Opeth - Burn Out or Fade Away?

Interesting thread.

With Opeth it's difficult to tell... I can never make a judgement on the next album until they release it. It's hard to tell. I agree that Orchid/Morningrise were like a "classic era" first phase, then MAYH/Still Life were probably the top of their game, then BWP and Deliverance retreaded that ground somewhat less interestingly and while Damnation was different and good, it failed to live up to it's ultimate potential.

I thought they'd really go somewhere different with D1 and D2, but Deliverence wasn't too far off the established Opeth sound to warrant the "third era" of Opeth I was predicting. If that happens with the next album, where Opeth's career will be at is anyone's guess.

If it doesn't, then they may already be on the path of fading out as opposed to leaving at the top of their game. That's my 2 cents.

I hope they go out with a bang when they do. But for now they still have a few great albums ahead of them, they're on such a roll at the moment :D

Fade out....in about 10 fucking years! I hope to God they don't quit for a loong time. Anyways, taking "the Metallica way out" is better than...oh say..."the Nirvana way out". A whole fucking lot better.

but not trying to cause trouble. i don't see the fadeout in terms of quality that others are talking about. for me, MAYH and BWP are the two finest opeth albums, but i like deliverance, and damnation was really quite beautiful, one of my fave mellow albums in my collection, along with agaetis byrjun (sigur ros), kind of blue, and the new APC...

deliverance, to me, had a real intensity on Wreath that i thought was lacking from BWP, although the next alb i think will be the clincher on how long they will go on for. i can't wait for it and hope the boys put all their effort into one record, rather than two

come on guys, we ALL know Opeth doesn't have a single bad album....as of yet! Deliverance is a far, FAR cry from being a shitty album. Not even close. To great of musicianship apparent within to be considered bad. A Fair Judgement is still up there ranking as one of their better songs. Deliverance has terrific moments as well (The piercing sounds you make....) May not be better than their previous BWP, but who cares? There's always going to be the better and the worse. But all of it is damn good.

I think Mike still has too many influences and ideas in his music, that he should come up with some truly remarkbale stuff thus far. We shall see.