Literature

Originally posted by Don Corleone

any other tolstoy you have read requiem?

Nope, that was my sole foray into the world of the big fella. I just came out the back end of a Literature/History degree so the last four years have kept me busy with prescribed reading, but nothing Russian unfortunately :cry:

Hm,
since we are speaking for more serious literature, what about Dostoewski... I think he's amazing, especially "Crime And Punishment" huh?

The Metamorphosis
The Castle.
these are the ones I like, but I'm not sure about the translation of the tiltles, coz our translators sometimes change the original titles and that's very annoying...
btw, I can not understand why you worry about the grammar or any mistakes you do while you speak english...damn it, it's not your native language - nobody here expects you to speak it perfectly!! Or?

i think they are the exact titles. i've read the metamorphosis, and i own the castle but havent read it yet.

aah, the metamorphosis. i have never read anything like it. amazing novel/story. what was the name of the spider?

oh, yeah grammatical errors...i dont know. it's just the way i am. sorry if i look bothersome.

ulysses will definitely be the hardest book you'll get to read in your life, mullholand. though, some people seem to find his style very "natural" as the guys just jots down anything he comes to his mind...in a senseful way of course. his style was called something but i dont remember now. oh and happy birthday by the way, mulholland. :)
don't know about 'hardest', hehe, i've got PROUST lined up next! (yes, Joyce demands a focus, but so does every good book - i just read him like poetry.)

and zanks for the grats.
i think they are the exact titles. i've read the metamorphosis, and i own the castle but havent read it yet.
wo ho hooh!! 'the castle' will be the hardest book you'll get to read in your life! :p actually i believe i've read all of Kafka by now, including the diaries and so on. the text is very hard, but i just read it slow and imagined it were a Lynch film - the 'visual' style of Kafka is what i love about his books the most.

Back to the good old sci-fi, huh?
What about the humour of Robert Sheckley?

I recently finished 'Crime and Punishment' and am now reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories called The Black Seas of Infinity.

Some of my favorite books:

The Stranger - Albert Camus

Neverwhere - Neal Gaiman

Illusions - Richard Bach

On the Road - Jack Kerouac

The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger

among others......

my faves:

Steppenwolf, by Hermann Hesse
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
A Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez
Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
Bestiary, by Julio Cortázar
The Labyrinth of Solitude, by Octavio Paz

Dead Russian writers... and Kafka too :worship: Everything else compared to them is just insignificant. But again... who am I to judge, right?

you are the reader, of course you have the right to judge...but thats a very bold statement to make.

Hey Don, I was thinking maybe you could tell us something about Rumi, I find his 'work' great but maybe tisA different in the original:confused:

Originally posted by ANEBO
Hey Don, I was thinking maybe you could tell us something about Rumi, I find his 'work' great but maybe tisA different in the original:confused:

he's the man. if only everyone read about him, then the world would be such a better place, and not this shithole.

to be honest, i have never read any of his works, but ive read A LOT about him and his philosophy. what would you like to know? doesnt his stuff speak for itself? you read it, anebo, you go ahead and tell us all.