Literature

currently I am reading Proust,20 pages away from ending the second book.I like russian literature from the 19th century.
I think James Joyce is good,tho I don't like any of his books,tho I have only read Dubliners and Portrait

I've been reading Titus Groan(1st book of Gormenghast Triology)these days.It's written by Mervyn Peake who is accepted as the strongest "competitor" of Tolkien.Oh and there's a gardener in the book named Pentecost :lol:

Originally posted by oe
hey IVO, have u heard epitaph in its original version?(king crimson)
Nope...
but it is a great song anyway...
Hm guys, what about Raymond Feist - they say he is like Tolkien - I like very much the book "Darkness Over Sethanon" (or something like that) it has a huge war with trolls, moredels (orcs) etc... very cool!

Originally posted by cedarbreed
Puis arrêtes d'écouter Mass Hysteria, ça rend positif ...

t'as vu mtchk. nan mais j'ai eu le skeud hier c pour ça sa mere tu vois, j'écoutais sa race. et en fait c pas mal sa grand mere t'as vu mtchk.

One of my favorite writers is Michael Ende!
" The mirror inside the mirror'' is totally amazing! Anybody red it??? Psycho-pesimistic-collage of our plastic brave new world...
I now read ''The alchemist'' by Paulo Coelho, it's simple but deep.

Originally posted by mehdi.i.e.e.e

t'as vu mtchk. nan mais j'ai eu le skeud hier c pour ça sa mere tu vois, j'écoutais sa race. et en fait c pas mal sa grand mere t'as vu mtchk.

bon j'avoue j'aime bien ... mais je les ai vu trois fois en concert et la ça défouraille vraiment sa race la pute son oncle mtchk

I'm reading 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzsche as well as 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. The latter is a physics book that deals with string theory and is very interesting.

I just finished 'War and Peace' after way too long a time. I read it on and off with some other things, but it was well worth it.

I loved War and Peace as well - especially the characters of Bolkonsky and pierre, but didnt one think it could have been 500 pages shorter- the first one hundred pages are almost worthless. Although, Tolstoy really got his plea for love and brotherhood across quite honestly- which is more one can say for just about any other author.

Originally posted by Elmarad
I now read ''The alchemist'' by Paulo Coelho, it's simple but deep.
gaak! disgusting book. just like that richard bach dude, those patronizing new-agers and their saccharine bicycle reinventions... a simple haiku has so much more depth than all their efforts.

Originally posted by neph
hm.. nobody wants to hear that... thousands and thousands of pages of weird f***ing stuff for my exams :yuk:
but apart from that, everything. Favourite books are Dubliners (James Joyce), The Red and The Green (Iris Murdoch), all the stuff by Virginia Woolf, Gothic novels, Lord of the Rings, also mythological, political stuff, books on psychology... anybody fallen asleep already :lol: okay, I'll stop here... :erk:

not really! im especially very much surprised that someone likes james joyce so much. great choice there, neph.

Originally posted by D Mullholand
'the portrait of an artist in youth' by James Joyce is the best book i've read so far - and i've begun 'ulysses' this week, which seems to be even better. fantastic books.

i'm a huge admirer of Kafka, Borges, Huxley, Burroughs (William), and got a very tall unread pile on my table... what else... of course, Stanislaw Lem and Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick - i was a SF fan before, but now i find that most of the books i liked sort of pale. so, i've still got a world to discover. any suggestions anybody?

ulysses will definitely be the hardest book you'll get to read in your life, mullholand. though, some people seem to find his style very "natural" as the guys just jots down anything he comes to his mind...in a senseful way of course. his style was called something but i dont remember now. oh and happy birthday by the way, mulholland. :)

oh and i love ray bradbury, too. "montag" is one of the characters i will never forget in my life.

Originally posted by oe
im reading freud to impress girls. ho ho ho..no. im reading 'civilization and its discontents' by frued..hey IVO, have u heard epitaph in its original version?(king crimson)

yes, i have. it's one of my fave tracks ever. the saddest, gloomiest lyrics i've ever heard. what about it?

Originally posted by requiem
I'm reading 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' by Nietzsche as well as 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. The latter is a physics book that deals with string theory and is very interesting.

I just finished 'War and Peace' after way too long a time. I read it on and off with some other things, but it was well worth it.

good old nietzsche! after him, a bit of varg vikernes or mayhem will do you good, requiem, wont it???

any other tolstoy you have read requiem?

Originally posted by D Mullholand

gaak! disgusting book. just like that richard bach dude, those patronizing new-agers and their saccharine bicycle reinventions... a simple haiku has so much more depth than all their efforts.

haikus do have a lot of depth, actually... more than their length implies...

ivo - thanks for the thread. you can see i love it. :)

oh and one grammatical mistake i caught in one of my posts: i said "guys" while talking about joyce. well, that should have been singular.

im currently reading a turkish writer/journalist/researcher, ugur mumcu.