martins drumming

blinkgreenozzy

Raoul Duke
Jun 10, 2005
Sammamish, Washington
so which album features the best drumming by martin lopez? his drumming obviously progresses from cd to cd but each one is incredibly well done....its a tough choice but id have to say his best is in GR....every album without fail is guaranteed to have phenomenal drumming.... there are no boundaries to what he is capable of and GR illustrates it best

I don't know why everyone is so impressed by his performance on Deliverance. It's brutal and of course really good but not as good as his performance on Blackwater Park. And I guess someone told that it might be, that his druming was triggered and I agree that it sounds a bit... mhh.... "suspicious"
I'd go with Blackwater Park, simply overwhelming!

^ Brutal - true, but not all the time man! The drums underneath the acoustic breaks are a-fucking-mazing and I cannot believe a metal drummer can play so... emotionally (can't find a good term for it). Of course his play on all albums (maybe excluding MAYH, where it is JUST good) is outstanding but because of those contrasts that are greater on Deliverance then any other album I really feel it's one of his best...

i'd say blackwater park...all his drumming is good, but the bwp album was very clear and tight. i really like the drumming on leper affinity and tdf. 5:36-5:38 of tlp is cool. also the whole drumming part around 6:25 is cool. pretty much anything martin does is cool though.

Ghost Reveries - a lot of variation. He came up with some excellent stuff - from the percussion in Atonement, to the amazing tom work in Beneath the Mire, awesome double-bass, (as always) beautiful cymbal work in every song, sweet fills...it was just his album. I think having the songs written allowed him to really get his parts to be as tight as they could be.

blimey said:
Drumming was "programmed" on Deliverance.

actually, it was triggered...i think i heard of a 50% mix on the harmony-central forums....that is probably for toms, snare, and kick...i'm not sure about that though, but it does sound that way.

FRUGiHOYi said:
What does triggered mean?

well, there were some recording/mixing problems with the drums, so the signal from the mic was used to "trigger" an electronic sound that was added in the mix...thats what gives deliverance the extra machine-like sound...this sound is also very apparent in morbid angel's gateways to annihilation. the berzerker does the same, and adds distortion...tons of other bands do it too. moonlapse can probably give you a more technical explanation.

When you trigger a drum, you hook a mic up to the drum, like normal. But when you play, the mic doen't record the drum hit, it just sends a signal to a computer, which puts a prerecorded sound in its place.

On Deliverance, The bass drum was 100% triggered on the heavy parts, and the snare was 50% mixed-sample trigger.

Lopez definately was a better drummer than the previous guy. The other guy sounded like a toy train when he did the doulble bass. just go listen to Under the weeping moon and you'll understand.