Metal 2016

the production is not the problem with that album. might even be the best thing about it.

edit: i like the guitar tone and the meaty drums, anyway. not sure about how the vocals are mixed.

i guess to me if there's one instrument that's allowed to dominate it's the guitars, especially when they're clearly going for that vast stadium-filling kind of sound. maybe if i heard a better recorded version i'd appreciate what i was missing but, like, my production threshold is way lower than this, i do have a black metal background after all.

i still don't particularly care about this album aside from one song though so i'm with you on that.

Arthur was going for that 80s arena-rock style with the drums. Heavy on the snare and high hat and shit. I fucking love it.

My top 5 so far

1) Wytch Hazel - Prelude
2) Sumerlands - Sumerlands
3) Eternal Champion - The Armour of Ire
4) High Spirits - Motivator
5) Antaeus - Condemnation

Reactions: CiG

3rd Halestorm covers EP. There is a Ride the Lightning cover on this EP and I can't wait to hear that. And this Whitesnake cover is badass, Lzzy is fucking amazing.

My top 10 right now but it migh change..

1. Katatonia – The Fall of Hearts
  2. pg.lost - Versus
  3. TID – Fix Idé
  4. Megadeth – Dystopia
  5. Dark Tranquillity – Atoma
  6. Diabolical – Umbra (EP)
  7. Insomnium – Winters Gate
  8. Meshuggah – The Violent Sleep of Reason
  9. If These Trees Could Talk – The Bones of a Dying World
  10. Cauldron – In Ruin

I need to make an effort to relisten to everything I bought this year. ~40 releases will take a while and I may buy a few more before EOY.

This would probably be mine right now in no particular order:

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Opeth - Sorceress
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence (this surprised the fuck out of me)
Shed the Skin - Harrowing Faith
Revocation - Great Is Our Sin
Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience
Obscura - Akroasis
Megadeth - Dystopia
Metal Church - XI
Striker - Stand in the Fire

I want to put the Defeated Sanity in Top 10 but unsure because it's a split EP with themselves. The new Katatonia was really disappointing given how strong Dead End Kings was.

Not familiar with most of those y'all posted. I guess I'm significantly more in tune with pagan, atmoblack, and stoner/sludge than the rest. Vektor transcends genre though. AOTY for sure.

@The Ozzman I forgot about Transcendence. What a killer record....some of those songs, while not up to par with Devin's early material, are still seriously impressive. I had "Secret Sciences" in my head for like 3 months not long ago. That album is definitely in my top 10 or 12.

@The Ozzman I forgot about Transcendence. What a killer record....some of those songs, while not up to par with Devin's early material, are still seriously impressive. I had "Secret Sciences" in my head for like 3 months not long ago. That album is definitely in my top 10 or 12.

Half of that record is better than any of the in crowd shit mentioned this year by far

I can't even think of a truly stand out album this year, Vektor would be the closest though. Exmortus was good but not their best. Gruesome and Obliterated had solid releases but those were EPs. Ripper, the new Watchtower and Pulsar should be mentioned. Hemotoxin and Condition Critical released the best material I've heard from those bands so far. Warfect slightly downgraded this year but it's still Warfect.