Melodic Death Metal

People just don't take the time to get into and "get" Dream Theater. Why should they when it's so much easier to just jump on the bandwagon and call them a bunch of shred wankers?

Barking Pumpkin said:
You'd probably say the same about Dream Theater, right?

I happen to think DT's output is pretty hit and miss, especially given that often utter cringe-inducing vocalist. They also tend to repeat themselves quite a bit - in terms of the kind of parts, time signature changes they use etc. BUT when they 'hit' they can be pretty fucking awesome. So no I wouldn't.

Goatfxxker said:
Martyr are a bunch of musos with their heads stuck so far up their own arses they cant't see that 'awkward time signature' and '1M riffs' do not equate to a good song, however skilled you are at playing your own instrument... and they play their own instruments a hell of a lot.

They made one decent album. The rest is self-absorbed musical masturbation.

And if you actually have a real point of view on the subject and you want to make a point I suggest you try venturing out of your current monosyllabic/ 2-digit IQ/ retarded abuse territory.

Hopeless Hopes owns you so much it's not even funny. I won't even bother going into an essay-long rant (I could but I'm lazy) about why Martyr is so so so so FUCKING much better than Death could have ever possibly hoped to be in terms of musicianship, songwriting (Hopeless Hopes in particular) and lyrics. Also, what the hell is a "1M riff"? If that's your idea of musical terminology then :lol: So in conclusion, you may continue to verbally fellate the Kenny G. of death metal but seriously: GET OUT.

Oh so it "owns" me does it? Right, first of all a capital M is shorthand for "mega", "x10^6" or "million" if you still havent got it by now. Try looking in any secondary school science or maths textbook.
Secondly you are obviously someone who cannot fathom the essential factors that make music truly great as opposed to a really impressive warm-up exercise. And I'm not just talking about Death.
Thank fuck Martyr split, because apart from that one decent album they made, they are STERILE and BO-RING.

If you want something that sounds like Death, check out Sceptic and Gory Blister. If you want melodic death metal, try Holymarsh, Before God, Fragments of Unbecoming, Burden of Grief, Dark Lunacy, Horrid, Infliction, Infernal Poetry, Horrified, etc., and of course all the bands everyone else mentioned.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about Sceptic. Polish death clone feat Decapitated guitarist - pretty good apart from the fact there is little evidence of them trying to be even slightly different. A bit like Exhumed or Impaled I guess.

Goatfxxker said:
Oh so it "owns" me does it? Right, first of all a capital M is shorthand for "mega", "x10^6" or "million" if you still havent got it by now. Try looking in any secondary school science or maths textbook.
Secondly you are obviously someone who cannot fathom the essential factors that make music truly great as opposed to a really impressive warm-up exercise. And I'm not just talking about Death.
Thank fuck Martyr split, because apart from that one decent album they made, they are STERILE and BO-RING.

Oh you make me laugh. Seriously. What are these essential factors that make music truly great? Oh I get it, since you like Death I think you must be referring to a propensity to take challenging prog elements and reducing them to accessible, easily-digested, pop metal. You probably like amateurish pseudo-virtuosos that use the same fucking Phrygian mode lick in every sappy, overwrought solo they play (Chuck Schuldiner). Not only is the first Martyr album one of the most well-composed, challenging and inspired pieces of prog-death metal I've ever heard, it's also COMPLETELY DEVOID of what you refer to as "impressive warm-up exercises". If you ever want to hear songs that consist of vapid hand exercises I suggest you listen to some Psycroptic.