Mastodon

i enjoyed the song divinations alot, gonna download and then purchase if its any good.

Leviathan and Call of the mastodon are their best. by far. I haven't heard the new one, but i heard brann cut back on the drum fills and they got a keyboard player.

sounds like a completely different band to me.

also do not like the vocals on divination

Leviathan and Call of the mastodon are their best. by far. I haven't heard the new one, but i heard brann cut back on the drum fills and they got a keyboard player.

sounds like a completely different band to me.

also do not like the vocals on divination

I'd say the vocals have definitely changed. I'm actually liking them more. He definitely didn't cut back on his fills, they are still on here in great numbers. He did however, add a lot of groove but it fits the sound perfectly IMO. A few listens so far and I'm liking this a LOT more than Blood Mountain.

Dude, Mastodon is amazing! I just started getting into them over the season, and I've been completely blown away. acapps, can you pm me the link?

It's on Demonoid, ya dig?

The reason I didn't believe it yesterday was because it was literally nowhere to be found.

Thanks acapps10.

I'd say the vocals have definitely changed. I'm actually liking them more. He definitely didn't cut back on his fills, they are still on here in great numbers. He did however, add a lot of groove but it fits the sound perfectly IMO. A few listens so far and I'm liking this a LOT more than Blood Mountain.

They have two vocalists, Brent and Troy. Brent does all the vocals on CTS and all the soft vocals in previous albums, and Troy does all the harsh vox. Brent's voals are fine, but like most people I prefer Troy's tenacity and fire, so it really sucks that Troy only sings on one song on the whole album :/

This album is like 6 different variations of Colony of Birchmen. What happened to sludge?

I liked that it was thrashy ass sludge.

Well they have this thing where they go through different "elements" with each album, like Remission is fire, Leviathan is water, Blood Mountain is earth, and Crack the Skye is aether, which is why their sound has got lighter and less heavy, but it makes up for it by being their most progressive release to date. I suggest you dont think of them as a sludge band anymore and think of them more as a progressive metal band.

lawl I love how they look like dumb hillbillies but make some of the best music on earth :D

They have two vocalists, Brent and Troy. Brent does all the vocals on CTS and all the soft vocals in previous albums, and Troy does all the harsh vox. Brent's voals are fine, but like most people I prefer Troy's tenacity and fire, so it really sucks that Troy only sings on one song on the whole album :/

Troy definitely sings on more than one song. Brann even has some vocals on Ghost of Karelia. Brent also did screams on Lifesblood/Remission, so I don't know where you got that info.

Troy definitely sings on more than one song. Brann even has some vocals on Ghost of Karelia. Brent also did screams on Lifesblood/Remission, so I don't know where you got that info.

srsly

troy is doing a majority of the "clean" vocals on cts. brent has the more southernish voice if you understand what I mean (his voice is deeper and sounds more redneckish)

ie: 00:27 of "divinations" = brent
00:55 of "divinations" = troy
01:45 of "oblivion" = brent
02:20 of "oblivion" = troy

troy is lead vocals. it's really only on crack the skye that brent is doing more lead vocals than backups or harmonies, at least for cleans.

Brent definitely has better clean vocals.

Well they have this thing where they go through different "elements" with each album, like Remission is fire, Leviathan is water, Blood Mountain is earth, and Crack the Skye is aether, which is why their sound has got lighter and less heavy, but it makes up for it by being their most progressive release to date. I suggest you dont think of them as a sludge band anymore and think of them more as a progressive metal band.
I feel like this album is so far away from anything they did before conceptually. It sounds like a completely different band.
I've listened to it a few times. Every album so far has had at least one or two of those songs that you can't help but headbang or mosh to eg Mother Puncher/March of the fire ants - Blood and thunder/okay pretty much this whole album. - The Wolf is loose/Crystal Skull I won't bother mentioning Call of the mastodon that entire cd is a moshing battleground.

This album is kind of like how watershed only has 2 and a half tracks (theres like 2 verses totalling 1 minute in Hessien Peel and its 11 minutes long) with growling compared to ghost reveries with 5 songs. Okay maybe mastodon is tired of sludge, but i feel kind of cheated out probably the best sludge band i have ever heard save The Melvins.

I guess this is just another band that i won't be seeing live in a few years when they no longer play their older stuff (circa ARCH ENEMY). Most people want a band to progress and create more intricate music but not to all around change the sound completely.

It was just a sweeping generalisation. I know Brent screams in previous albums, but it's only really here and there and his screams are whiny and mildly annoying.The only vocals that stand out tbh are Kelly's in the title track, other than that it's difficult to really distinguish between Brent and Troy :/

It was just a sweeping generalisation. I know Brent screams in previous albums, but it's only really here and there and his screams are whiny and mildly annoying.The only vocals that stand out tbh are Kelly's in the title track, other than that it's difficult to really distinguish between Brent and Troy :/

when they're singing totally clean it's hard to distinguish between them but when brent is doing his trademark "southern sludge" type vocals, it's quite easy.

Walls1441 said:
I guess this is just another band that i won't be seeing live in a few years when they no longer play their older stuff (circa ARCH ENEMY)

I don't think this is going to happen. They still play a lot of material off of Lifesblood and Remission etc as of last year.

I don't think this is going to happen. They still play a lot of material off of Lifesblood and Remission etc as of last year.
yeah but all these songs are >5 minutes give them another album like this next year or the year after and they will probably just play mother puncher/blood and thunder then stick heavily to Blood mountain and CTS

honestly I still doubt it, maybe heavy cts but they didn't play a whole lot off blood mountain iirc. they really only played the wolf is loose, cap. crest, cysquatch and birchmen with any regularity - and thats supporting blood mountain too. I know they'd throw in sleeping giant and this mortal soil but iirc they weren't really regulars in the set. who knows, maybe they'll start playing revolving sets depending on their schedules