Melodic death Metal

wat

Amon Amarth are imo the closest thing to a straight up death metal band in melodic death metal. Instead of doing what bands like Black Dahlia and Paths of Possession do where they mix death metal riffs with melodies, AA are pure melodies, but in a really brutal fashion somehow.
Their melodies sound far closer to classical than folk.
I'll give you that. I guess I just lump them into folk metal because the sing about vikings. Whatever.

And Einsiferum aren't melodic death metal at all. They're just folk metal.
This however, not so much. They're melodeath + folk. If you took out the violins and flutes, you'd have melodeath.

Either way, they're both awesome. I'm not going to argue about what genre some bands are because it never gets anywhere. Ever.

But based on the Einsiferum I've heard (the s/t), there's no death metal in there.

DAMNIT not this shit again. I swear I've explained it a billion times.

Melo-death is not technically the same as "melodic death metal." Melo-death = more like power-y metal with harsh vocals and more sinister riff structure (sometimes) than typical PM. Melodic death metal is death metal with ostentatious or obvious melodic influences, sometimes in line with heavy metal.

oh, sorry, I read your post as melodic death metal. I said they weren't melodic death metal, and then you said they were partly melo-death metal, and I added the "dic" there.

Meh, for purposes of this thread, I was trying not to be nitpicky, esp. how the topic was introduced (using the wrong terminology...forgivable, but yeah).

sOnIc SyNdIcAtE!!!!11111

Naw, I like:

Kalmah
Insomnium
Dark Tranquility
old In Flames
Schaliach
Lykathea Aflame (sp?)
Mors Principum Est
Eternal Tears of Sorrow

I know that wasnt 5, but whatever. And I probably forgot some.

Kalmah and Dark Tranquility are probably the most solid Melodeath bands today. Kalmah being my favorite.

The old Swedish scene was absolutely full of short lived bands that actually released quality albums without completely forgetting that they were playing a form of Death Metal.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of this sub-genre should trace the roots and familiarize themselves with these names: A Canorous Quintet, A Mind Confused, Ablaze My Sorrow, Cardinal Sin, Ceremonial Oath, Chastisement, Crown of Thorns, Decameron, Desultory, Embracing, Eternal Lies, Eucharist, Excretion, Gates of Ishtar, Godgory, Hypocrite, Infernal Gates, Miscreant, Sacrilege, Scheitan, The Moaning and Unanimated.

Early stuff is better in all cases.

This.