metal...whats next

I think bands like Cellador and Dragonforce, who can play impossibly fast but can't write a decent song, will become more numerous.

grey metal?

I was thinking about Life metal.

Internally, I don't really know how much more metal can evolve, but then again that's probably what some people thought in the late 70s and 80s before what we know today was developed. Externally, metal has evolved quite a bit. And by externally I mean metal bands have assimilated the sounds and styles of other genres into their music. Jazz, folk, goth/death rock, blues, classic rock, electronica, industrial, polka, classical, and all that. There aren't too many Avant-Garde metal bands that are well known, and though that's a broad category, it's a style I'd like to hear more of. Reminds me that I have a Ved Buens Ende cd that I only listened to once.

this thread is very interesting.

I agree with genres mixing around in a giant melting pot until we get some new form. some crazy ass black/power/reggae/folk/drum n bass/add whatever the fuck you want genre.

why isn't there white metal?

Well lately the newest trends with "rock" itself has been indie rock and post rock. Both of those genres have been uprising with great bands these past few years and great albums to. Even as a metalhead myself I love both indie rock and post rock. As for metal itself I think there's going to be a lot of viking metal in the future along with metal that is less heavier but more technical.

CoB is terrible. Though I'll admit, I'll listen to one song off Follow the Reaper about once every three of four months. But to call them a metal influence... meh...

Cheesecore
Let me guess- it'll originate in Wisconsin, right?

why isn't there white metal?
You've never heard of NSBM? Rahowa? Battlecry?

We're currently seeing alternative music and metal combined in the form of Coheed And Cambria- OK, I know a lot of people don't like them, but I'm sure more alternative metal bands will emerge. Personally, I'm guessing we'll be seeing metal mixed with country/western, kinda like Toby Keith meets Judas Priest or Alabama meets Alice Cooper, and possibly reggae metal- like Bob Marley meets Black Sabbath. Maybe we'll even see Islamic metal- with pro-Islamic lyrics, like we see Christian metal, and maybe even some metal with mariachi music mixed in. Or polka metal- should come in handy at Oktoberfest. The range of music styles metal can be mixed with or instruments that can be added is only limited by one's imagination. Just as long as some genius doesn't come out with "emo metal".

The closest thing to country metal that I've heard is track 6 off of Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung. That is one of the most unique and incredible songs I've ever heard.
One might also consider Rebel Meets Rebel, Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul's band project with David Allan Coe, to fit into that category.

Great thread guys. I've been mulling this over for months now. As an aside, this is exactly why I love this forum as much as I do already, and not having been here but maybe a week at that!

I don't rightly recall why, but at some point a few months back something set me to thinking about the direction in which metal can go from where it now stands. I think a lot of us, myself included, have been sitting around with our thumbs up our asses waiting for the next black metal to arrive, but I need to clarify this before going any further. I am of course not referring to a sudden, extreme progression/elaboration on black metal, but moreso to a scene that suddenly explodes from some exotic, far-off country whose representative bands play a style of metal only vaguely drawing off of its influences, and furthermore one that has never been heard before. Unfortunately, I tend to doubt that that will ever happen again, though I suppose you never know. However, in the last month or so, it's become increasingly apparent that metal is evolving and growing right under our noses. While some genres (thrash and power metal, to be specific) seem to have almost completely run their courses, I feel that death/grind (they're practically the same genre these days, except for the bands who deliberately sound like a "good-ol'-days" throwback), black, and doom still have not only a lot left to say, but also a lot of different directions in which to grow. Then there's this whole folk metal thing, of which I personally am a huge fan, and which seems to have only recently begun to come into its own and garner interest and respect from the metal population as a whole. There's also Mastodon and bands of their ilk, the genre they seem to have almost single-handedly created looking to me to be the dominant trend in metal at least for the next year or two. Whether or not that's a good or a bad thing is, of course, entirely up to the listener. I also tend to agree with LadyValerie not only about the nearly untapped potential of avantgard metal styles, but also about the fact that none of us can truly and accurately predict where the hell metal will go during the next five to ten years. This much beloved genre of ours is full of so many surprises and hidden, as yet unexplored territory that anything could happen. Here's to metal, surely one of the primary reasons we all decide to get out of bed in the morning/afternoon.

I'll say one thing though: I'm sure glad that everybody finally seems to be realizing that Razorback Records is not the next seat of the metal godhead. While I did (and still do) enjoy some of their earliest releases, that shtick wore thin pretty damn quick, and now nearly everything that comes out on that label sounds exactly like what came before it and more than likely what will come after, although there have been some notable exceptions (Gigantic Brain definitely caused several nocturnal emissions on my part.)

Finally, if anybody has any tips on economy of words, I would appreciate it if you would kindly point me in the right direction.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the ambient, sometimes-doom metal (I really don't know what else to call it) of bands like Pelican and Sunn O))), and I suppose Jesu as well. Everybody and their fucking mothers have been jumping on that.

The closest thing to country metal that I've heard is track 6 off of Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung. That is one of the most unique and incredible songs I've ever heard.

I'll have to check that song out as I am a huge Tim McGraw, Tracy Lawrence, and George Strait fan. What's it called?