Melodic Death Metal isn't dead...

bRoots

Metalhead For Life
Oct 11, 2008
I've been reading alot on these forums about people who think melodic death metal is dying. I just wanted to say to those it concerns that i completely disagree. There are alot of really great underground melodic death metal bands on the rise. Bands like Mors Principium Est and Of Raven & Ruins are going to make a huge impact on this generations metal. And there's many more out there, we just have to find them and spread the word. Any other great melodeth bands out there who aren't well known? Share them here so we can check them out!

Last time I checked melodic death was one of the most stale genre nowadays, and your recommendation of Mors didn't help either.

Doesn't get much love on here, and certainly not underground, but Dethklok's album was nothing short of absolute tops. One of the best albums of '07 easily.

The name of the genre alone is enough to turn me off. Death Metal that goes out of its way to be melodic is never going to be my thing.

Melodic death metal is not dead, but it is stagnant. Several ex-melodic death metal bands like In Flames and Soilwork are now playing what I think of as melodic alternative metal, and then there's melodeath - Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Wintersun, etc, but the core of melodic death metal doesn't seem to be going anywhere. And melodeath really ain't my thing, and most people consider melodic alternative metal gay or shitty, although I dig some of it.

The name of the genre alone is enough to turn me off. Death Metal that goes out of its way to be melodic is never going to be my thing.

If I want to listen to something melodic I will listen to progressive metal or jazz fusion. Melodic death comes off as forced many times, so therefore it gets stale quickly. I'm listening to Heartwork right now, which is pretty rad though, but it's hard to lump this album in with melodic death metal for some reason.

Melodic death comes off as forced many times, so therefore it gets stale quickly.

I don't really see melodic death as forced. My problem with the genre lies in that many bands seem to get comfortable just doing what they do and don't innovate. A lot just start doing a combination of heavy metal/thrash/power metal with harsh vocals and stay there, others go the alternative metal route. Just going through the beaten path a thousand times just won't cut it for me.

I only listen to Insomnium and Dark Tranquillity these days, as the others went completely shitty, that includes Children of Bodom, Norther, In Flames and Arch Enemy.

Amorphis.

They don't follow the stereotypical melodeath sound. The Karelian Isthmus and Tales From the Thousand Lakes are must-own melodic death/doom metal.

Amorphis still kick ass, but they're not death metal anymore.

Amon Amarth are also melodic death metal that doesn't sound like all the other melodic death metal.
They're also totally kickass and definitely death metal.

Mors is good as far as melodeath goes, but they bring nothing new to the table.

Somewhat agree, though I wouldn't say nothing new to the table.

I don't really see melodic death as forced. My problem with the genre lies in that many bands seem to get comfortable just doing what they do and don't innovate. A lot just start doing a combination of heavy metal/thrash/power metal with harsh vocals and stay there, others go the alternative metal route. Just going through the beaten path a thousand times just won't cut it for me.

That can be said about any genre. Most musicians in most genres go down the beaten path as you say. The purpose of this post was to see if anybody is listening to a badass underground melodeth band and wants to share them hear so we can check em out. I still highly suggest Of Raven & Ruins or Mors Principium Est if you haven't taken the time yet!

That can be said about any genre. Most musicians in most genres go down the beaten path as you say. The purpose of this post was to see if anybody is listening to a badass underground melodeth band and wants to share them hear so we can check em out. I still highly suggest Of Raven & Ruins or Mors Principium Est if you haven't taken the time yet!

Hardly. Bands in other genres of metal (most notably black and death metal) already took the first steps in expanding the horizons in metal music.

Btw, I have listened to Mors I honestly don't see the appeal. A band that does what they do much better would be Intestine Baalism.

Who the fuck are Mors?

BTW I'm listening to Intestine Baalism's MySpace... They're kinda/sorta cool so far I guess. They're just generic as fuck. Goddamn I want to hear something that isn't so damn generic.