Near the site for one who lost his trials
Sleeping neath the ground is me

Still day beneath the sun
Asking you who is the one
And when the day is late
We know who must forever wait

Need some good lyrics?

546539.jpg

topical stuff or emotional stuff or existential stuff. good lyrics.
Since when did emotional and existancial stuff being talked about equal it being universally good? And since when did truth equal your matter of opinion?

And if all you're looking for is crying and whining then I suggest you direct your attention to somewhat mainstream genres. I highly recommend Dashboard Confessional.

Bal-Sagoth - When Rides the Scion of the Storms

Hearken boy; for I would tell thee a tale before we set sail for the Bay of Biscay on the morrow. I was not always called by this name, you know... To you, I am Caleb Blackthorne, battle-scarred master of an English galleon, survivor of a score of sea-fights, cheater of the notched blades of many an over ambitious Spanish pirate... the Scourge of Medina Sedonia! But to many others over the countless centuries since my first birth, I have been known by a host of other names... so many that even I begin to forget all but the ones distinguished by the most vivid deeds... for I hide a wondrous secret, boy... a secret some would call a blessing, but which others would deem a grim curse. Aye, it all began a very long time ago...

Memories of death and life...

For countless thousands of years I have walked the earth...
I have seen endless battle, and untold centuries of slaughter.
I am reborn once more!
The same grim spirit once again given flesh...
O' to be ravished by the seductress death...

The Scion of the Storms:
Dethroned 'ere Atlantis fell, haunted by a dark queen's curse,
My son's soul shackled by this spell of endless death and grim rebirth.
Fly, o' skyborne steed of Lyonesse, ride the tempest's wings,
I am the scion of the vengeful skies, a god to warriors and kings!

Reflections on lifetimes of carnage:

I have been slain by Roman gladius, and by Norman spear dealt a mortal wound,
The threads of my ensorcelled destiny endlessly woven on some unknown cosmic loom.
I have lost my life to longbow shafts, fighting for the English crown,
And mayhap I'll end this mariner's life a good three score fathoms down!

I marched with vast armies 'ere gleaming Atlantis sank beneath the waves...
I reddened my blade against Caesar's legions long ago...
I stood beside Boudicca at Colchester...
I dealt honed steel death from the ranks of Arthur Pendragon...
I slew and looted gloriously at Lindisfarne...
I slaked my scramasax at Maldon...
I crossed blades with Brian Boru at Clontarf...
I slaughtered left and right with Harold at Hastings...
I dispatched Norman swordsmen with Robin of Loxley...
I wielded a Claymore at Stirling Bridge...
I was in the thick of the fray beside Henry at Agincourt...
I spilled blood for the White Rose at Bosworth Field...
I captained a galleon against the great Armada of Philip II...

I have witnessed the rise of corrupt religions, but my heathen blade was red countless centuries before their flaccid laws were ever carved in stone.

They call me the Scourge of Medina Sedonia... my ship sails at dawn, and may our English steel ring gloriously against the cutlasses of the outlander pirates!

Aye boy, it is a strange tale indeed. I know not why I am destined to live and die in this way, my soul moving from life to life, ever dying and being again reborn, with every memory of my past incarnations intact. A whim of the gods? An ancient sorcerous spell? Some cruel machination of fate, mayhap? Or is it all for some mysterious, greater purpose? Sometimes I feel the gaze of inhuman eyes upon me, and fragments of some past existence which I cannot wholly recall flash before my mind's eye. And time and time again I know precisely when I am to die in the fray, for always 'ere the fatal blow is struck, I see him... grim and noble astride his great winged steed, gleaming spear crackling in his grasp, beckoning me onwards to the next life... to ever more slaughter and carnage... Yes, a dour and brooding spirit he is, and in his burning eyes I see a great secret which I must discover, a powerful mystery I alone must solve. I cannot speculate as to what strange destiny the fates have written for me in the stars... but the gods have decreed that this is the path I must follow, and I am sure that my adventures are far from over...

Lyrics are pretty much useless except maybe historial stuff, but even then, those are pretty useless in learning about history other than piquing your interest towards the topics. I wonder how many people starting reading "Edda" after hearing Amon Amarth. :Smug:
Well, it was Finntroll that kindled my interest in Norse mythology... But at any rate I would agree that the vast majority of metal lyrics - indeed, lyrics in general - are unoriginal tripe. They don't matter to me entirely but they can make a good album even better or a bad album even worse.

Plenty of meaningful lyrics in the thrash and crossover genres in the late 80's.
Nuclear buildup, racism, family crisis, suicide, political corruption, Reaganomics, alcoholism, polution,depression. You name it.
That's part of the problem with retro thrash, everyone just remembers the sounds.
No one remembers the conflict.

And that would be?

Well that depends on the artist, but I'm sure most artists don't write utterly useless lyrics. The better artists use lyrics to enhance the understanding of the composition, or use the music to heighten the effectiveness of the lyrics, depending on the artist's prerogative.

Alright, flat out, many metal lyrics suck. Many do not though. I'm not going to post any that I think do-not-suck cause realy everything is open to opinion. I can't tell you what doesn't suck cause to every person there is his own. But in general it's about the connection you get with the lyrics. Whether for entertainment or emotional value.

opeth has good lyrics
abigail williams does too
and when i feel like raping someone
ill just read some cc lyrics

metal lyrics own, just because theres no set topic that they have to be,

emo lyrics have to be depressive.
punk lyrics have to be anarchyish or about getting wasted

metal lyrics can be about killing a cow, or they can be about dragon slaying
that is why metal lyrics are the best

Status
Not open for further replies.