Melodic Death Metal isn't dead...

Here's a little thing that works for every genre: 80% (or whatever large percent you want) of (insert genre here)sucks.

Melodeath is currently in favor, this means a lot of crappy bands. Back in the 90s it was just plain Death Metal, before that heavy, thrash and all that.

Be that as it may, that truck load of shitty bands is of no consequence as you can easily ignore them for the good bands.

Here's a little thing that works for every genre: 80% (or whatever large percent you want) of (insert genre here)sucks.

Melodeath is currently in favor, this means a lot of crappy bands. Back in the 90s it was just plain Death Metal, before that heavy, thrash and all that.

Be that as it may, that truck load of shitty bands is of no consequence as you can easily ignore them for the good bands.

Well said! :kickass:

BTW I'm listening to Intestine Baalism's MySpace... They're kinda/sorta cool so far I guess. They're just generic as fuck. Goddamn I want to hear something that isn't so damn generic.

yeah the newer stuff is a bit shit, try the first album. i'm not a huge fan of that either, but it's more original.

Who the fuck are Mors?

BTW I'm listening to Intestine Baalism's MySpace... They're kinda/sorta cool so far I guess. They're just generic as fuck. Goddamn I want to hear something that isn't so damn generic.

Mors Principium Est.

Intestine Baalism are one of the few bands that actually combine death metal with melody and do not fall under the cliche of power metal riffs with harsh vocals (at least the first album).

I never liked IB's second album, but the debut is good.

I think the reason most melodeath is crap (and the fact that the genre is stagnant) is because it waters down both heavy metal and death metal, to create a style that is far more limited in scope than more established genres.

To be honest, Omnium Gatherum is the only bad of the style I really still care about.

I think the reason most melodeath is crap (and the fact that the genre is stagnant) is because it waters down both heavy metal and death metal, to create a style that is far more limited in scope than more established genres.

I think that's partially my problem with it. It takes death metal, mixes it with conventions of more melodic styles (be it thrash, power, classic or whatever) and creates a hybrid that ultimately strips away a lot of the traits I love about all of those. But I also can't really say that it's any more or less stagnant or innovative than most other subgenres; it's just that with those other subgenres, when it's mediocre, it's still relatively easy for me to enjoy (albeit to a lesser degree, of course). But with MDM, when it's less than stellar, it's downright intolerable to me. That might be somewhat a result of years of seeing the market become so saturated with MDM-ish bands that receive more hype, but even when I was first getting into extreme metal, it was always harder to find bands like that who really grabbed me in the same way. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

One of the things is that I think there's some death metal I like that is relatively more melodic but isn't normally classified as such. Often with many doomier, creepy passages. I'm kinda at a loss for specific band names right now though.

I don't get way some people say that melodic death metal is not "extreme". When I listen to The Gallery I find it extreme and heavy, a lot of times more so than normal death metal.

Crappy bands make crappy music that wont provoke emotion. There are lots of crappy bands in MDM at this time, unfortunately.

Good melodic death metal:

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Embracing - I Bear the Burden of Time
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast
Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead
The Moaning - Blood From Stone

It's not any more dead than any other style of metal. You just gotta look for those underground gems.

Man, I think those are some of the worst melodic death metal bands, 'cept for a bit of AA. Early At the Gates, Arch Enemy, post grind Carcass, & Kalmah are where it's at.

Wow how can I forget Arch Enemy, Kalmah & At The Gates.:kickass:

I'm going to add another

Deadlock is starting to get more known in the world of Melodic Death Metal, these guys are exceptionally good. V.V.V.V.V will probably agree with this since I know he likes them too.