Metal that has a WWII vibe/atmosphere

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Does anybody here know any bands/albums that have a World War 2 feel to them. I just picked up Void of Silence album "Human Antithesis" and whenever I give it a listen I feel like i'm in 1944 war stricken europe. I don't know if it's just me or it was deliberately intended to sound this way. Can anybody here recommend me some bands/albums that have a similiar sound or feel as this album?

Or for those of you who have played the game "Day of Defeat"... Any music that sounds like the 15 sec victory clip that plays after the Axis wins a map?

Thanks in advance.

Cryptkeeper said:
Waffen SS

Yea I figured their would be some neo-nazi bands with WW2 overtones in their music. Know of any other's who aren't overtly anti-semetic hate mongrels? (Not that there is anything wrong with that) :seinfeld voice:

Iced Earth wouldnt cut it, the majority of Glorius Burden besides possibly Red Baron puts out Civil War imagery. I'm looking more for Haunting doom that gives you the mood you're in a world war 2 ravaged wasteland. Or something that sounds neo-classical like the axis victory theme in Day of Defeat. (I wish I had a sound byte I can share, but I don't!)

Bound For Glory
Wolfnacht
Bolt Thrower (because of their war theme)
Laibach (though they are NOT a metal band)

You might want to check out Primordial, as the guy who did the vocals on that Void of Silence CD is the vocalist for that band. They play atmospheric folk metal.

Uhh, Batallion are an Aussie war-metal band... their latest CD is a concept album about WWI. From the sound clips I've heard, it sounds fucking killer... but it's only going to be available from Asphyxiate Recordings...

You will probably already know it, but in my opinion
Blood Fire Death by Bathory has to be mentioned.
It is not explicitly about second world war, but it has this apocalyptic, agressive and... lost postmodern feeling about it.

Though not the sonic presentation you're looking for, Angel Dust's "Enlighten the Darkness" is about a German WWII soldier and his point of view. It does describe despair fairly well in a couple tracks, but not necessarily in a "haunting" way. Good album though.

umm i would say Bal Saggoth definetly has a 'war'ish sound but not really wat your lookin for but its still war type and awseome.