted to hear an opinion from somebody from the states who for sure would have a difference experience in a USA highschool or the whole guns issue...

fathervic (blown away)

Decided to bring this back! Umm but to finally answer Fathervic's question, I really thought it was weird because one of the boys that killed the several teenagers used to live in Oscoda, Michigan which is where my cottage is at. Or at least it's 15 miles away! But I feel bad both for the kids who killed all those kids and the people who died too. Well, in America in the suburbs it is quite difficult to be a "non-conformer" to the American society. Although in some cases this is not true, but in most parts being a less fortunate kid going to school in a rich neighborhood, it is usually difficult not to be picked on. Or if you have a mental disability, the same usually happens. It is true that Columbine is one of those "abnormally normal" cities in Surburbia, U.S.A.

What I am highly against, is the assortment of weapons that you can purchase easily in America. I'm sorry, but an M-16 is not used for hunting or grenades are not used for hunting! Or a Mac-10! I really have a dislike towards Charlton Heston and his NRA (National Rifle Association). But there is my two cents on the subject. Killing should never be a result of something that can be solved in a peaceful manner. I mean, your high school career is really short and if you just wait it out, something great might happen to you to shun all those people who critiszed (Spelling?) you or put you down.

Anyways, well I am now reading a book called "In Search of the Dark Ages". I really love it and I really love the story of "Boudica's Revolt". It is personally one of my favorite time periods to study in history, because just in a hundred years up until Boudica's Revolt (She was a woman who led the Iceni to a near victory in rebelling against Roman aggression. The years of the revolt were anno 60-61. (The Iceni lived near Colchester, Briton. Or I think that's the name of the city.), many things were happening to transform the Roman Empire. Oh yeah, I favor the Barbarians by the way!!!!!
But yeah, I really enjoy reading that book. It also talks about King Arthur, who might I add, a real person (Or so the theory goes. Archaeologists are certain enough, but I personaly would like to know that King Arthur was actually a real person. That would be so awesome!)

Yup. Great book!

Sorry about all those sentence fragments and spelling errors! I need to go back to English class!

Oh yeah I gotta bring this to you guys. I forgot to mention that my school went through 3-4 bomb threats since Columbine. One was actually really close and this person I knew received a death threat in her locker in 6th Grade.

Hey!!! thanks a lot for your reply!!!!

I'm glad to know that we have the same approach to the problem!!!

When somebody says that he has 2 guns, 1 semiautomatic pistol and an M-16 just as self defense, I wonder about who are they affraid of??? A small army of burglars??? Could anybody really expect to shoot more than 50 times if a burglar breaks into??? that's plainly insane and brings more trouble!

I always thought that it's simply wrong to have such and easy access to fire arms...it's bound to fall on wrong hands!!!!

Personally, I read about humour books because I find them nice to fly my mind away from the bad things of this world, but I think that I should read some historical books to fill some lakes of knowledge i have! So I might ask you for some recomends! :)

thanks again for your at least 90 cents ;)

fv

FatherVic said:
Hey!!! thanks a lot for your reply!!!!

I'm glad to know that we have the same approach to the problem!!!

When somebody says that he has 2 guns, 1 semiautomatic pistol and an M-16 just as self defense, I wonder about who are they affraid of??? A small army of burglars??? Could anybody really expect to shoot more than 50 times if a burglar breaks into??? that's plainly insane and brings more trouble!
Hey no problem! Why would someone need a gun against a burglar when you can sit them down with a nice cup of tea and talk it over hehe!!!!!!????? (Kidding, kidding!) But really what is there to be afraid of? Even out here where I live in the suburbs people lock their doors, and have a bunch of guns in their house. Just like what you saw in "Bowling for Columbine"!

Oh yeah and to further reply to another question you had, a great historical novel is "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose. And another recomendation to you is to pick up the HBO mini-series "Band of Brothers". That is the greatest mini-series I've ever seen. But, may I ask what are some really great comedy books? I have trouble trying to read anything else other than "Historical non-fiction" war books because I have an attention deficit problem. I just normally can't pay attention to a book unless if it is an awesome book. Historical non-fiction books are my thing just becuase of my huge imagination! Well, it's not the gore of the battles that I like, it's the "Art of War" that I love. The colors of the uniforms, the weapons, the strategy, the aristocratic generals, and the politics involved. I also like them because it helps me broaden my view on current wars. I dislike the absolute brutality of war judging on the fact that a lot of wars weren't inevitable and it was just human ignorance that cause these obscenities. For me it's just way for me to see the "past turn into the future".

But anyways, Fathervic, if you are going to read historical non-fiction books, I would go with something less violent and more adventure, I would read up on the true story of King Arthur. Even though it is set in the darkest age in British history, it is still very interesting to quite a few people. Did I mention that King Arthur is becoming fact more than fiction nowadays? So if you read "King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" some inferences may be fact, some may be fiction. Either that or read about "The art of war" time period of Neo-Medieval Europe to the Napoleanic Wars. That's what I would recomend you to study or read. Do not however read about the Jewish holocaust of WW2! You'll find yourself with three boxes of Kleenix (Sp?)!

Now I must go and play dungeons and dragons in the woods behind my house!

Yeap, I've got "Band Of Brothers" in DVD taken from unofficial places and I agree, it's a very accurate production, awesome photography and damn well focused on the story. But I totally dislike war related stories, so I just watched the two first episodes (of 10).

Btw, I'm done with Pratchett's Small Gods, and I really liked it, but... I started with the first Wheel of Time book, so I have 4 books to read at the time once again. :erk: Thanks to FV for the suggestion with the book, I loved Brutha and its tortoise!!

|ng (Who downloads almost everything!)

@theredin! wow, thanks...I will for sure check it when i'm back in Spain...i suppose that i will check first for that uhmmm "not_so_official" DVD the robot has :p

As for your question...well fantasy is fantasy and you can find millions of tons and in millions of colors and shapes. Now, for super funny-weird-semihistorical-humorously-literatured-weaponry I think that your best choice would be picking a bit of Pratchett (Mr. Terry "I'm the king" Pratchett, that is!). For me he's the master...some would say that he's no more than a clown with an amazingly huge dictionary, others would simply say that he is a genius god, but no more than that.
If you don't know where to start from i think there are two main dishes to try out so you can check without having to undergo a pain in the ass by reading 30 books at once. The first would be Good Omens, written along with Neil Gaiman which would take place in a day like today. Amazingly funny and terribly original.
The second would be Eric. Why Eric and not any other book from his series of the Discworld?? Well because I loved it. "Yeah!" you would say, "and which Pratchett book you haven't loved?" And you'd have a point there! But Eric is shorter than any other and it goes to three little mixed stories which for me show perfectly what all the novels from the Discworld are about. Just to throw some irony and sarcasm to the face of humanity for humanity's sake!

So go on, and try something and then come and tell me how much you've loved it...then i'll feel happy to have engaged yet another pilgrim to the Pratchettian Readers Horde! :Spin:

@ingenius: Glad you liked it...I also thought it was a great great great book...the only problem it has is that it has just a limit of pages and when you've read them all, it finishes...it's never that nice when it happens, eh?
How's it going with American God's????

As for me...it's so long I forgot to mention the books i was reading here...
A couple Salvatore, a couple of gaiman and three Pratchett more (though one was an adaption to theatre of Guards! Guards!)
From those I would just like to recomend with all my strengh, two.
The first would be Neil Gaiman's Coraline...is mainly for kids so you can read it in a couple of days, but it's scary and leaves you drooling with the incredible imagination of this guy...amazing.
The second would be Pratchett's Hogfather. Simply incredible. If Christmas period is one of your favourite seasons of the year, and you want to check how Death himself is trying to deliver presents to the kids of the Discworld, then this is your book :Spin:

For now i'm reading the second Dirk Gentrly novel by Douglas Adams. It's called The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. It has very funny parts but so far 70 pages out of 245 it's not THAT good as I expected...well I suppose Adams left all his wit in the Hitchhiker's series...so wathagonnado!

fv (bufff)

heja all!!!

long since i haven't post here....so now you'lll have to put up with me for some lines...and also re-read the last huge post of FV :p

so,let´s start:

FatherVic said:
I also thought it was a great great great book...the only problem it has is that it has just a limit of pages and when you've read them all, it finishes...it's never that nice when it happens, eh?
sometimes it's a pity that some books have an end :cry: There have been times that i wish i could feel the heroe even after the story's end...have you ever felt that way???
Recently i felt that way when i finished the book i was reading "eddie's bastard" by William Kowalski... if you are interested in narrative of childhoods i think you should definitely read this!! i don´t really know if it was a real stody, i mean self-biography of the author, or just totally fiction (which many of the things described in the book could actually happen), but i have to say it was definitely worth reading..The book was about the early years & the teenage years of a boy, who has to grow up with his grandpa after his mum left him as a baby in a basket in the stairs of the grandpa´s house... the child´s dad has died in war...The story was very interesting as story and above all it was written with lots of humour...To give an example:I laughed my ass of in the part where the boy (who lived somewhere in the states) travels to montreal to visit a friend of his. One day as he goes around in town he sees a demonstation and wonders what the heck it is. A quebecian next to him realizes that the boy is american and tells him that he generally doesn't like americans, but he looks different so he starts a conversation and makes him believe that the demonstration was about the independence of Quebec...Our hero joins and starts shouting stuff in french, which he doesn't understand anyway, until he notices that the people not involved in the demonstration shout at him insulting stuff,call him "gay" and also some of the demionstrants hold signs with stuff like " viva the difference"...he is of course taking part in a demonstration of homosexual people!!!! without having realized!! he realizes he goes away,but there comes a camera and a journalist asking him stuff, but the only thing he says is "i don't know!! i was protesting for a free Quebec" :loco: I know, i know, my description sucks, but it was so cool in the book.
There were sad parts of course and maybe even the way the centralfigure of the book lived his childhood was a bit dull or tragic, but i liked the way he was observing things and thinking on things..Anyway even the sad parts weren´t like the typical miserable parts you find in a book,so the book wasn´t really heavy...I also loved the humourous parts and generally i think i would recommend it....
when the book finished i felt so much into the story that it was sad i couldn't follow the hero more and get to see what could happen to him afterwards...

I've read quite many books since the last time i came here. Another one i would recommend is Neil Gaiman´s "Coraline". FV has already mentioned that one... I liked it quite a lot, even if it was for kids and it actually didn+t scare me... anyway, i liked the idea behind the story a lot and i'm looking forward to read more stuff from mr Gaiman...

Currently I'm reading Kerstin Ekman´s "händelser vid vatten" (english title: Blackwater)..i+ve just read 100 pages from the 450sth so far, so more on that later :) I'll only say that it is about a murder,it's superinteresting and i like the environment where it takes place...

/trollaki

I don´t think I could read that sort of books...I always prefer humour with lots of irony and bitter clothwashing ;)

As for me I have been caught in a horrible moment where i´m so busy that I can´t read as much as I would love to...right now i´m reading Imagenes en Accion. I already read this book in it´s original version in English (Moving Pictures, by Pratchett) and now it has come the translated version in Spanish, so I´m reading it again.

I also finished before it Michael Moore´s Stupid White Men...what a great book...I simply bow to the intelligence of this guy...it´s a human flamethrower! but it´s also sad when you see how some things work in this world...but well, that´s another story!

I'm reading Spring Snow by Mishima Yukio, the first book of a tetralogy (The Sea of Fertility), his last piece of work before he committed seppuku in public in 1970.

Awesome artist, and this book is no exception.

If some of you are big fans of litterature, I recommend you read "The Golden Pavillion" by Mishima. I read this while listening to Ulver's Perdition City and it almost changed my life ;)

Melancholia said:
I've never heard of him before,but did a quick search tonight and discovered that he has books entitled " Borderlines", "history of danish dreams" and "Woman and the ape"...I wonder what they are about...Alfred?
"Borderliners" and "Woman and the ape" I haven't read yet, unfortunately. "History of danish dreams" is, in short, a picture of the history of 20th century seen through the filter of cultural/social/behavioural danish archetypes (at least according to the author), structured through three generation of an imaginary family. And it's also probably the best book I've read in the past year. Definitely worth reading.

Btw, how is everybody? :)

Alfred said:
Btw, how is everybody?

Very pleased to read you, frankly. Even in brief posts, you're always welcome, and this is not simple courtesy, it's my very sensation. Hope you're doing well, I'm... I'm doing my best and walking my way, but this damn stormy weather almost kills me.

|ng.

Alfred@ hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :) how great to see you!!! I hope you are doing fine :)
Thank you for the recommendations..."History of danish dreams" sounds very interesting :) I've put it in my "to read list" and hope i'll get it soon...
as for how we are all doing, i'm doing quite well, some days less well, somedays better..and preparing for a new chapter in my life...in a new country :) i hope it will be as exciting as i would like it to be

Blue moon@ thanks for the recommendation :) i also put that in my list!! there are soooooooooooo many books i want to read *freaks out*
i wonder in which way "the golden pavillion" almost changed your life?

I'm currently reading Douglas Coupland's "all families are psychotic"... 85 pages read so far, but it is soooooo amazing, so modern and interesting with a very nice humour that i wish i had enough time to lock myself in the house and read read read the whole book non-stop!! It is really pleasant,even if some unpleasant stuff are happening in the book...
a total chaotic family!! i loooooooove it
i came across many witty parts while reading and i would love to quote some stuff, but grrrrrrr i didn´t note down the number of the pages and now i can't find the quotes :yell:
quotes will arrive soon, namely ;)

:wave: tell me,tell me, people, what are you reading????

ALFRED....LFRED....FRED....RED....ED....D!!!!!!!
Hav you noticed that way you have three different mundane names!!!??? that's experimentation for you...well or at least for me :p
HOW ARE YOU!!! and why you connect once a trillion years???

I'm happy to see you are ok =)

as you may have noticed I'm in Spain and the troll is still in Greece so it's not the best way to be when the world is all fluffy and pink...pinkiness is a thing of two!!!! but well...patience and a lot of studying!

as for books...i'm still reading Imagenes en Acción which is the translation to Spanish from Moving Pictures from Terry Pratchett. I'd already read the book, but in English...and since i'm totally sick, I decided to read it again but in spanish...yeah...i'm a bit of a freak!

hope to see you soon again!!!

fv

|ngenious said:
Very pleased to read you, frankly. Even in brief posts, you're always welcome, and this is not simple courtesy, it's my very sensation.
The same for me, |ng. The same for me. Sometimes I really wish I had more time and more meaningful things to say on UM. But when I do, it's something meaningful to me to be here again. And this is not simple courtesy either.
Melancholia said:
Alfred@ hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :) how great to see you!!! I hope you are doing fine :)
Thank you for the recommendations..."History of danish dreams" sounds very interesting :) I've put it in my "to read list" and hope i'll get it soon...
as for how we are all doing, i'm doing quite well, some days less well, somedays better..and preparing for a new chapter in my life...in a new country :) i hope it will be as exciting as i would like it to be
The best possible of lucks from me to both of you for this, I mean what I say :)
Melancholia said:
:wave: tell me,tell me, people, what are you reading????
Right now, tons and tons of books about infinity, because of a thing I have to prepare for uni. Because of some advice I found somewhere, I decided to give a chance to a series of children's books called "An unfortunate series of events" by a guy pen-named Lemony Snicket. Of course in Italy they've never heard about it, so, as usual, I'll have to d-buy it on the net :D but not before my work for uni (also main reason why I'm online sometimes at night) is done.

FatherVic said:
ALFRED....LFRED....FRED....RED....ED....D!!!!!!!
Hav you noticed that way you have three different mundane names!!!???
That's six, I'd say, and I particuarly suggest "D": cheap to type ;)

FatherVic said:
HOW ARE YOU!!! and why you connect once a trillion years???
See above answers to mel *sigh* busy, busy as hell... *deep sigh* :(

FatherVic said:
as you may have noticed I'm in Spain and the troll is still in Greece so it's not the best way to be when the world is all fluffy and pink...
I noticed, I noticed... to me, the world tends to become fluffy and pink mostly when I smash my head against furniture as it happened about ten minutes ago entering home *ouch* but I think it's still fluffy and pink enough to see your point :p

Alfred (here today, bones tomorrow)

Alfred!!!@ hello again :))
it really feels nice to see you here!! thank you for wishes =)

two weeks ago,i was in a bookshop and checked for Peter Höegs stuff in english,but found nothing unfortunately :(
TODAY i came to realize something and i¨m still so surprised!! there is a danish book translated in swedish and called in swedish "fröken smillas känsla för snö" (in english it should be "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow"),which i wanted to buy for a long long time...today i went to a bazaar made by the scandinavian church here.they had used books on a very cheap price and so i came across a copy of it!! grabbed it immediately of course (pissed my pants from happiness :p)...I knew it was from a danish guy , but it was only when i returned home that i realized that the guy is actually Peter Höeg!!!! how great!!!!!!!!!!!!! =))
you´d been talking about this author and i had somehow gotten interested in getting sth from him, but i had no clue that this book i´ve wanted to read for so long was written by him!!! amazing coincidence =)

Good luck, success and patience with your evil uni stuff :)
take care!!

/trollaki

P.S: "d-buy" :loco: