Melodic Death Metal isn't dead...

Melodic death metal is not dead, but it is stagnant. Several ex-melodic death metal bands like In Flames and Soilwork are now playing what I think of as melodic alternative metal.

haha I finally got you to admit this, right? After you even went so far as to make a thread with a poll on the IF forum asking if the band was "still melodeath." You used to defend them to boot. What happened to make you finally see the light?

Man, I think those are some of the worst melodic death metal bands, 'cept for a bit of AA. Early At the Gates, Arch Enemy, post grind Carcass, & Kalmah are where it's at.

Amon Amarth get samey, but they have some excellent material. Their new album is fucking AWESOME. AE are meh, and early At The Gates (TRITSIO) wasn't really all that melodic.

Carcass, of course, are epic win.

Ayreon_-_Human_Equation.jpg

I honestly don't think this album is 1/4 as good as "Into the Electric Castle" but it's still pretty good.

I'm listen to melodic metal mostly and lately I've been having a hard time finding any new bands that deliver something "new", maybe MDM is still around but as said before is really a stagnant genre for now.

My fav Melodic Death band has been Arch Enemy (I've been listening to them ever since post-grindcore Carcass) and sincerely I gotta thank Angela Gossow for fucking up my favorite Melodic death metal band, with their last 2 albums I officially lost hope on them and had to go back to listen to the old nice John Liva's Arch Enemy.

PS: I wouldn't call Soilwork/In Flames "Melodic Alternative Metal" they are in the thin line between Hardcore and Melodic Death which is really crappy in my opinion.

my favorite melodeath bands or albums are:

Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance
In Flames - Colony
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin and Burning Bridges
Kalmah (Melodeath...?) - Swampsong and They will Return
The Crown - Crowned in Terror
Exhumation - Dance across the past and Traumaticon

Does any one like In Flames' Subterranean? I just got it and am a bit suprised that it's pretty good melodeath. Also helps that Dawn's vocalist is on it.

Hypocrisy still fucking kills and is my favorite melodic dm band!

I use to listen to Arch Enemey, Early In Flames, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility and a few others but not so much anymore. Most Melodic DM has gone to shit however, there are still a few lesser known Melodic DM bands out there.