"Mature" Rock Bands

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Yeah, so been listening to a lot of good ol' rock lately. Failure, Fixture and the Chris Cornell solo album have been in my player nonstop. Even been listening to a bunch of Ultraspank.

What are some more "mature" rock/hard rock bands? I'd count Tool in this group as well. I don't care if they are deep emotional bands like Buckley, Radiohead or Dredg. That's fine.

I don't care if they are fairly heavy or not. I just want some good solid songs. Listening to this stuff on the way to work puts me in a better mood in the mornings.

Anyone else like Sevendust? And how is Deftones' "White Pony"? I know it was monstrously praised as a (truly) progressive album. I really dug their Adrenaline album. Around the Fur, not so much.

Please, no teenage angst bands. Thanks.

EDIT: No old prog bands, either.

J. said:
"White Pony"? I know it was monstrously praised as a (truly) progressive album.
Whoa, really? Maybe progressive for nu-metal, in the fact that it wasn't, but I would never call it truly progressive. I spent a ton of time listening to that album when it first came out, I think I killed it for myself because I haven't heard it in a few years now. It's nothing like Adrenaline, but it's still pretty good. It's like noisy pop-metal, or something. A few songs are really good, like Digital Bath.

Been listening to R.E.M. lately. A lot. Those dudes were pretty incredible at times.

A Perfect Circle like usual, I'm glad they really became their own band instead of "you know, that one band with the dude from Tool."

Tool, yeah I guess I like them okay. ;)

Yeah, I think magazines and critics alike praised WHite Pony because it was a huge step away from their nu-metal leanings (though I don't think the Deftones were ever truly nu-metal, they were more like Korn's debut, which everyone should dig) and was a new direction for the band. SO it's good, then?

Didn't like APC's debut too much. Haven't heard the latest.

REM has some awesome songs. "Stand" "Pop Song '89" and "It's the End of the WOrld.." all rule. I much prefer their old stuff.

Concerning White Pony: It is pretty good, I'm just sick of it. It's a little inconsistent between tracks, but most of them are really good. Actually I need to dig that out again, thinking about Passenger and Knife Prty is making me uhh, feel like listening to it.

I did a review for APC's last one, it's almost post-rock with it's stripped-down sound. Almost. OMG LINKY!111

I just recently picked up Automatic for the People, I'm highly impressed with the emotionally charged music. Michael Stipe doesn't have the most appealing voice in the world but he is swimming in soul so I dig it.

I want some Peter Gabriel, been listening to bits and pieces of him for years but don't have a proper album. D'oh is me.

This is a long shot, but has anyone heard the last two Sevendust albums? The debut was great hard rock, the second was OK, I guess.

I can't stand REM's "Losing My Religion". I probably just heard it too much, but "Man on the Moon" rocks.

I heard the first two Sevendust albums many times (most of my friends were way into them), but don't remember much so that's the impact it left. I remember the songs Bitch and Home being cool, but couldn't mimic a riff if you paid me.

Cool. I had heard heard the latest Sevendust stuff was more generic BS, but wasn't sure. I'll stay away.

"Bitch" is from the debut, a solid hard rock album all the way through. "Home" is of cousre, from their second album, which was not as good, but I liked a lot of songs.

Just been in a roack/hard rock mood lately. I look at my metal CDs and just draw a blank. Need a break I guess.

Paul Simon rules. Graceland destroys the corns on my toes.

I'd count Queens of the Stone Age as well, since I don't really consider them stoner. Been listening to them almost as much as Kyuss, but every time I do know I think "man, Kyuss was better."

yeah, I have Simon & Garfunkel's greatest hits. Man, that is some good stuff. I've never heard a Paul SImon solo record, though.

I think everyone should own Graceland, but there are probably people that don't like it (they take it up the butt though).

Incubus has one really good album (S.C.I.E.N.C.E.) and a bunch of tripe bookending it. I used to listen to them a lot.

I actually enjoyed Morning View and their latest is a little back to earlier form to be honest. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is so exhorbitantly different, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Morning Spew sucked (except Circles and like one other track), I expected more than boring rock from an innovative band. Haven't heard the new one, don't really care to.