Opeth - Burn Out or Fade Away?

John Gargo

Hawkwind
Mar 4, 2003
New York
Visit site
The thread about whether or not Opeth are "finished" gave me the idea for this thread... Would you rather prefer that Opeth release a couple of albums that aren't as good as anything they've done up to now (in fact, pretty mediocre by anyone's standings) or that they stop releasing albums altogether and quit while they're at the top of their game?

I think I'd rather see them release a couple of albums and fade away. As long as they're enjoying what they do, I wouldn't mind a few mediocre albums. I don't think a band should be in it for the fans, but for the music and for they're enjoyment. And as long as they're happy, I say let them slowly fade away.

However, I'd hope they would keep making great music to the day of their death.!:headbang:

they already got lazy, starting with BWP. read the studio diaries. they didnt devote the necessary time for lyrics or anything, it was all haphazardly created and thrown together quick in the studio. it doesn't bode well for the future, unless they take enough time off to get the spark back and be willing to devote time out of the studio to songwriting again. and i pray they will, cause they're lazy efforts are great, but they dont hold a black candle to ochid, morningrise, mayh or still life.

These people who say their later stuff is stale and forced and their older stuff is far better drive me mad! i think they are just fine...they arent all in their 20s anymore so they are going to have a transition period that most long lasting bands do...
In all honesty, if things start going south, they should pull a Soundgarden...

Maharet said:
These people who say their later stuff is stale and forced and their older stuff is far better drive me mad! i think they are just fine...they arent all in their 20s anymore so they are going to have a transition period that most long lasting bands do...

I am not sure I understand you fully.

Which part? the Soundgarden part? Most bands who pull a "Soundgarden" become pretty legendary and are always remembered fondly, not as the band who pulled a "Metallica"....If you remember correctly, Soundgarden quit at the top of their game...they threw in the towel before they went south...I dont see Opeth going south right now...

To be honest, I'd prefer to see Opeth continue for as long as they want to, even if I didn't like where they ended up going. I just can't buy into that whole idea of 'quitting at the top', in the end what does it really matter. In 50 years noone's really gonna remember anyway, so may as well keep writing music while you're enjoying doing it.

Maharet said:
Most bands who pull a "Soundgarden" become pretty legendary and are always remembered fondly, not as the band who pulled a "Metallica"....If you remember correctly, Soundgarden quit at the top of their game...they threw in the towel before they went south...

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure.

IAmEternal said:
they already got lazy, starting with BWP. read the studio diaries. they didnt devote the necessary time for lyrics or anything, it was all haphazardly created and thrown together quick in the studio. it doesn't bode well for the future, unless they take enough time off to get the spark back and be willing to devote time out of the studio to songwriting again. and i pray they will, cause they're lazy efforts are great, but they dont hold a black candle to ochid, morningrise, mayh or still life.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think the idea was portrayed correctly.

True, they didn't put as much time into Blackwater Park, or the albums after as compared to the albums prior. But laziness isn't altogether the reason why. They had released Still Life, played a few gigs in the US and were finally picked up by a label that was willing to help promote them in the US. They [most likely hastily] recorded Blackwater Park, which is far from a disappointing album, and then toured with Nevermore. Since then they haven't had much time to do anything other than being Opeth.

From a third persons point of view, you have to recognise the differences between Opeth pre-Blackwater Park and post-Blackwater Park. Obviously, when starting a band, you have all the time in the world to compose and play music, but no one who will listen to it. You can't afford to take your act on the road and tour for the better part of a year. Opeth were no different. I'm sure they all either worked or went to school for quite some time after Opeth were releasing albums. Around the time of Blackwater Park, they were caught with a bit of a dilemma: Do they turn down a big touring deal, and make Opeth a full-time band, or do they stay [even more] largely unknown, staying in school, working in record stores, and coming together as Opeth at nights and weekends with their new ideas and compositions.

They made the decision to tour and promote themselves, sacrificing a lot of their personal lives, life experiences, and free time. It's easy to say that they've been lazy with Opeth, but they've really been just the opposite. With that said though, they have naturally had to neglect the future of Opeth. Peter's influence is getting less and less, relegating him to the best rhythm guitarist in music. Martin Mendez has just been Johan DeFarfella with different content. Mikael's compositions are getting a bit more predictable and flat. And Martin Lopez has..really impressed the hell out of everyone.

I do hear the call for them to end on top of their game, but that point is not yet. If I knew the band any better personally, I'd know how Mike felt. He may be keeping Opeth on tour as much as possible as to keep his bandmates income flowing. If so, it's a difficult situation. I doubt they have the resources to stop touring for long, but that's ultimately what they need to do.

I actually thought Orchid and Morningrise were fairly average albums with good parts here and there and they're only getting better. Back on topic, I couldn't ever see them fading away which is probably a good thing.

Maharet said:
Sorry, but I would subscribe to this theory as well. I think everything after "Still Life" has been disappointing. And while I really enjoyed "Damnation", I was expecting a whole lot more quality.

As for "pulling a Soundgarden", I would disagree again. Soundgarden did not go out at the top of their game. "Badmotorfinger" was excellent, as was "Louder than Love". However, "Superunknown" was average and "Down on the Upside" was putrid. That's hardly going out on top in my book.

GZ

I think it's way to early to judge any of these ideas. It is clear that BWP and Deliverance and Damnation have shown a distinct change in Opeth (both in production, and dare i say, style), and whether they will stick to this path. They could make more albums similar to Deliverance, or they could surprise us with yet another different sounding album (say, in comparison to the move from Orchid to Still Life) - i think the latter.

opeths last 2 albums are already their worst. i think it was a bad idea splitting up the releases into heavy and light...

i think if they split up after the dvd, id remember them well, rather than release more stuff like d1/d2. of course if they manage to do another BWP / Still Life my opinion would be different, and if they managed an Orchid / Morningrise id be over the moon...

also, it would bring it nicely to an end with the first words of orchid being 'seven milestones', and damnation being their seventh album...

i dunno...

I'd like them to burn out instead of fade away. I've seen too many bands go shit lately and Opeth has quite enough material to please me for at least the next few decades.

I wish they could make a DVD with proper heavy stuff though.