Melodic Death Metal

Jul 19, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Ok, so I've had Deaths albums Human and Symbolic for about a month now, and both totally kick ass... what other bands/ cd's could you recomend, keeping in mind that I'm not really into brutal death metal, only the melodic stuff like Death.

Sacramentum were far better as a black metal band. Thy Black Destiny was very "meh"ish If you want some great melodic BM, do check out Far Away From The Sun by Sacramentum.

As for Melodic DM, try Amorphis (early), Necrophobic, Eucharist, The Chasm

yeah i never considered Death to be Melodic DM ... try Black Dahlia Murder and not so melodic Behemoth's Demigod album... and coughs :: Opeth :: lol ....

The Grimace said:
Death = Melodic Death Metal = :lol:

My thoughts exactly.

I think what the poster is looking for is bands who play old school death metal, or simply, non-brutal death metal (Which is not necessarily melodic; some people seem to have a warped perception of melody). Try these.

Atheist- Piece of Time
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Brutality - When the Sky Turns Black
Cadaver - ...In Pains
Creepmime - Shadows
Entombed - Clandestine
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Mortuary - Blackened Images
Nocturnus - The Key
Order From Chaos - An Ending in Fire. And then, perhaps, Stillbirth Machine(One of the most brutal albums I have heard, but not in the typical sense)
Pentacle - ...Rides The Moonstorm
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire

RideForVengance said:
Ok, so I've had Deaths albums Human and Symbolic for about a month now, and both totally kick ass... what other bands/ cd's could you recomend, keeping in mind that I'm not really into brutal death metal, only the melodic stuff like Death.
From this, the band you're looking for is Martyr. They've got the technical strength and a similar style to later Death, without a lot of the sentimentality (and even equally bad vocals!).

You also probably want to check out Atheist- Unquestionable Presence, Demilich-Nespithe, Cynic- Demo '88, and probably Gorguts- Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate, and Capharnaum- Reality Only Fantasized and Fractured.

Snowblind said:
Sacramentum were far better as a black metal band. Thy Black Destiny was very "meh"ish If you want some great melodic BM, do check out Far Away From The Sun by Sacramentum.

The Coming of Chaos was a very good melodic death album, a lot better than Thy Black Destiny but I agree that Far Away From the Sun is the quintessential Sacramentum album.

Staples of genuine 'melodic death':
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

Define melodic death. I wouldn't have thought about The Chasm in the sense of melodic death, but I don't disagree, that they write some great melodies.

Key MDM imo:

Amorphis
At the Gates
Necrophobic
Arghoslent

Amon amarth - Get versus the world first
Anata - Under a stone with no inscription
Kronos - Collosal titan strife

All good and have there fair share of melodic moments

I always thought that Death's Human was pretty damn melodic. Not as much as Sounds of Perseverance, of course, but still quite melodic.

I'd recommend "Sacriliege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay"

And At the Gates and Eucharist are pure melodeath, and not what the thread-starter is looking fir, I think. It doesn't hurt to try anyway, though, as the releases mentioned by these bands are pretty damn fantastic.

Early ATG and "A Velvet Creation" aren't pure melodeath (in the dark tranquillity etc sense of the term), in fact that Sacrilege is far moreso (though decent).

Guardian of Darkness said:
Early ATG and "A Velvet Creation" aren't pure melodeath (in the dark tranquillity etc sense of the term), in fact that Sacrilege is far moreso (though decent).

Early At the Gates defined the whole Gothenberg genre for me for a long time. It didn't start with "Slaughter of the Soul", but that's when it really started to grow. I agree that "Lost in the Beauty You Slay" can be reminiscent with the Gothenberg sound, but less so than At the Gates and Eucharist, and is surely more similar to Human and Symbolic.

Cythraul said:
The Coming of Chaos was a very good melodic death album, a lot better than Thy Black Destiny but I agree that Far Away From the Sun is the quintessential Sacramentum album.
Yeah, The Coming of Chaos was pretty good.