Metal 2016

My top 10 right now but it migh change..

1. Katatonia – The Fall of Hearts
  2. pg.lost - Versus
  3. TID – Fix Idé
  4. Megadeth – Dystopia
  5. Dark Tranquillity – Atoma
  6. Diabolical – Umbra (EP)
  7. Insomnium – Winters Gate
  8. Meshuggah – The Violent Sleep of Reason
  9. If These Trees Could Talk – The Bones of a Dying World
  10. Cauldron – In Ruin
What do you like about the new Katatonia?

I mean that album is good but a total departure from what they've done before. It seriously sounds like they decided to just get in a room, jam together, and record the results. Some of the songs just start and stop with no warning and the structures are weird. The record also suffers from a paucity of classic gut-wrenching moments that the early works are famous for. Jonas sounds killer and the production is fantastic but the songs are just so below what they are capable of.

Reactions: The Ozzman
What do you like about the new Katatonia?

Right now Everything. If you look back in this thread when it was released you will see that I had the same kind of thoughts as Uneasy_Conscience, I was really disappointed especially in Jonas weird vocal lines and didnt think it fit the music and weird melodies. I think I expeted and wanted another album like Dead End Kings and it is not, its much softer and slower. It took me like a month to get into it.

I also have to add that overall I have been disappointed this year, Meshuggah and Dark Tranquillity especially, but its still quality and they will probaby keep growing.

Last edited:

the moonblood guys released a full length this year under a new name (well, it's existed since '97 but this is their first proper album). may interest @Slayed Necros among others.

apparently the pre-moonblood band demoniac also released a new one this year randomly:

Last edited:
Reactions: Slayed Necros
along with moonblood i like that there are 2016 albums by ohtar, sacrilegium, sorcier des glaces, antaeus, wyrd, kawir, countess, belenos, darkestrah, profanatica, dark fury, arkona, agatus etc. lets me pretend i'm in a world where the last decade of hipster infiltration didn't happen.