Mikael and Bloodbath

musicnerd

Oct 19, 2004
Knowing that Mikael is not satanic/anti-christian....what's up with the new bloodbath album? Its vehemently anti-christian. Is this supposed to be just tongue-in-cheek death mental drivel...or is this outright hatred? Without getting into a religious discussion, the lyrics to mock the cross are just plain mean. What do the rest of you think?

You would rather have a death-metal album about love ?

The music is dark.The lyrics must go along with the concept.

Yeah u are right Musicnerd ! It's seems like we are looking at Mike from another perspective or sth lol ! I respect his ideas tho.
I like the album, but not as much as the previous ones, especially the EP it's fuckign awesome

Yeah u are right Musicnerd ! It's seems like we are looking at Mike from another perspective or sth lol ! I respect his ideas tho.
I like the album, but not as much as the previous ones, especially the EP it's fuckign awesome

I think Bloodbath is just a project for him and the other guys to satisfy their death metal "urges," the lyrics are a part of that. Besides, I don't think he writes the lyrics for Bloodbath.

who cares? i love the album
mocking christianity is pretty much like singing about sawing someone in two and then jizzing on the remains, but i like it better

Well, I was about to say that it bothered me as well, but then again that would make me a hypocrite because I love more than a couple of death metal albums with satanic lyrics. I try to ignore them. And listen to a healthy dose of Extol, Living Sacrifice, etc. to make up for it.

Seriously though, hasn't the anti-Christian thing been done to death? Why aren't there any vehemently anti-ISLAM bands, or anti-hindi bands, with song titles like:

"Sodomizing the Hellbound Corpse of Mohammed"

or:

"Disembowling the Sacred Cow"

Are Christians just an easier target because we're more likely to 'shrug off' attacks on our faith? Or do we just have a better sense of humor?

Perhaps it has to do with what religions the members of death metal bands are exposed to. They write about a religion they can "relate" to I guess...like, someone in Sweden wouldn't write lyrics that talk shit about Brigham Young or something, because they can't relate to Mormonism since it's so dissociated from their culture (some assumptions here of course, I would imagine Mormonism isn't a very big part of Swedish culture lol). Though I think if you look hard enough, you could find "anti-(insert religion)" bands of any variety.

would like to add that I'm not mormon..just using it as an example.

I certainly like lyrics about dismembering someone better. Defaming a certain group of people is a shitty topic, don't you think? "Satanic" lyrics can be good and interesting but the lyrics of "The Fathomless Mastery" are rather shallow, I have to admit. (Good album though and a great perfomance by Mikeal.)

^^ well put ...

Stop whining. It's Death Metal, deal with it. It's an amazing album, darker and more aggresive. If you don't like these things, then don't listen to Death Metal.

it doesnt bother me. i am christian and u just have to realize that bands dissing christianity is pretty much like a fashion statement. its all about the visuals and the look. besides tr00 satanists of course.

and at the same time, some of my favorite music is made by bands who are anti-christian. as a christian, i dont limit myself as to what i will listen to in terms of what the band believes in. i see music as art, doesnt matter who is creating it.

it doesnt bother me. i am christian and u just have to realize that bands dissing christianity is pretty much like a fashion statement. its all about the visuals and the look. besides tr00 satanists of course.

and at the same time, some of my favorite music is made by bands who are anti-christian. as a christian, i dont limit myself as to what i will listen to in terms of what the band believes in. i see music as art, doesnt matter who is creating it.

I really hate it when you christians start pretending that being anti-christian is some childish gimmick! For many anti-religious atheists, it is actually a very intellectual and well constructed opinion. I'm highly educated, I know what I'm talking about, I have a well developed opinion with many arguments, and I am very much anti religion, specifically anti christianity (one of the main reasons because that is what I grew up in).

OK, the lyrics in metal can be "childish" in some respect, but it is an expression of a deep resentment of the many horrors christianity has brought us. You don't experience it in that way, but many do, for very good reasons.

And for Bloodbath, they honor the bands they cherish in the music and lyrics. I didn't hear anyone complain about childishness when they painted themselves bloodcovered at Wacken! ....

Christians ....:Smug:

I really hate it when you christians start pretending that being anti-christian is some childish gimmick! For many anti-religious atheists, it is actually a very intellectual and well constructed opinion. I'm highly educated, I know what I'm talking about, I have a well developed opinion with many arguments, and I am very much anti religion, specifically anti christianity (one of the main reasons because that is what I grew up in).

OK, the lyrics in metal can be "childish" in some respect, but it is an expression of a deep resentment of the many horrors christianity has brought us. You don't experience it in that way, but many do, for very good reasons.

And for Bloodbath, they honor the bands they cherish in the music and lyrics. I didn't hear anyone complain about childishness when they painted themselves bloodcovered at Wacken! ....

Christians ....:Smug:

Well, I don't think Lothlorien was bashing atheism ITSELF as a childish gimmick, just the number of bands that quite obviously use anti-christian sentiments as a gimmick. Some artists clearly take it very seriously and others not so much. Just like some "Christian" bands use Jesus as a gimmick, while others are more genuine.

And sadly, yes, many horrors have been caused by professing Christians. As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ but not your Christians."

Which reminds me of my favorite vehemently anti-Buddhism song, "I Attain Nirvana Whilst Masturbating on the Belly of Buddha After Having Accumulated as Many Material Possessions as Possible".

edit: and yes, I know Ghandi was Hindi, but I'd already covered them with the sacred cow bit....

Well, I was about to say that it bothered me as well, but then again that would make me a hypocrite because I love more than a couple of death metal albums with satanic lyrics. I try to ignore them. And listen to a healthy dose of Extol, Living Sacrifice, etc. to make up for it.

Seriously though, hasn't the anti-Christian thing been done to death? Why aren't there any vehemently anti-ISLAM bands, or anti-hindi bands, with song titles like:

"Sodomizing the Hellbound Corpse of Mohammed"

or:

"Disembowling the Sacred Cow"

Are Christians just an easier target because we're more likely to 'shrug off' attacks on our faith? Or do we just have a better sense of humor?

No, but most metal comes from countries where christianity has been the major religion. Metal is very much about rebellion. Religion is the opposite to that. It's dogma.

Yeah as distasteful as Mock the Cross is, that riff is funky as hell... I'm pretty much in the same vein as Lothlorien - I'm a christian but listen to plenty of stuff that is strongly anti-christian. Hell, I saw Gorgoroth at Wacken (thought they were boring as fuck though) and didn't really mind.

I do believe certain members of Bloodbath actually -do- have something against Christianity, especially Blakkheim. But then again, as everyone else has pointed out, Bloodbath play Death Metal. Anyhow, I'd say if you don't like the lyrics and can't deal with them, just don't listen to it. If you can deal with them, good for you.