Melodic death Metal

Kengren

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2008
What are your top 5 Favorite Melodic Death Metal Bands?

Kalmah
Mors Principium Est
Skyfire
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Insomnium

Amon Amarth ldo
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
At The Gates
The Black Dahlia Murder

this is a stupid thread, though.
How about we, i dunno, discuss melodic death metal instead of just listing our favorites?

I'm not big into this genre anymore, but I still love most of Hypocrisy's and Dark Tranquillity's discographies.

I think the melodic death metal genre is back underground...

I know there are bands that still say there melodic but mostly they have a "mainstream sound"

I think one of the bands that still is true to Melodic DM is Dismember

Yeah, Dismember is good shit, they are one of the few bands that appeals to both OSDM fans and newer melo-death heads.

Yeah, Dismember is good shit, they are one of the few bands that appeals to both OSDM fans and newer melo-death heads.

Also one of those bands could be considered Callenish Circle except their newer album is more electronic, but they started out playing covers songs of Bolt thrower,(old)Paradise Lost and Death

I think there's room for discussion here.

I'd like to talk about a recent development that I find interesting, which is that bands like Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, and In Flames have moved into a new style that sounds nothing like the original melodic death metal but doesn't really fit into anything else. For now this is known as melodeath, I guess. I happen to like the style, most do not, but regardless it's important because not only is it Something New, but it's also something that's bringing a certain amount of mainstream attention to heavy metal, which is always nice.

What do you guys think?

I think there's room for discussion here.

I'd like to talk about a recent development that I find interesting, which is that bands like Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, and In Flames have moved into a new style that sounds nothing like the original melodic death metal but doesn't really fit into anything else. For now this is known as melodeath, I guess. I happen to like the style, most do not, but regardless it's important because not only is it Something New, but it's also something that's bringing a certain amount of mainstream attention to heavy metal, which is always nice.

What do you guys think?

I agree with you In Flames, Soilwork also The Haunted are melo-death, but I think Scar Symmetry is more progressive than the rest of the others...as for making Melodic DM mainstream I agree, but what's ironic is one of the founders of Melodic DM isn't as popular as In Flames and the band is Dark Tranquillity.
Last year I went to their concert and they weren't even headliners at a small club maybe 300 people...It's weird because a band like that should have a HUGE following since they haven't strayed from their style.

Not a big fan of the genre but even more so to what previous poster said;Eucharist is a band that deserves a shitload of recognition for what they´ve done for the genre,they haven´t gotten it and sadly enough they almost seem forgotten.

Not a big fan of the genre but even more so to what previous poster said;Eucharist is a band that deserves a shitload of recognition for what they´ve done for the genre,they haven´t gotten it and sadly enough they almost seem forgotten.

You are right about Eucharist but the only problem and that's why they seem forgotten is that they split-up in 1997

I agree with you In Flames, Soilwork also The Haunted are melo-death, but I think Scar Symmetry is more progressive than the rest of the others...as for making Melodic DM mainstream I agree, but what's ironic is one of the founders of Melodic DM isn't as popular as In Flames and the band is Dark Tranquillity.
Last year I went to their concert and they weren't even headliners at a small club maybe 300 people...It's weird because a band like that should have a HUGE following since they haven't strayed from their style.
DT have strayed immensely from their original style, you must be joking. Listen to Skydancer and then listen to Fiction. It's like 2 different bands. All great stuff, but they've definitely morphed over the years.
DT are still popular, though.

Well, they are awesome, but they're also not around any more.
So yeah, that'll do it.

At The Gates
The Absence
The Black Dahlia Murder
In Flames
Hypocrisy

I forgot how much I love TBDM but I revisited Miasma the other day. :) Are the other ones as good? Both are at the record store and was thinking about picking them up.

IMO, TBDM sound more Death Metal than most typical MDM bands.

I need to grab me some Callenish Circle. "Sweet Cyanide" was one of the first Metal songs I heard.

DT have strayed immensely from their original style, you must be joking. Listen to Skydancer and then listen to Fiction. It's like 2 different bands. All great stuff, but they've definitely morphed over the years.
DT are still popular, though.

Well, they are awesome, but they're also not around any more.
So yeah, that'll do it.

Yea but they haven't changed musically like In Flames has...

It's like comparing Number of the Beast and Dance of Death

Both Maiden albums but the sound is different, the production is different

DT has morphed within the genre but In Flames went beyond almost into metalcore

I forgot how much I love TBDM but I revisited Miasma the other day. :) Are the other ones as good? Both are at the record store and was thinking about picking them up.

IMO, TBDM sound more Death Metal than most typical MDM bands.
Unhallowed is better than Miasma, what I've heard off their latest is also better than Miasma.
Miasma is good, but Unhallowed blows it out of the fucking water. If you want proof, check out Closed Casket Requiem, Elder Misanthropy, or Thy Horror Cosmic. You won't need a second listen.

Yeah, they are heavier than most swedish melodeath bands.
Paths of Possession are similar in being very much death metal but then with slick, polished melodies, although in a different style.

Yea but they haven't changed musically like In Flames has...

It's like comparing Number of the Beast and Dance of Death

Both Maiden albums but the sound is different, the production is different

DT has morphed within the genre but In Flames went beyond almost into metalcore
DT added a keyboardist. Their original style was tremelo picked guitar melodies. Now they have piano and keyboard melodies with syncopated guitar chugging and some single-picked guitar melodies. The change has been just as dramatic as In Flames' progression has been.

The same thing could be said about At The Gates who split up around the same time in that case,but for some reason they are treated different.
Because they were better than Eucharist.
Because Slaughter Of The Soul spawned metalcore.
Because tRitSIO is just made of fucking win.

Unhallowed is better than Miasma, what I've heard off their latest is also better than Miasma.
Miasma is good, but Unhallowed blows it out of the fucking water. If you want proof, check out Closed Casket Requiem, Elder Misanthropy, or Thy Horror Cosmic. You won't need a second listen.

Yeah, they are heavier than most swedish melodeath bands.
Paths of Possession are similar in being very much death metal but then with slick, polished melodies, although in a different style.

I'll take your word for it. :kickass:

Do so. Go get 'em. I spent the last week listening to Unhallowed (since I was in the woods and it was all I have) and I didn't get bored of it.

At The Gates melodic death metal hasn´t got anything on Eucharist. The indeed awesome tritsio certainly is melodic but in a pure death metal way so i´m not adding that to the scales.

The Black Dahlia Murder is like scenesters poorly ripping off newer AT The Gates,etc.. and even saying that is pushing it.

Edge of Sanity is by far my favorite melodic DM band.

others

Hypocrisy
Centinex
Necrophobic
Scar Symmetry
At The Gates
Unanimated

some fav albums

Sentenced ~north from here
Eucharist ~mirrorworlds
Amorphis ~the karelian isthmus
Soilwork ~a predators portrait