Mikael Help me out here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Led Opeth said:
i think it means you dont have a gf....j/k lol

Hehe, no offense taken ... been with my girl almost 3 years. She digs Opeth too, she just doesn't hang around here because of guys like schenka. She also definitely just made fun of how long my post was. :lol:

FreakAccident said:
Uh ... this is an Opeth forum, no? Isn't this where people gather to talk about the band Opeth? By default, aren't we all assuming that other people are interested in what we have to say about the band Opeth? Isn't almost every thread in this forum about the band Opeth? Doesn't just about every post contain someone's opinion?

I'm new to the forum, I read a thread that I found interesting, and I posted my thoughts on it. I had a lot to say, and some free time (must mean I have no life, right?). Doesn't make me self-absorbed, doesn't necessarily mean I give a shit what you think, or whether or not you think I should care what anyone else thinks. As far as overanalysis goes, my post was full of general statements and cited all of 2 brief passages of music in an attempt to sum up a band's entire 10+-year-long career. You want to see some overanalysis, go check out a Tool forum.

Most people on this board are here because they feel passionately one way or another about the band Opeth (eg, to some people who actually give a fuck about good music, Opeth is more than "just a band"). If you don't want to read what we have to say, whether it's 2 words or 5 paragraphs, don't read it. Simple fucking solution.

EDIT: Oops, NineFeet beat me to the punch. Still, you should fuck the fuck off.

Opeth forum...not kiss ass, boot sucker forum...go frolic in the forest, pansies...I'm sure your heros will meet you there to tell you personally how pleased they are with you.

Fuck off? Now that's not very intellectual...tisk, tisk.

schenkadere said:
Opeth forum...not kiss ass, boot sucker forum...go frolic in the forest, pansies...I'm sure your heros will meet you there to tell you personally how pleased they are with you.

Nope, I said fuck the fucking fuck off.

"Master Shredder" ... a becoming title for a 40-year-old who has failed to make his only interest, "shredding", a career ... and who has probably never seen a real live vagina. :lol: Sorry - I don't waste my intellect on failures.

schenkadere said:

Calling people pansies and ass-kissers whenever they say something positive or intelligent about Opeth isn't very intellectual either.

FreakAccident said:
Hehe, no offense taken ... been with my girl almost 3 years. She digs Opeth too, she just doesn't hang around here because of guys like schenka. She also definitely just made fun of how long my post was. :lol:
same here, 3 years in april...big opeth fan

schenkadere said:

congrats, you've just earned a place on my ignore list, special retards section seating

FreakAccident said:
Nope, I said fuck the fucking fuck off.

"Master Shredder" ... a becoming title for a 40-year-old who has failed to make his only interest, "shredding", a career ... and who has probably never seen a real live vagina. :lol: Sorry - I don't waste my intellect on failures.

I'll shred the living snot out of any of you little shites busy with your "what pick ups do Opeth use" threads.

I'll challenge any of you Opeth geeks.

A little presumptuous to claim someone is a failure when you have no idea about what they do or anything about their lives at all. That's the least intellectual statement yet...Opeth would be very disappointed.:cry:

Take a little ribbing...take a step back and read some of this stuff...it gets a little odd.

poppacherry86 said:
i know theres a lot of haters of Ghost Reveries and i'll probably get a lot of heat from the "hardcore fans" who wished Opeth brought back the "evil" and "brutality" on this album.
Ghost Reveries is actually the most evil Opeth album.

schenkadere said:
I'll shred the living snot out of any of you little shites busy with your "what pick ups do Opeth use" threads.

Mr. Intellectual,

Can I hear some of your music? I'd imagine that by the age of 40 you must have something recorded. Please post something for all of us, so we know you're not just another arrogant douchebag guitarist with nothing to support his delusions of grandeur. Lemme tell ya, you sound REALLY mature for your age, buddy.

I'm sorry. I have trouble believing a 40-year-old with 1,700 posts in internet forums can have found enough time to become truly musically proficient. It seems more interesting to you to get involved in Internet pussy fights with people half your age. I'll tell you what, if by the age of 40, I think I have anything whatsoever to prove to kids in an internet forum, I will know I have failed at life, and I will stick my head in an oven.

Mr. Intellectual, thank you for giving me a laugh today. I at least owe you that. Thank you.

- Opeth Geek

FreakAccident said:
The thing I can relate to that most people use to glorify the first 2 albums is the "mood" factor. In spite of the shitty production, some amazing, transcendental atmospheric moments were achieved ... like the gradual crescendo in The Night and the Silent Water, for example.

The thing is, for me, I enjoy those moments immensely, and there really are no bad riffs or ideas on either album... I just think the actual songwriting itself was lacking. Some people like that - the lack of regard for song structure and instead concentrating on transitions and how well the pieces actually fit together, even if as a song it's just a long string of Riff A going to Riff B going to Riff C etc. etc. But for me, it interferes with my enjoyment of those albums ... to get to those moments I love, I have to sit through a song that to my ears sounds thrown together, and that sounds long just for the sake of being long (Black Rose Immortal has some amazing moments, but it is very hard for me to sit through all 20 minutes ... and this is coming from a fan of classical music, so it's definitely not an attention span issue). The riffs, ideas, and melodies in and of themselves are fine, it's just the way they were presented ...

The point of this post is - It seems like most Opeth fans are either on one side or the other - you either love the first 2 albums and think they're more TR00 than what came after and think Morningrise is their epochal masterpiece, OR, you didn't jump on board until D&D or GR and can't understand what the big deal is about the early shit.

My first Opeth album was actually MAYH, which could explain why I'm somewhere in the middle. I dig the old style for what was great about it, but I am still amazed by how the band continues to grow - in songwriting, musicianship, dynamics, the progressive aspects - and most of all, and this is why GR resonates so much with me, in terms of sheer emotion. I think GR is a HUGE, HUGE step in a better direction for the band, probably the best transition since the one from MAYH to Still Life. I think the talk about selling out and waaah they made a video they don't care about being tr00 anymore waaaaaaaah, is bullshit. Opeth are indeed becoming more popular, but maybe, just MAYBE, could that be because the music is actually getting better? Nah, couldn't be the music. It's because they signed to RR. :rolleyes:

There's a school of metalheads and music fans in general that seem to believe that when something starts pulling in more fans, it must be losing substance and integrity ... I can think of no better argument against this than GR. It is a brilliant album. The songwriting is better. The musicianship is tighter. The rhythmic ideas are more interesting. The melodies are more singable and memorable, even the growls (oooooh, that must be a bad thing! memorable = pop music!) The lyrics are more compelling. The keyboards are seamlessly integrated into a sound that took years to develop - not an easy feat. And IMHO, the old-school-Opeth atmosphere still pops up from time to time (the section with the harmonics in Harlequin forest comes to mind).

Just my .02, flame away if you must...

Best post on this forum in a while. And from someone with 18 posts no less! (not that i ever take that into consideration)

ANd I refuse to believe that "shredder" guy is 40 years old. I can't fathom anyone being so immature on that age, even on the internet.

FreakAccident said:
The thing I can relate to that most people use to glorify the first 2 albums is the "mood" factor. In spite of the shitty production, some amazing, transcendental atmospheric moments were achieved ... like the gradual crescendo in The Night and the Silent Water, for example.

The thing is, for me, I enjoy those moments immensely, and there really are no bad riffs or ideas on either album... I just think the actual songwriting itself was lacking. Some people like that - the lack of regard for song structure and instead concentrating on transitions and how well the pieces actually fit together, even if as a song it's just a long string of Riff A going to Riff B going to Riff C etc. etc. But for me, it interferes with my enjoyment of those albums ... to get to those moments I love, I have to sit through a song that to my ears sounds thrown together, and that sounds long just for the sake of being long (Black Rose Immortal has some amazing moments, but it is very hard for me to sit through all 20 minutes ... and this is coming from a fan of classical music, so it's definitely not an attention span issue). The riffs, ideas, and melodies in and of themselves are fine, it's just the way they were presented ...

The point of this post is - It seems like most Opeth fans are either on one side or the other - you either love the first 2 albums and think they're more TR00 than what came after and think Morningrise is their epochal masterpiece, OR, you didn't jump on board until D&D or GR and can't understand what the big deal is about the early shit.

My first Opeth album was actually MAYH, which could explain why I'm somewhere in the middle. I dig the old style for what was great about it, but I am still amazed by how the band continues to grow - in songwriting, musicianship, dynamics, the progressive aspects - and most of all, and this is why GR resonates so much with me, in terms of sheer emotion. I think GR is a HUGE, HUGE step in a better direction for the band, probably the best transition since the one from MAYH to Still Life. I think the talk about selling out and waaah they made a video they don't care about being tr00 anymore waaaaaaaah, is bullshit. Opeth are indeed becoming more popular, but maybe, just MAYBE, could that be because the music is actually getting better? Nah, couldn't be the music. It's because they signed to RR. :rolleyes:

There's a school of metalheads and music fans in general that seem to believe that when something starts pulling in more fans, it must be losing substance and integrity ... I can think of no better argument against this than GR. It is a brilliant album. The songwriting is better. The musicianship is tighter. The rhythmic ideas are more interesting. The melodies are more singable and memorable, even the growls (oooooh, that must be a bad thing! memorable = pop music!) The lyrics are more compelling. The keyboards are seamlessly integrated into a sound that took years to develop - not an easy feat. And IMHO, the old-school-Opeth atmosphere still pops up from time to time (the section with the harmonics in Harlequin forest comes to mind).

Just my .02, flame away if you must...
/Truth

FreakAccident said:
Mr. Intellectual,

Can I hear some of your music? I'd imagine that by the age of 40 you must have something recorded. Please post something for all of us, so we know you're not just another arrogant douchebag guitarist with nothing to support his delusions of grandeur. Lemme tell ya, you sound REALLY mature for your age, buddy.

I'm sorry. I have trouble believing a 40-year-old with 1,700 posts in internet forums can have found enough time to become truly musically proficient. It seems more interesting to you to get involved in Internet pussy fights with people half your age. I'll tell you what, if by the age of 40, I think I have anything whatsoever to prove to kids in an internet forum, I will know I have failed at life, and I will stick my head in an oven.

Mr. Intellectual, thank you for giving me a laugh today. I at least owe you that. Thank you.

- Opeth Geek

Nice post. An intelligent noob on the Opeth forums? Can it really be true?

That said, GR does contain great songwriting - probably much better than on previous albums too. But that doesn't mean everyone has to like it. If it did, then everyone would be listening to the same thing. Opeth's ideals have changed, and so have their ways of expressing them. But those two things are different, and that's where the original poster gets confused. Just like in blues music, I can appreciate the ideas and execution of the music, the moods and rhythms; but I simply don't like those ideas. I disagree with them.

~FreakAccident:
Well expressed, but I truely disagree with you on a lot of levels (and agree on some others at the same time).

Something being more memorable or catchy is not my problem with Opeth's new album. Its the fact that making it catchy was apparently one of the aims for this album to achieve during its writing. Ghost Reveries is a much more accessible album to the masses.. The Grand Conjuration being the captain of the team leading them all in what this album was put out for (hence the promotional video).

Don't get me wrong.. I like this album. There are some really good elements if you dig deep, like Reverie/Harlequin Forest and most parts of Baying of the Hounds, but the overall sound of this album lacks in consistancy (which can be found in abundance in Still Life and Blackwater Park or any of the earlier albums). The gradient 'flow' of sound was missing, being replaced with abrupt (and sometimes un-needed) transitions. The result seems more a bunch of tracks than a complete package because of that. I don't entirely blame the band for what this album sounds like to some, because this was foreseen by many even before the album was released.. right after the band signed with Roadrunner Records. It was said that they make the artists change it to a much more accessible sound. It was also said that the pressure probably won't affect Opeth, but it unfortunately proved otherwise.

Ghost Reveries is my least favourite album, although I've listened to it more than a lot of what I own.. it simply fails to interest me as much as the other material by Opeth.

I'm anticipating someone replying to Aarohi with "but GR was written BEFORE signing to RR", which I believe is nonsense, but anyhow: Shouldn't the goal of every artist be to make his work be as accessible as possible, without having compromising anything else? What reason is there to obscure its meaning when it is possible to be made clearer? So no, I don't see anything wrong with Opeth aiming to make GR accessible in itself - although I do have other reservations, which I stated in part above.

schenkadere said:

A little presumptuous to claim someone is a failure when you have no idea about what they do or anything about their lives at all. That's the least intellectual statement yet...Opeth would be very disappointed.:cry:
So now you're talking about yourself? but nobody cares because it's the fucking Opeth forum.

You are retarded. Please leave.

hibernal_dream said:
... Shouldn't the goal of every artist be to make his work be as accessible as possible, without having compromising anything else? What reason is there to obscure its meaning when it is possible to be made clearer?

The aim behind creation of a piece of art is not to attract viewers and admirers. If it were, every painting would be a nude potrait.. because that would attract more people than say, a scenary. Making it more accessible to people is not the 'aim' behind a good piece of art. When a piece results in accessibility as a bi-product of it having achieved the goals set out initially combined with hard-work and genius, it results in a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.