Mediocre Bands

IcedEarth556

Metal Keyboardist
Feb 2, 2002
U.S.A
Visit site
I got the idea of this thread by Final Vision describing Reroute to Remain as "A mediocre album by a band that is not mediocre." Well, what are some bands that you consider mediocre. I think mediocre bands as bands that are part of a musical genre but dont offer anything new to it. Bands that wont ever become the leaders of the genre. So I think the biggest mediocre bands are Anthrax, HammerFall, Nocturnal Rites, and Soilwork. They are probably a few I will think of later or just forget, hence why I made a thread about it.

Thats really hard to say cause its really personal taste that decides it. For instance, I think Soilwork is one of the best bands today and not mediocre in anyway. But thats because I love their music.

But bands I personally think are mediocre would prolly be...hrm..*thinking*. In Thy Dreams plays pretty medocire melodic thrash and doesnt really bring much new to the table. I personally feel Norther is a mediocre CoB. NonExist's debut "Deus Deceptor" is a mediocre album from a band that is not mediocre (Johan Liiva and Johan Reinholdz, come on now).

Thats about all i can think of off hand, bands rarely fall in this category for me because I usually either like them or I dont hehe.

IE556: I disagree with the definition you gave of a mediocre. To me, a mediocre band is one that's the part of a genre but doesn't really much for it. In other words, it's just one of the many. There can only be a few "leaders," and therefore, there can be many bands who aren't leaders, simply because they came after the leaders, but still kick a lot of ass. If you're not a leader, it doesn't mean you're mediocre (that kinda rhymed!).

For example, IMO, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity are the leaders of their style of music. I would say At the Gates, but since they are no more, they've gone up to the "retired legend" status. Soilwork, one of my favorite bands, would be one of the bands in that vein that's awesome, but still not a leader. Or, IMO, CoB are the leaders of their style. Since our beloved Skyfire are so often compared to CoB, I would say Skyfire is a kick ass band in that genre, but not a leader.

But to fully address the question, mediocre bands, to me, are ones that are just "meh," or "pretty good," but don't really do much for me. They don't suck, but at the same time, I don't really give a fuck (that rhymed for sure!). For my tastes, I'd say a band like Shadows Fall are mediocre: they have some good stuff, but I don't really care about them, and they don't really do much for me to set them apart from others.

This (the example of a mediocre band) was actually pretty hard for me to think of...usually if I find a band mediocre, I don't listen to them, and then just kinda forget about them. So most bands I actually remember are either good, awesome, buttsmacktacular, or they flat out suck.

:)

I did give two definitions of mediocre. The first one I still stand by but you have convinced me that my second one is horseshit.:D
And I agree with Final Vision that its all a matter of opinion. Because I think Shadows Fall are defiantley not mediocre. Their new album to me is very original. Its like a mix of thrash and death metal. And there are some great solos on that CD.

So you mean those cd's you get where you just kinda pop it in and get into it, then forget about it,, then do the process over..? heh...

ok, i know 2 come to mind... Moonspell and (dont hurt me for this) Nevermore.

Originally posted by IcedEarth556
I did give two definitions of mediocre. The first one I still stand by but you have convinced me that my second one is horseshit.:D
And I agree with Final Vision that its all a matter of opinion. Because I think Shadows Fall are defiantley not mediocre. Their new album to me is very original. Its like a mix of thrash and death metal. And there are some great solos on that CD.

Exactly. It's all a matter of opinion. And I think I totally skipped reading your first definition (which I simply restated in my own words :D )

Wound: That's pretty much exactly what I meant.

And yes, "Buttsmacktacular" is a great word. :hotjump: <--this guy rocks!

Interesting discussion.

Mediocrity IMO, is most often found in power metal and melodic death metal, simply because the 2 metal genres are already so diluted, it's thus easier to sound like everyone else.

Some mediocre bands:
Primal Fear
Iron Savior (though their new one is very good)
Meshuggah

And more, but my brain isn't cooperating.

Originally posted by markgugs
Meshuggah

I never thought I'd hear anyone on UM say this. I fully agree. All that senseless chugging away in 17/16 and all gets old really fast. There's no melody in there at all, which makes the music very bland. All the complex time sigs are just rhythms, rather than any kind of "intricate" playing, which doesn't impress me much. Thordendal does have a really unique style, but it doesn't appeal to me. The solos are cool and really out there, but they don't inspire me at all.

I do like the band, but I think they're overrated, and I can only take them in small doses at a time. They really are a one trick pony, and their trick isn't all that great either. I'd still probably go see them again if they came to town, though. :p

And no, it's not that I don't understand the complex time sigs. I, myself, write (and have written) music in times like 5/8, 11/16, 13/8, 13/16, 7/4, 14/8, 15/8, 15/16, 17/16, 9/8, etc. etc. It's not that hard to do if you have a good sense of rhythm and a feel for those timings.