Metal in the Weirdest Places

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I was just scanning through the channels today and Home Improvement came on. It was one of the episodes where the youngest kid is all depressed so he starts liking metal.

Anyway the kid was wearing a Sentenced "Amok" tour shirt.

So where else do you guys see metal in unexpected places?

I was just scanning through the channels today and Home Improvement came on. It was one of the episodes where the youngest kid is all depressed so he starts liking metal.

Anyway the kid was wearing a Sentenced "Amok" tour shirt.

So where else do you guys see metal in unexpected places?
i've seen that episode :kickass:

in the movie Matilda, Matilda's older brother wears Napalm Death and Judas Priest shirts in a few scenes.

In the just-aired series finale of Drawn Together, Wooldor Sockbat starts performing his song calmly...and then starts wailing away in a death-metal scream!

It was, sadly, one of the few funny things about the episode. :(

Speaking of Nevermore, one of the best -- and best-hidden -- sly references to outside metal in Metalocalypse comes when Murderface uses the phrase "...this Godless endeavor!" in an episode. It wasn't an 'in your face' reference like Finntroll's or Dimmu Burgers, but it was appreciated by those of us who recognized it. :worship:

...and speaking of that show, a ProgPower alumnus did one of the voices on the last new episode for 2007. I think that's a first for Metalocalypse. :headbang:

This is probably a more obvious one to those who have seen the movie, but in "Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead" the oldest son has several metal posters in his room (one being a Iron Maiden poster - I think it's Fear of the Dark - on the back of his bedroom door) and I believe he also sports several metal shirts throughout the movie, although it's been awhile since I've watched that flick ... guess I'll need to put that on my list of things I need to watch again. :heh:

There's an episode of Friends where Phoebe mentions liking Carcass. For fans of hardcore, there's also an episode where the friends walk down the street and you can briefly see flyers for Shelter & Youth of Today shows taped on a wall.

They played Marilyn Manson during a bowl game once... I think it might even have been the national championship. It was during one of those little vignettes they always have about the universities or the team's history. This was at least 7-8 years ago, probably more.

Not metal, but I'd swear I heard the strains of Kiss's "Comin' Home" during the Bama-LSU game when they went to commercial, and they played "Calling Dr. Love" on ER once--as Luka pulled his sports car up in front of the ER once, it was blasting out.

Then again, I don't get out much, so... :)

OH OH! I forgot this one! I visited a church one Sunday morning and they were talking about how people today are disenchanted with the world around them and are seeking something else to help them feel connected. Then the pastor played Queensrÿche's "Disconnected" over the loudspeakers for the congregation. :guh:

"Pull Me Under" playing on the piped-in music channel at Wal-Mart.

Opeth's Ghost Reveries -- special edition! -- being featured in the special eye-level CD display at my local podunk Wal-Mart, right next to Rolling Stones and whatever.

--Even better, I went back later that week and they were all gone.
--Even BETTER than that, when I went back the following week, they had put more copies in the same featured slot! :headbang:

San Fernando Jr. High School Band Room circa 1984. HUGE, and I mean freaking immense, wall poster of Iron Maiden "Killers" flanked by two equally large Rolling Stones "Tattoo" faced wall posters that were literally the backdrop for the entire band room. Definitely not your typical band class! lol I had the most awesome band teacher ever! :headbang:

"The Justice Friends" on Cartoon Network features a character named "Val Halen" ... a guitar-slinging metal viking. The perfect name! Van Halen + Valhalla :lol:

Val Halen - "And we shall thrash some most heinous villains":lol:

I don't know if it still playing but just recently there was a commerical for some feminine product on t.v. The song they were using?
An all female sung version of Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it"

They played Death Whispered a Lullaby by Opeth on the season finale of season 1 of Criminal Minds a couple years back now. It's not a metal song but it's from a metal band so it's close enough.

I was going through the interview process for my wedding at the Church, and my cellphone/IPod went off. What was the song being played? Nightwish's "End of All Hope".

My wife was watching celebrity fit club(I believe) and while they were running they played part of Blinded from Evergrey. Also in School of Rock, in the apartment you can see all kinds of stickers and I know one of them is for The Haunted. My wife also said an some show she was watching on MTV she heard something off of Opeth's damnation. I think I also heard something on pimp my ride a long time ago(I can't remember what it was though). My wife and her damned MTV, but with the few songs I have heard you would think they would include it more than just having headbangers ball on mtv2.