Metal Girlfriends, or not?

freakbrother6969 said:
That's ok. But I (we) love to hear the music loud at home nearly every day. I can't imagine I could listen to Bloodbath if she would hate metal.
Our appartement looks like a "metal-cave" with posters, tickets, cds, action figures, skulls, dragons, bats,....... If I had a "normal" girl, we'd have flowers, harts, teddybears,...... :puke:
Other chicks tell their husbands when they get 30: CUT YOUR HAIR!
My girl often says: IF YOU EVER CUT YOUR HAIR, I'LL QUIT!

LOL no flowers and hearts.

Well in oz most metal chicks wear mostly black and dark huge amounts of make up.....What can i say i like pink on girls, it makes them look girly. Though i dont want my girl to sound like barbie. Also my girl doesnt wear much make up at all, she doesnt need it. Just the way the metal girls down here present themselves is closer to a transvestite then anything else.

I like keeping my enviroment sterile looking. Basic and bland, clinical. I hate clutter and putting to much colour or character in a room. Mind you its hardly ever i get this, especially with my current living. But im am moving out this month by the look of things so it should be good.

I dont like the band asosiation stuff and adverting im a fan of a certain band all the time. i have long hair but i wear clean cut clothes (Probably because of my time in the Australian Armed Forces). Unless im mixing or performing metal then ill wear a bloodbath t shirt or something kickass, the bands usually like it.

I dont like having metal things around me 24/7. Its apart of my life but metal is not my life. Id say music is my life. Im an audio engineer and a musician. Metal is about 40% of my musical taste. Which is probably why i can tolerate having a girl who doesnt like most of the metal i listen to. We do share the same tastes in other musical genres and whatnot.

Mind you my girl doesnt hate all forms of metal. Likes some of the glam/power metal and also some industrial stuff. I think she isnt keen on the growling and depressive overtones.

I dont look anything like i did back in my band days ( long hair, band shirts, more chains than canadian snow tires). My girlfriend's the same way, she was all hardcore with the makeup and shit but now shez clean cut. It's funny cuz my girlfriend and i look like preps but we're more hardcore into metal than most posers that walk around our city with Obituary t-shirts and don't even own or listen to any of their music. Then they criticize me for selling out.....i fucking hate posers, more than emo kids.

My wife is into metal as well as me! I can't imagine to live together with discogirl! o_O

freakbrother6969 said:
I'm together with my metal-girlfriend for nine years now.
We visit every metal-show in vienna (no matter if it's "HER" band or "MY" band).

She opened my mind for some bands I never noticed. And so did I.

We'll marry on 666 (6. June 2006), wearing a Black Sabbath suit and the registrar playing Anthrax' "safe home".

Some of my friends chose a non-metal-chick. After some months they don't go to shows anymore ("she" hates it), they don't go to metal-pubs (sorry, she "hates" it), wear "normal" clothes and they even stop listening to metal!
It sucks! They cut their hair and go to DISCO!

I'm really lucky that I found a chick that loves metal.
The best thing is: We've bands that we both love, but we've bands that are "our own" taste.

And who said metal-chicks don't look good? MINE looks GREAT!
:headbang:

I wish you luck and happiness in your mariage! And you are right for those many guys that stop listening metal because of their girls. It's weak!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Flal said:
I dont look anything like i did back in my band days ( long hair, band shirts, more chains than canadian snow tires). My girlfriend's the same way, she was all hardcore with the makeup and shit but now shez clean cut. It's funny cuz my girlfriend and i look like preps but we're more hardcore into metal than most posers that walk around our city with Obituary t-shirts and don't even own or listen to any of their music. Then they criticize me for selling out.....i fucking hate posers, more than emo kids.

Posers are the worst thing in the world. If they don't listen to metal and hate it ok it's their greatest mistake in their fucking life, but if their pretend to listen metal than they are the greatest jerk in the universe.And they should all get killed!:mad:

it's good if your girlfriend/boyfriend gets you to appreciate music you wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. a common misconception among those who primarily listen to metal is that house music sucks. well, some do and some don't. there is a good bit of stuff out there that is really good, and sometimes what one needs is the right kind of introduction from someone whose tastes one will not dismiss so easily. i got introduced to quality tech house and progressive house by my girlfriend, for instance.

Well a metal girl is great but...

Pros: You can relate to her as much as she can to you (music wise), this brings another level of understanding i believe.

Cons: Well talking about my experience, most of them are posers, some are as said before, even more into the brutal stuff than you and im sure that there are some that arent posers at all.

When you broke with one of them it will be always hard to see her on the same concerts and stuff you like to go... trust me ive been there.

Exiled said:
Well a metal girl is great but...

Pros: You can relate to her as much as she can to you (music wise), this brings another level of understanding i believe.

Cons: Well talking about my experience, most of them are posers, some are as said before, even more into the brutal stuff than you and im sure that there are some that arent posers at all.

When you broke with one of them it will be always hard to see her on the same concerts and stuff you like to go... trust me ive been there.

Tell me about it. For some time I couldn't go out to many places because I broke up with my girlfriend a month ago. It was a disaster. But now it's ok, I have another girl and we almost always go to each others place and don't go to some gigs and those stuff.

Hey I had a fight last year with my ex,because she was into that alternative shit and she told Bloodbath "shitheads".Man I really got mad!!!And I said "You are a shithead":lol: So it could cause some problems if your girlfriend isn't into metal.But still I don't mind to find a metal chick,a good personality will be enough for me...
PS: Don't ever tell Bloodbath shithead!!!:heh:

Hehe this is indeed very funny to read from a girls perspective.
I agree when people say that you must have more than only your taste of music in common. But for me music is such an important thing in my life.
I listen to music ALL the time and for me there are just so many emotions involved with it that I couldnt stand it if my boyfriend would not feel the same way about the bands and artists that i really really like.
I am a singer myself and so if my bf wouldnt appreciate my music it would crush me...
Of course you dont have to like everything equally as much, but for me there has to be some common ground in music ( as well as other opinions)
I think the reason that you like particulair bands is because you get a certain feeling from it and that's because you have a certain personality and sort of , i don't know, "spirit"...
For instance, a guy that listens to only rap and or the music that's in the charts , and doesnt like f.e. Katatonia because "they're too depressing" could never truelly understand me and my feelings. Not that I'm depressed all the time :p
but still, this darkness is a part of me. Always has been since I was a little girl.
I have always been obsessed with history and just stories and the darker side of life. I want to study history and I love old buildings and well everything that's old - er... except dirty old men .. just to make that clear!-
Im not gothic or whatever and I frankly didnt know anything about the metalscene untill a year ago when my (ex)boyfriend and his friends introduced me too bands like Katatonia, Anathema , Isis and Opeth.(now I still dont listen to the real hard stuff -deathmetal- cuz its just tooo hard for little me :p but I love the melancholic avantgardish things.)
My ex is still a very good friend of mine and just recently we had a conversation about how happy I am that I met him and he showed me that world... Because I just never came across it before... I did listen to rock and stuff and I loved Tool because I saw "Shism" on TV (!) one time and was blown away by the bassline and the creepyness of the song and video. (this only to underline my total unawareness)
Anyways what I am trying to say in this post (wich is almost turning into "my life story" :p) is that for me it just wouldnt do if the guy wouldnt at least like my favorite bands as much as I do because I think than there would be too much of me that he could never truelly understand.

Me an my GF have been together for almost 10 years. I've been really into metal the whole time, but I also listen to some other stuff like rock and some goth stuff like Fields of The Nephilim. My girl doesn't really enjoy my music too much, but we have sort of a middle ground where our tastes meet, so when we're together we usually listen to those bands (mostly rock bands and the like). She listens to a lot of softer shit that I really hate though, but we never argue about this, she listens to it sometimes and I put up with it, cause I know she puts up with the heavier stuff for my sake sometimes. We've had this balance going on for many years now, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Even if I don't like some of her music, it opens me up to a lot of new genres that I would never have heard otherwise. And occasionally I bring home something new that she likes too, and those times are always a little extra nice! :D

Oh, and she's really adamant about me not cutting my hair. "Don't ever cut your hair, you'd look like a geek!" she tells me. So I guess she likes it a lot, which makes her at least a little bit metal. ;) Although she dresses more like a "regular" chick than a metal chick, but that's just good, cause most metal chicks here are attention whores who are too fat or ugly to be noticed otherwise. Nothing worse than flab wearing a corset :ill: :puke:

i agree, from a female point of view its quite entrataining seeing metal guys talking their mind :)
well as it's been said before, metal lover girls are not "metal looking".. or at least the ones i know... they only get a bit dressed up for shows and stuff...as for me i normaly wear some band tshit like once a week (normally katatonia) and that as "metal" as it gets, normlly just dress as a preppy canadian, since those sorta clothes are easy to get and cheap as hell... band tees are a bit too expensive for my poor ass
i'd say musical affinity is important but not the defining thing to get into a relationship...and well no offence, but i dont like metal guys all that much, the ones i dated turned to be dicks...