Martin Lopez left Opeth - WTF?

SirJuzzi

Proghead
Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
From Strapping Young Lad forum:

At the concert in Odessa, Texas on July 18th Gene sat behind the kit during the Opeth set because one of the dudes from Opeth got on the mic saying that their drummer had quit. Gene played those songs like he had been playing them for abit already, not like that was his first night or anything. He made those Opeth songs sound so bad ass its not funny. Im wondering though when did Opeth's drummer leave the band? Surely he didnt just up and leave on the band the very night of the gig in Odessa...

The message also says that SYL wasn't performing that night, and Gene was the only member of the band who actually was there.

So does anyone know what the hell is going on? Please somebody tell me this is just a bad joke!

Lopez just can't leave.

...And I'm NOT trolling or trying to create a forum war or something - the only reason I posted this here, is that I really don't know much about behind-the-scenes Opeth, and I want to know what's going on, is this just some kind of misunderstanding.

Hell why?! If you think I'm trolling or something, it's far from that. If you don't trust me, register into SYL forum and read by yourself. I only want to know if this is true or not.

SirJuzzi said:
Hell why?! If you think I'm trolling or something, it's far from that. If you don't trust me, register into SYL forum and read by yourself. I only want to know if this is true or not.

Perhaps your thread title should have included the word "Did"... as in "Did Martin Lopez leave Opeth? - WTF?"

We are all aware that Lopez is no longer playing SOTU gigs, but that's about all any of us know at this time. see this thread as well.

Let's not stir the rumor pot anymore and wait to see what is really going on, ok?

When they said Lopez left the band, they probably meant in a temporary way, i.e. mom left for work, my sister left for college, etc.. Hoglan left for another donut OMG LOL PWNT!

hmmm... well "left" and "quit" have different meanings in different contexts...
i would just think that Opeth, Mike, etc., would announce it in a less casual manner if it were true...

Sorry to break it to you dude but Lopez wouldnt dare leave, besides he said he has the freedom to do what he wants in Opeth.

or jimmy chamberlin formerly of smashing pumpkins that would be amazing
i know the pumpkins werent exactly metal but hes an incredible drummer