Mikael and Bloodbath

Religions come and go by. It's irrelevant wether you belive in christianity or islam and so forth. We all belive in something, I for instance in science and so forth. I don't belive that Still Life would be that anti-christian or anti-religous, it's more about being opposed to the conservative values of the majority back in Still Life's "days."

The Poona of Peshwa said:
Unrelenting Christ-hatred is the cream in the coffee of death metal for me. It makes a good song that much better.
All religions are versions of the same untruth. They're a product of our species' infancy and we will ALL BE BETTER OFF WHEN IT IS GONE. Christianity is an appealing target 'cause it's the one a lot of us were brought up with.
MOCK THE CROSS-UH!

What kind of pussy-ass death metal fan drinks their coffee with cream in it?

I rarely pay attention to lyrics. But the vocals are pretty legible in TFM for a change, and I do have to admit to being like, "Holy shit, that's kind of over the top."

I often wonder why this genre of metal is so stuck in a rut, thematically. It's kind of a one trick pony. It is, after all, possible to enjoy the music of dm and to dislike the message. I'm proof of that. I'm not really what I'd call a christian (probably best described as agnostic these days), but I am sometimes disturbed by dm lyrics as a member of the human race. I understand that christianity has committed atrocities in the name of god, but I don't think retaliatory atrocities are the answer.

There are plenty of other topics out there that are serious and could mesh with dm lyrics. Philosophy is the go to, of course (which often winds its way back to religion) and science (a la Vintersorg, I guess...not dm, of course). I started a thread some time ago about whether metal's lyrics need be brutal, thinking of my own children. For me, the question of whether or not I'm okay with dm lyrics and such came from the fact that I don't want my daughters to hear them.

I know that positive, life-affirming death metal would be a contradiction in terms, but if it existed and was good, I'd prefer to listen to it over violent, hate-filled, negative music, the music being equal.

All this talk has made me want to create my own Death Metal band, and we WILL only sing about bunnies and chocolate!

you miss one point: Jesus never existed .... the entire thing is a construction. argh, i hate how people pretend they know things, when the very things they say shows that they haven't really studied anything about it (now is the point where you say you do, and i don't care because it's clear you didn't).

music talk ... let's indeed keep it to that again ... there are a couple of these threads already, and everytime you christians say the same stupid things. keep it to the music on this forum thus.

yeah I heard this hting before? but dunno what reasons that made u believe in this.can u explain ur theory for me please? :rofl: send me a PM.thx man

This is too ridiculous for words. Bloodbath must be the first death metal band ever who's own fans are complaining about lack of respect for christianity! ...

Maybe people have high expectations of Mikael which is good.

Also asking for respect for an idea (especially a fragile one like this) is NOT ridiculous.

Unrelenting Christ-hatred is the cream in the coffee of death metal for me. It makes a good song that much better.
All religions are versions of the same untruth. They're a product of our species' infancy and we will ALL BE BETTER OFF WHEN IT IS GONE. Christianity is an appealing target 'cause it's the one a lot of us were brought up with.
MOCK THE CROSS-UH!

holy shit. welcome back

i wouldn't complain about a death metal band if they didn't complain about me, but i guess its odd how karma works these days

ok then, so don't complain muslims showing no respect anymore for the US or christians (even though most still do) because christianity has mocked islam very hardly for over 1000 years.

it's fucking death metal ... how many times does this need to be repeated?

Getting your panties in a bunch over religion = fail

Religion = just a form of mass-control, exploiting people's weaknesses and fear of the unknown by offering ambiguous bullshit.

Things in life and death are like they are, regardless of what you believe in. Sure there are a lot of questions of existence we would like to know the answer to, but if we ever get any answers, I'm pretty sure they'll be applicable to all of human-kind (or even wider) since we're all the same.

[/philosophybullshit]

Oh, and as for DM lyrics..."Death" as a word has no exclusivity to any religion whatsoever (alas, if you want to take it literally from the name). I like lyrics to be more about mortality and existence and shit in general rather than poking directly at things, no matter how serious or not they are. Find-your-own-meaning FTW (whatever that means lol).

If "skinheads" in america can have their own racist labels, and music (often hardcore) than i think we of little faith can have our death metal just the way it is thank you.

Well, I was about to say that it bothered me as well, but then again that would make me a hypocrite because I love more than a couple of death metal albums with satanic lyrics. I try to ignore them. And listen to a healthy dose of Extol, Living Sacrifice, etc. to make up for it.

Seriously though, hasn't the anti-Christian thing been done to death? Why aren't there any vehemently anti-ISLAM bands, or anti-hindi bands, with song titles like:

"Sodomizing the Hellbound Corpse of Mohammed"

or:

"Disembowling the Sacred Cow"

Are Christians just an easier target because we're more likely to 'shrug off' attacks on our faith? Or do we just have a better sense of humor?
There ARE islam black metal band.

What kind of pussy-ass death metal fan drinks their coffee with cream in it?

I almost got into a fight over cream today. I got a large coffee from the Tim Horton's on campus, and the lady at the counter forgot my cream. So as I was walking I passed a soup joint and asked the guy there if he could spare a cream. Well the guy says no, I have to buy something. So my buddy I was with starts beaking off at the guy, and things got pretty heated. Nothing came of it though.

True story.

I know that positive, life-affirming death metal would be a contradiction in terms, but if it existed and was good, I'd prefer to listen to it over violent, hate-filled, negative music, the music being equal.

Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila/Mabool

If you don't have anything against a little oriental vibes, those are killer albums. The first being the most DM, the last being more "crazy epic ass progressive metal".

i'm with you lothlorien. i'm surpised at some of the prejudices here. There is a lot of hyporcrisy in this thread, as there is arrogance, so let's just keep our thoughts to ourselves, unless you have something worth saying.

Fact: Mikael has said that he as an atheist, but not anti-Christian; whilst some Bloodbath lyrics seem to contradict this statement, DM is typified by such lyrics, and I'm sure the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek. If not, then i may have to revise Mikael's 'legendary' status.

i'm with you lothlorien. i'm surpised at some of the prejudices here. There is a lot of hyporcrisy in this thread, as there is arrogance, so let's just keep our thoughts to ourselves, unless you have something worth saying.

Fact: Mikael has said that he as an atheist, but not anti-Christian; whilst some Bloodbath lyrics seem to contradict this statement, DM is typified by such lyrics, and I'm sure the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek. If not, then i may have to revise Mikael's 'legendary' status.

thank you.