Metal Presentation

DO IT

plz

Haha, uploading it here would be like throwing raw meat to starving hyenas; it would absolutely be ripped to shreds and I would rather avoid that criticism. I could upload my powerpoint show if you really are that interested though.

how dare people not agree with metal dogma!!!! opinions are for the unholy!!

Oh sweet someone else is going to start the "hey you can't say I'm wrong because it's my opinion man hurrr" argument. I will end it right now and point out to you that it is a fact that if you deny JP and / or IM, you are not worthy of life. I'm sorry, I didn't make the rules.

If I were working on a metal presentation (which isn't going to happen anytime soon considering the linear tendencies of my assignments), I'd probably focus on the diversity within the subgenres. It annoys me when people assume that all metal sounds like Slipknot, but I can't play some Stratovarius or Finntroll to show the difference.

I'll give you some general tips based on my experience with a similar topic.

The approach I took with my presentation was largely informational because I had to assume the audience knew next to nothing about Black Metal. I was right, so it worked out. The point is make sure you gear it specifically to the audience you have.

Also I would steer clear of any sort persuasive speech about why metal is the greatest or any other such lame arguments. You want the audience on your side and telling them there taste sucks would just disengage them from your topic.

When I presented on Black Metal I merely attempted to give them the basics on the genre (brief history, characteristics and ideology), I did not advocate any of the violent acts that were peripheral to the music. Even if you believe in what Varg says it would be wise to avoid promoting such controversial opinions to a largely Liberalized audience, not only for the sake of marks but for your perceived integrity from your peers.

Yeah, well I decided to play..

Death (Nile)
Black (Bathory)
Thrash (Slayer)
Doom (Electric Wizard)
Power (DragonForce)
Folk (Finntroll)
Viking (Amon Amarth)
Progressive (Dream Theater)
and then an Opeth song to show that even 1 band or song can be varied.

If your playing bathory for black, play something off "under the sign of the black mark" equimanthorn would be good, fucking creepy crazy as intro.

Oh sweet someone else is going to start the "hey you can't say I'm wrong because it's my opinion man hurrr" argument. I will end it right now and point out to you that it is a fact that if you deny JP and / or IM, you are not worthy of life. I'm sorry, I didn't make the rules.

:zombie: TONIGHT I DINE IN HELL

Yeah, well I decided to play..

Death (Nile)
Black (Bathory)
Thrash (Slayer)
Doom (Electric Wizard)
Power (DragonForce)
Folk (Finntroll)
Viking (Amon Amarth)
Progressive (Dream Theater)
and then an Opeth song to show that even 1 band or song can be varied.

better selections...

play a minute from each of...

Death (Vehemence - I Didn't Kill Her)
Black (Nargaroth - Possessed By Black Fucking Metal)
Power (Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder)
Folk (Mithotyn - Hearts Of Stone)
Viking (Thyrfing - The Voyager)

:lol: Kanwulf sure is a funny guy.

*Shrug* I love the riffs on that song, the production is such a good contrast example of BM to those other songs too. and I think it's likeable/catchy enough that it would actually be worth playing (cos how many people who don't like metal reconsider the virtue of metal having heard Burzum? lol)

I would recommend using both PowerPoint and CD player. You can have a song from each band from the birth of the genre till today and one from each sub-genre to give an idea of what it is.

I would also through some nu-metal bullshit on there and then change it to say some extreme black or death metal to give an idea of what mainstream people think metal is and what metal REALLY is.