martins drumming

FRUGiHOYi said:
Oh I see. Do you know why exactly they did that?

well, there were some recording and mixing problems...but, it does seem to go well with the cold, sterile production on the album...so, it could have been a planned thing.

I think the drumming on Deliverance impresses me the most. Ghost Reveries has excellent drumming, but it is only truely great sporadically, with some parts sounding ever-so-slightly half assed (for Martin, not by most standards). I think the drumming has been excellent from Blackwater Park onwards (thought that MAYH was much better drumming than Still Life, but that's just my opinion, not a huge Still Life fan anyway). Deliverance shows both of the best sides of Martin. It shows that he can play brutal drums just as well as anyone else (but with more exciting fills), and shows that he has an edge as far as creative, inventive technical drumming is concerned. I think it best displays that, of the drummers out there, he is certainly one of the ones with a natural musicality in addition to technical proficiency. Excellent.

Lopez didn't trigger. Andy Sneap added samples over the original acoustic drums to bring them out of the shittyness of the recording. No samples at all for the toms. Snare, bass drums, and cymbals have samples mixed with the original recorded sounds.

yes his drumming is amazing on deliverance but IMO there are a lot more varied beats and fills and whatnot on GR....it seems that things repeat a lot on deliverence which isnt necessarily martins fault....but with more varied material naturally there will be more of a variety of drum patterns

I personally think Damnation. Some of the fills on that album are absolutely astonishing, and it shows how versatile Lopez is, compared to some other DM drummers (I'd like to see Flo from Cryptopsy play Damnation styled songs)

ghost rev. he definately stretches out more, does alot of new things.. but obviosly hes never done anything short of awesome on any album.

Agalloch said:
Lopez didn't trigger. Andy Sneap added samples over the original acoustic drums to bring them out of the shittyness of the recording. No samples at all for the toms. Snare, bass drums, and cymbals have samples mixed with the original recorded sounds.

well, that is kind of like a trigger...except it wasn't done on the spot.

vashts80 said:
(I'd like to see Flo from Cryptopsy play Damnation styled songs)

actually, i think that out of all other dm drummers....it wouldn't suprise me if flow would be good at melow stuff like that...he has a very organic sound, imo. its too bad that the production on their new album makes his drums sound like cardboard.

JoeVice said:
well, that is kind of like a trigger...except it wasn't done on the spot.

That's not a trigger though, because a trigger is where every hit is replaced with a sample, not a sample mixed with the acoustic drum sound

vashts80 said:
That's not a trigger though, because a trigger is where every hit is replaced with a sample, not a sample mixed with the acoustic drum sound

a trigger is a sample though...thats what i meant. does the meaning of a true trigger entail 100% triggered sound? if so, then the kick is entirely triggered.

Damnation. Fair enough the other albums are great drumwise, but for a comparative fish out of water Damnation drums are amazing. GR is impressive, but not so impressive if you heard heavy albums then Damnation then GR, because you knew he was capable of the diversity. Saying that all the drums are pretty damn impressive, just Damnation certainly makes everyone I know look up in shock if they know the band is usually heavy.

for me GR and damnation are lopez's most amazing works.then deliverance and still life.i don't enjoy blackwater park's drumming,too cold IMHO.

i like his work on MAYH,it fits well with the album mood (even if he played always the same "tricks" as in the other records).

this doesn't make sense.i'm so fuckin tired.merry xmas.

JoeVice said:
in the context of our trigger/sample debate, it means everything...as for the music itself, i agree...i really like the sound of the drums on deliverance...
There's a bit of a difference between a trigger and a sample, though. I think some people are getting a bit confused as to what each one actually is.