List some bands that you really don't like but society says you are supposed to like.

Helloween does suck cock live. I remember Wacken 04 I went to check them out meanwhile all my friends stayed in the base camp, asking me if I was crazy and didn't know they sucked. After they started to butcher Future World, I was forced to run away.

Agreed about modern day Helloween but Kiske era Helloween rules (though Pink Bubbles go Ape was rubbish). The first two Keeper albums are fantastic. Kai Hansen's influence there mind you.

Still remember (before the Interweb) the strong rumours that Kiske was going to replace Bruce in Maiden when he left them - only to hear Blaze got the gig.

Agreed about modern day Helloween but Kiske era Helloween rules (though Pink Bubbles go Ape was rubbish). The first two Keeper albums are fantastic. Kai Hansen's influence there mind you.

Still remember (before the Interweb) the strong rumours that Kiske was going to replace Bruce in Maiden when he left them - only to hear Blaze got the gig.

I remember it was the vocals I hated the most about Helloween, so if they'd have got Kiske instead of Blaze for Maiden it would have made no difference to me. I fucking hate both their voices.

I really have tried to like Michael Jackson since he's so praised, I really like 'Smooth Criminal', (alot better than the Alien Shit Farm version), but that's it. The rest of his music is either too urban for me to relate to, or is dance shit.

I really have tried to like Michael Jackson since he's so praised, I really like 'Smooth Criminal', (alot better than the Alien Shit Farm version), but that's it. The rest of his music is either too urban for me to relate to, or is dance shit.
my fav. songs by him are 'Beat It' and 'Dirty Diana'.

That's true. I like Keepers. Kai Hansen's much better off with Gamma Ray.

Me too. I never got why Rob Halford was/is so worshiped and considered "The Metal God" I have always thought his vocal style was cheesy. High pitched screams are cool for a minute I guess but it gets old really fast and has a big time cheese factor. I liked the Priest songs where he didn't go all high pitched the entire song. But there was always some cheese factor with Judas Priest that was hard for me to get over.

But I do respect the shit out of them and give them their props for being one of the first metal bands ever. Just didn't get how people worshiped them as gods.

Mercyful fat is hilarious. I love the vocals it is so over the top high pitched at times that is is honestly funny. I put together a compilation about 5 years ago with all the bands I have heard with the highest pitched vocals and mercyful fate made it on there several times.

I think the thing with Priest is that perhaps I was born to late to really appreciate them. I mean by the time I starting listening to metal they were releasing "Ram It Down" and I thought it was utter shit compared to what I was listening to at the time (Anthrax, Metallica, etc). The only song of theirs that I like the singing is Painkiller. I don;t mind Halford per se, I mean I love the first Fight album--well ok mostly for the music

And Merciful Fate, I remember being in like 7th grade and my friend was introducing me to some of his brothers metal collection, and he gave me Venom and King Diamond--and I'll never forget the chorus to the Diamond song, it was like "Grandma get out of that chair, I want to feel you" and I was like WTF is this shit--its awful--I thought the lyrics were about someone wanting to molest their grandmother and the vocals were the worst thing I ever heard. I really did try to get into Fate and K. Diamond but I just couldn't.

Don't get me wrong, I like singers that can sing in that range (well perhaps not King's higher range) like Joey B, John Arch, Ray Adler, etc

And Merciful Fate, I remember being in like 7th grade and my friend was introducing me to some of his brothers metal collection, and he gave me Venom and King Diamond--and I'll never forget the chorus to the Diamond song, it was like "Grandma get out of that chair, I want to feel you" and I was like WTF is this shit--its awful--I thought the lyrics were about someone wanting to molest their grandmother and the vocals were the worst thing I ever heard. I really did try to get into Fate and K. Diamond but I just couldn't.

Don't get me wrong, I like singers that can sing in that range (well perhaps not King's higher range) like Joey B, John Arch, Ray Adler, etc

Man, Welcome Home is a metal masterpiece!

Remember that rumour as well. Kiske got rejected because he wasn't British and not a soccer fan (the 2 main criteria to be able to become a band member of Iron Maiden :erk: ). I think Pink Bubbles is still by far better than any album made with Andi Deris in it....

"DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE!!" :headbang::headbang:

The Pumpkins are alright. They've released their fair share of crap, but they've got some good songs as well.

I don't think they qualify as hipster rock these days though. They probably lost that status around the release of Adore.

I actually listened to them on my way to work today. They are releasing 44 free songs on their website, and the same songs can also be bought as rather expensive ep box sets. So far, 8 songs (or two box sets) have been released. It's pretty good. Kind of mellow. Some of the tunes are a wee bit prog-like as well (although not in a very obvious sense).

I love the Smashing Pumpkins. Mostly because they sound different than anything else out there, and the world need more unique artists.

I ditched MJ for my sisters collection of Dead Kennedy's and other punk bands in the mid 80's. Then I really got into Maiden, Metallica and anything else that was NOT pop or top 40. I remember my stepmother getting pissed about Black Sabbath and Black Flag... "Are you on drugs" ? ... me... "No but living with you and how you treat me sometimes it might not be a bad idea."

Subsuquently got the cord to my stereo cut by here with it still plugged in...I had to hold back from laughing. She threw one of my radios out of my window down to the ground...Me... I just went picked it up that afternoon and plugged it back in.

Welcome to my childhood lol.