Maryland Deathfest XI: May 23-26, 2013

Are you going to MDF 2013?

• Definitely going - want to share a room.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Definitely going - do NOT want to share a room.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Probably going - want to share a room.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Probably going - do NOT want to share.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure if I'll go - want to share if I do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure if I'll go - do NOT want to share if I do.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Probably not going.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Definitely not going.

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
So Pittsburgh area? I've got family there, so any craft beers in that area I could pick up myself actually.

Yeah, about an hour outside. Honestly the local beer scene isn't as good as other places, more like there are a ton of places to get great beer.

I was always under the assumption that Pennsylvania had one of the best, if not the best, availability of craft beer in the US. Is that limited to certain regions of the state or something?

Last night I had a dream I was driving to MDF with Dr. Dre and my dad's side of the family (including my 7 and 12 year-old half-sisters), where we stopped off at his house halfway along the way to have a barbecue. I really wish I was going this year.

PA has the best availability I'd argue. Pittsburgh has a shitload of high-end beer pubs, plus a few spots that have 1100+ varieties in bottles, and a couple that have 50-60 taps. Even in my little area we have two craft beer bars and distributors are surprisingly solid about the micros and imports.

THAT SAID, the actual locally-brewed scene isn't stellar. There are great ones like Weyerbacher, Stoudt's, and Troeg's but that's about all. There are more but they aren't much to write home about and I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for a case of them haha.

I need to bring Legend Brown Ales with me. One of the easiest things to drink i've ever, and has a flavr!

If I was coming I would bring some stuff from Grand Rapids, which is currently Beer City USA apparently. There's a lot of good stuff around here. Maybe next year.

I wish I could attend MDF and partake in the frivolity, but employment takes precedent! I guess I will have to settle for Las Vegas Doom in June...Manilla Road is headlining! Depending on cash flow I may even attend the Las Vegas Death Fest! Anyone else going?

I need to get up to Grand Rapids sometime soon and go to the Founders Taproom

I was just there on Tuesday actually. It's always fun there, they have something going on pretty often, like Tuesday they had a lot of really good musicians doing an open mic night.

As far as their beer, my two favorites are the porter and the Dirty Bastard. Both are excellent, especially the porter.

Callooh, callay! Craft beer distributor opening up hopefully in the next two weeks. Should make for a nice beer run on my way out.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE (unless you think I'm a persona non grata).

Maddy and I are all but confirmed on attending. She just needs to clear it with her employer tonight to get the time off. I plan to purchase our 3-day passes tomorrow.

Tentatively, we plan to come on Thursday and just hang out. That way we can get Andy A. and Kris into my car and the whole Maine contingent can travel together. I say tentatively because many of us know what happened with my car last year, but ever since it was repaired it's been running like a dream. I'll see if it's in good enough shape for the trip once I'm back in Maine in a few weeks.

I have some good news as well. I'm in contact with Chance and Nick. Chance says that he got the days off from work (he just needs to look at his schedule to officially confirm) but he definitely requested the days off and used all his sick days that he has.

Nick is the one studying abroad in England (or I should say, drinking heavily) and he just asked how much the whole trip would cost, and I think he's going to be able to fund it as well. He doesn't work much in the summer, so he doesn't need to take days off, he just needs to get the money to everyone.

So, thats 4 more people going bringing the price down.

Man only like one more month for this shit.

^^^ Somebody has to look out for all you whippersnappers.

Yes. Let's coordinate logistics sometime in the near future. Hopefully you won't get stuck on the Greyhound this year! Haha.
Greyhound wasn't too bad, especially if we have some cheap whisky to sip on in the back of the bus.