Martin Axenrot

wwallinga said:
All I know is that when they played When last year right after Lopez left, it was really slow. Painfully slow. I'm not musically inclined enough to recognize whose fault that was, but I'm guessing it was the drummer.
1st time i saw him drumming they did it up to speed, but as i said, didn't notice double bass drumming.
2nd time of seeing them there was all the double bass.. But yes, they were really slow. I remember their opener (Ghost Reveries) was just taking the piss. Fortunately, they did speed up a bit over the rest of the night.. But it was still noticeably slower than on the recordings.

MixGrafix said:
The one thing I think that most people have overlooked is the happiness of the rest of the members of Opeth. They now have a drummer that is solid and reliable, and can play as many shows as they wish. It is giving them a "peace" of mind that Lopez could not give them.

yeah you can tell they are all a bit at ease knowing that axe isnt going anywhere. i saw axe play in chicago at the chronology show and i was very impressed. im not gonna be a little bitch and complain that he didnt do some parts of windowpane as good as lopez, he still impressed me and made me feel good about his performaces on future opeth albums.

the fact of the matter is, we should be happy to have such a great drummer like axe as the replacement that is keeping our favorite band together and still going. all of us are in agreement that lopez's stlye cant be touched, you cant categorize that or copy it, and it hurts to know that he isnt coming back. there's so much pressure on axe to satisfy us on the next opeth album, and i feel he will . but the fact is is that opeth is still going thanks to martin axenrot, so he has my full respect.

The first time I saw Opeth with Axe on the 1st NA leg, some of the songs were slower than even the album version (the double bass on Deliverance, for example, was noticeably clugging along).

When I saw them on Sunday, everything was pretty much spot-on in my opinion. There were some subtle things that Axe did his own way (for example, the little fill in Windowpane that everybody cums over was done Axe's own way), but everything else was fine - double bass was on tempo (from what I could tell - the sound was way too bassy), and Axe didn't noticeably fuck anything up.

When I saw opeth on gigantour I couldn't stand it because Axe fucked up the songs so badly. His lack of dynamics kill the band. During windowpane he was smashing the drums it was hideous. He needs to snap out of it quick because I couldn't stand listening to my favorite band

Black Rain said:
When I saw opeth on gigantour I couldn't stand it because Axe fucked up the songs so badly. His lack of dynamics kill the band. During windowpane he was smashing the drums it was hideous. He needs to snap out of it quick because I couldn't stand listening to my favorite band

Well it's a good thing they will rehearse before their next album, cause from what I hear on this board, he needs to get his sh!t together!

Well, Lopez was into Akira Jimbo, Gene Hogaln and Horacio'el Negro" Hernandez ( latin madman !) and Axenrot is into King Diamond's first drummer.

No big surprises here ...

I must be deaf and have no musical ear for dynamics, because the last 3 times I've seen Opeth, I heard no reckless smashing away at the drums being done by Axenrot. In fact, I was actually impressed with his sensitivity to the moods of the songs, playing Lopez's parts note for note - with the exception of the occasional fill, most of which also impressed the fuck out of me - and adhering quite strongly to the appropriate dynamics.

Yeah, but fuck me and my ear, I guess this Axenrot guy's gotta go ... (I guess Mikael can't hear it either! I wouldn't want someone ruining my songs ... someone better let him know ASAP...) I mean, if he's butchering the songs so badly, fuck it. Let's call the rehab clinic and see if Lopez has a handle on his heroin problem yet.

FreakAccident said:
I must be deaf and have no musical ear for dynamics, because the last 3 times I've seen Opeth, I heard no reckless smashing away at the drums being done by Axenrot. In fact, I was actually impressed with his sensitivity to the moods of the songs, playing Lopez's parts note for note - with the exception of the occasional fill, most of which also impressed the fuck out of me - and adhering quite strongly to the appropriate dynamics.

Yeah, but fuck me and my ear, I guess this Axenrot guy's gotta go ... (I guess Mikael can't hear it either! I wouldn't want someone ruining my songs ... someone better let him know ASAP...) I mean, if he's butchering the songs so badly, fuck it. Let's call the rehab clinic and see if Lopez has a handle on his heroin problem yet.

good idea.:)

FreakAccident said:

Well with the multiple accounts/opinions of his drumming with opeth so far. He seems VERY inconsistant. Im sure he'll eventually get all the parts down. But he'll never have Lopez's groove.
As long as the next albums drumming isnt all stock.
Lopez over Axe any day.

Lopez is the better drummer!!! I don't give a fuck what people say!! Lopez was more on point! more solid !made the music breath, walk, and run. As soon as I Heard the first minute of the first song on the Ghost reveries tour, I knew Lopez was absent, I could tell the difference in the bands tightness and sound.

Alteredmindeath said:
Lopez is the better drummer!!! I don't give a fuck what people say!! Lopez was more on point! more solid !made the music breath, walk, and run. As soon as I Heard the first minute of the first song on the Ghost reveries tour, I knew Lopez was absent, I could tell the difference in the bands tightness and sound.

It sucks for me cause I just discovered Opeth less than a year ago and never got to see Lopez live. I do have the Lamentations DVD though as well as all the albums he played on.

Someone should start a petition to get his ass back :headbang:

No,Lopez is no longer in Opeth...I will have to absolutely second the poster who gave respect to axe for keeping "our" supposedly favorite band?! Going still....I am so glad there was a drummer found that the band enjoys,has comfort and peace of mind in.
I saw Opeth tonight headline in philly and I thought axe did a terrific job...No he is not lopez...And there never will be a "lopez" get over it...It sucks but be appreciative with what we still have and the future ventures this unique,Incredible band Opeth will take....And we can come along for the experience or sit home,whine and drink large glasses of "Bitch" juice.
:kickass:

Black Rain said:

He didn't have that problem at Gigantour in Oakland.

I can't agree that Axenrot isn't very good or shouldn't be in the band. I've heard him a couple of times and both times i found him to be quite good. From the praises that Mike gives him, i can't help but give him the benefit of the doubt anyway, because i trust mike's opinion on musicianship. I look forward to hearing him on future recordings, even though i loved lopez' style. You can't look for him to replace lopez, thats not the point. He's a new drummer, with a different style, and the drumming is going to be different. Take it or leave it.

I've seen Axe three times now, first when he started playing with Opeth, then after he'd been in the band about a year, then the last time was at Wacken.

Strangely enough, I didn't think Wacken was his best performance, and I tend to pay a lot of attention to drumming when I'm at a gig. The second time I saw him he was amazing. I had such a good night and all the dynamics blended together really well. Wacken was also good, although I'm still sure he fluffs some of the double bass stuff. I definitely noticed this at the end of Deliverance. I know that part is not easy to play but with Axe being a honed DM drummer, he should have no problems with fast double bass patterns.

I think the dude is a great drummer, to be honest but I do 'worry' a little more than when Lopez was in the band. I am really looking forward to a new Opeth release, too, but I am anxious to see how well Axe works with Mike on the beats.

Of course, it's important to remember Mikael writes lots of the drum parts anyway, so it's not as if Lopez was creating everything himself - although he definitely added his Latin flavour and style to the mix. I know Lopez has personal problems and is unable to be in the band anymore but I do feel that he was perfect for Opeth. I know Mike has his own agenda and his own ideas of what a suitable drummer for Opeth is, yet I do feel that a drummer with a death metal background is not as well suited to a progressive band like Opeth as much as someone like Martin Lopez.

Like I said, I'm waiting for Axe to surprise me and show that he can do the slower, more mellow stuff with the same verve and style as his forebear.

As long as Mike keeps writing all his trademark riffs and comes up with the right drums to go with them in his head, I think us Opeth fans are in safe hands.

I have no opinion about Axe's playing in Opeth (haven't heard him). All I know is that his Bloodbath drumming was br00tal and that he is from my hometown :D

Btw, am I the only one who thinks Lopez wasn't THAT tight live? I mean i love his drumming on the albums but in some of the videos I have seen he isn't as amazing

MixGrafix said:
The one thing I think that most people have overlooked is the happiness of the rest of the members of Opeth. They now have a drummer that is solid and reliable, and can play as many shows as they wish. It is giving them a "peace" of mind that Lopez could not give them.

Why are they more happy? Just because they'll be able to tour more? Apparently Axenrot isn't playing as well as Lopez used to. Shouldn't they be more after quality than quantity?

Quality over quantity is relative, sure I'd like to see Lopez live as I'm sure he'd probably play the drum sections, beats, fills etc, that he wrote better than anyone could. However this doesn't change the fact that Axenrot is a dammed accompolished drummer, I'd rather see them with Axe than not at all.