Local Metal bands

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Let's have some fun. We all have local bands we either grew up with, or ones we knew of, or knew personally.

One of my fav local bands from back in the day (for me, the mid/late 80s, DC area) was my buddy's band called Valhalla. It so happens that he has a tune online I can share. Progressive, in the vein of Crimson Glory/Fates style I would say, loved them:

https://www.reverbnation.com/tomboltonmusic/song/1623996-invitation-to-dream-valhalla-1990

Here's one from my old band back in the day (I play lead/sing - band called O'Minion). This was early on in my "learning to sing" days, so be easy! I'd say a nice chunk of thrash for the time (1990-92).

http://metalages.com/ominion/Ominion-One_Man.mp3

Another couple bands that were local to me that ended up gaining some notoriety:

Mystic Force
They had a killer album called "Shipwreck With the Wicked" which was in the vein of Fates Warning's "Awaken the Guardian".

25539.jpg

Also Wrathchild America was another local fav:

I saw a video of the original dudes jamming together recently, maybe we'll get another run?

WV is garbage for heavy music.
These guys are always around though.

Hericide

Brimstone Coven

And the mildly famous one, Karma to Burn

Instrumental stoner jam stuff. They're alright while drinking in a shitty bar, I'll admit. (which is the only way I've saw them)

Zoetrope, Aftermath, Master ( All Speckmann projects really), Sindrome, Wrath, Macabre, Trouble, Thrust, Burnt Offering, Impulse Manslaughter were all local and popular when I was growing up. There were also bands like Quick Change, Tyrants Reign and many others that are slipping my mind. I know the Terminal Death guys better than most. Num Skull were up by the Wisconsin state line. Also the Wisconsin scene was small but pretty killer and not very far. Saw Morbid Saint a few times in their early days.

demon were from around here and their manager used to run a vinyl store in my town for a while, place always stank of pot. trespass were from close by too, and discharge, plus lemmy was born like ten minutes away from here. all a bit before my time, alas. there isn't much of a local scene now unless i start counting manchester, and even then it's slim pickings tbh

One of my fav local bands from back in the day (for me, the mid/late 80s, DC area) was my buddy's band called Valhalla.

I think every major city (and even some minor ones) had/have a band called Valhalla. We had at least two bands in Australia named Valhalla in the late 80's and early 90's, the more known band was hard rock from Melbourne who released 2 albums and left one unreleased but recorded.

We used to work with bands like Mortal Sin and Mortification quite regularly in the 90's. Allegiance, Armoured Angel, Sadistik Exekution, Hobbs Angel Of Death and Bestial Warlust were also some of the bands we worked with back then as well.

Reactions: MetalAges
I think every major city (and even some minor ones) had/have a band called Valhalla. We had at least two bands in Australia named Valhalla in the late 80's and early 90's, the more known band was hard rock from Melbourne who released 2 albums and left one unreleased but recorded.

We used to work with bands like Mortal Sin and Mortification quite regularly in the 90's. Allegiance, Armoured Angel, Sadistik Exekution, Hobbs Angel Of Death and Bestial Warlust were also some of the bands we worked with back then as well.
What did you do with them?

The 1980s Florida death metal scene, including bands like Death, Morbid Angel and Deicide, was centered around here. There are also bands like Savatage, Crimson Glory and Siren that were from this area, which is a cooler bit of trivia because traditional heavy metal is significantly more awesome than anything involving Chuck Schuldiner and Glen Benton.

What did you do with them?

In the early days it was mostly fandom stuff, following bands to all their gigs and drinking with them then in the late 80's I started working with the road crews at the local venues so rather than working with one band I got to work with lots of them. After that I was working with smaller bands organising gigs, I even dabbled in a bit of management in the early 90's but that didn't last long because I hate talking to people.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
In the early days it was mostly fandom stuff, following bands to all their gigs and drinking with them then in the late 80's I started working with the road crews at the local venues so rather than working with one band I got to work with lots of them. After that I was working with smaller bands organising gigs, I even dabbled in a bit of management in the early 90's but that didn't last long because I hate talking to people.
Ah, nice one. Are you from Sydney then? I was in Melbourne, playing in a band called Sanctum. We played with bands like Acheron (before they became Abramelin), Necrotomy, Christbait, Mass Confusion and Damnatory and a bunch of other locals I can’t remember. We supported Mortal Sin and Alchemist also. Then we fucked off to the UK to live.

Reactions: Slammed
Ah, nice one. Are you from Sydney then? I was in Melbourne, playing in a band called Sanctum. We played with bands like Acheron (before they became Abramelin), Necrotomy, Christbait, Mass Confusion and Damnatory and a bunch of other locals I can’t remember. We supported Mortal Sin and Alchemist also. Then we fucked off to the UK to live.

I remember Sanctum from Hot Metal mag, they ran a competition for readers to design a logo or album cover or something. I won a shit load of crap from that trashy mag.

I was in regional Vic most of the time but also worked in both Melbourne and Sydney. We did gigs for everyone from Kate Cebrano to The Angels, The Cosmic Pyschos and the Hard Ons to country music gigs. We did a lot of all ages gigs, I remember Christbait playing at a youth club I knew of in about 92ish but Necrotomy and Acheron I only saw at those shitty places like San Souci and pubs on Punt Rd where your feet stick to the carpet if you stand still for more than five seconds. never worked for.

I remember Sanctum from Hot Metal mag, they ran a competition for readers to design a logo or album cover or something. I won a shit load of crap from that trashy mag.

I was in regional Vic most of the time but also worked in both Melbourne and Sydney. We did gigs for everyone from Kate Cebrano to The Angels, The Cosmic Pyschos and the Hard Ons to country music gigs. We did a lot of all ages gigs, I remember Christbait playing at a youth club I knew of in about 92ish but Necrotomy and Acheron I only saw at those shitty places like San Souci and pubs on Punt Rd where your feet stick to the carpet if you stand still for more than five seconds. never worked for.
I can't remember the Hot Metal logo thing but maybe it was from before I was in the band. I used to read it all the time also. Cut most of them up and stuck the band pics on my bedroom wall.

One of the first local gigs I went to was an all-ages show at the Corner in Richmond and Armoured Angel headlined. Acheron, Necrotomy, Christbait and Sanctum all played also. It was one of those 'changed my life' gigs. I later met the old guitarist from Blood Duster who said the same thing about that gig.

I can't remember the Hot Metal logo thing but maybe it was from before I was in the band. I used to read it all the time also. Cut most of them up and stuck the band pics on my bedroom wall.

One of the first local gigs I went to was an all-ages show at the Corner in Richmond and Armoured Angel headlined. Acheron, Necrotomy, Christbait and Sanctum all played also. It was one of those 'changed my life' gigs. I later met the old guitarist from Blood Duster who said the same thing about that gig.

I think the Sanctum thing ended up being a black cover EP with almost a line art image on it, maybe only 3 songs and I guess it was around 1990. I think I still have the EP Hot Metal gave away stashed in amongst the LP stack I have in the cabinet.

I remember the Corner, the Espy, The Brunswick Hotel, 170 Russell St (which I can't remember the old name of now) but most embarrassingly I also remember 21st Century in Frankston, was only a dance club but all the chicks went there.

I think the Sanctum thing ended up being a black cover EP with almost a line art image on it, maybe only 3 songs and I guess it was around 1990. I think I still have the EP Hot Metal gave away stashed in amongst the LP stack I have in the cabinet.
Sounds like the first demo maybe? I'll ask the guitarist next time I speak to him.

I remember the Corner, the Espy, The Brunswick Hotel, 170 Russell St (which I can't remember the old name of now) but most embarrassingly I also remember 21st Century in Frankston, was only a dance club but all the chicks went there.
Man I grew up in Frankston, I know the 21st Century well. It had a revolving dance floor, haha. Dodgy as hell. 170 Russell used to be called Billboards. I used to work there in the late 90's as a bussy, picking up glasses and cleaning vomit out of the toilets.

Sounds like the first demo maybe? I'll ask the guitarist next time I speak to him.

Man I grew up in Frankston, I know the 21st Century well. It had a revolving dance floor, haha. Dodgy as hell. 170 Russell used to be called Billboards. I used to work there in the late 90's as a bussy, picking up glasses and cleaning vomit out of the toilets.

I've still got relos in Frankston, 21st Century might have gone but Frangga hasn't changed :)

Worst place we ever put on a gig was San Souci. The drummers had to go without any cymbals higher than their head's because the drum riser, which was only about thirty centimetres high, left no room below the roof. I was about 6'2" back then and I could nearly touch the roof with my head, the lead singers all got blinded by the cans all night because their eye balls and the lights were nearly the same height. I think they redid the shit hole in the early 90's but until then it was a dive of a place.

These guys made a nae for themselves locally, band called Crystal Myth. Here's video from them playing at the most popular local club (Zaxx) at that time. We went up against them a couple times in Battle of the Bands - they reminded me a bit of Heathen.

Playlist: