Mikael's attack on KsE

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is it ok for mike to put down an entire genre...but when i put down individual bands, im just the troll of the forum? he didnt give any concrete evidence for his opinions really, just implied they were too pretty and rehashing the swedish sound. my remarks and observations are no more obscene or irrational....often more thought out than THAT actually. so lets hear it you bunch of fanboy queers...

Wow, just saw the Blabbermouth thing and it really escalated out of control there. All I can say is that the interview has mistakes. For one I didn't compare KE to Priest when I was growing up as...well, they weren't around then. Blabber is also out for drama taking that line as the headlining quote.
I hope people are smart enough to understand that there are US bands that I completely adore...like Nevermore and Tool. I was only talking about the so called metalcore or nu metal scene and it looks as if I was bashing the whole of the US metal scene.

We're jealous? OK, whatever...
Seems a lot of people won't allow me to have or express my taste in music anymore, so I guess I'll have to become a fan of whatever's selling to prove I'm not jealous.

And I've met the guys in KE once and they seemed like nice dudes (not that pretty either), I'd never publically bash a band that didn't deserve it. And is it an attack, Oinkness or whatever the fuck your name is, by saying Priest and Maiden mean more to me than KE?

All of you gotta understand that out of the zillion interviews I do, some will take the so called "good stuff" and put it forward and make me seem like a prick.

Cheers guys
Mike

NineFeetUnderground said:
why is it ok for mike to put down an entire genre...but when i put down individual bands, im just the troll of the forum? he didnt give any concrete evidence for his opinions really, just implied they were too pretty and rehashing the swedish sound. my remarks and observations are no more obscene or irrational....often more thought out than THAT actually. so lets hear it you bunch of fanboy queers...
actually i think most people with any sense take you seriously...who cares about the "fanboy queers"

i assume noone is going to think of himself or herself as a "fanboy queer". and with the knowledge we have of each other in the forum i doubt anyone is really in a position to describe others in such a manner either.
usually there are a couple useful remarks about music in a thread and a whole lot of bashing and flaming that is not particularly pleasant to read. i am getting a little disappointed at times. i wonder whether other people are all pleased with this situation.

Oinkness said:
This comes as a surprise. Mikael attacking a very talented band just because they're American? One innovator attacking another. It's just ignorant. It's almost like Mikael attacking a younger, faster and more refined version of themselves. Can you really blame the band for the massive breakout of fans? Is this not surprisingly similar to Opeth's move to Roadrunner? Same situation.

Mikael thinks KsE is manufactured, like a boyband with guitars... now that is the most ignorant statement I've ever heard from Mike. All that comedy routine in the live setting must be getting to his head.

And yeah, we all know Killswitch Engage is the prettiest group out there. (see image below)

kse_adamd.jpg

I love Opeth and the gang, but Mike's statements lately are just arrogant as fuck.

And wow, KsE is such a huge band, they went from practicing in their guitarist's bedroom to their mom's basement.

It's painful to see Opeth evolve in this direction, a direction I honestly never thought they would go down. And against a fellow label group, show some decency guys. Everyone was pissed about Opeth signing to Roadrunner, think how shameful it would be for them to get kicked off the label for disrespectful conduct.

P.S... Opeth, never be pretty? I beg to differ.
This pic gives me half a roll of quarters in my tighty whities.
8736584.jpg

Go Opeth! Spread the hate. :erk:

No, he attacks them cause they fucking suck and lack any sort of origionality and have a fan base of 16 year old boys in girls pants. That's why he attacked them.

People do this kind of stuff on the net cause it's easy to get away with, if you flamed people in public for their music tastes you'd end up with a foot in the sphincter. It's also easier to ignore these kinds of comments on forums and such and I agree that there are a few useful remarks about music on some threads.

Killsiwtch don't really do much for me, but I'm sure there are many people who have the same emotional attachment to them as Opeth fans have and can relate too, so yeh wateva floats one's boat.

wwallinga said:
Dumbest statement?? Hello? Hair and glam was on its way out regardless of grunge coming along. It was a fad, just like Britney Spears (where has she been? Oh, right, her 15 minutes are over).

When I was 14 I saw Megadeth(RIP), Slayer(SITA) and Anthrax(POT) on the summer Monster's of Rock tour. I will never see another show like this as long as I live. Now, my only choices are Opeth plus 1 or 2 mediocre opening bands or a festival with 85 bands where 5 are actually pretty good and the other 80 are carbon copies of the back of my ass.

If it wasn't for Opeth, I'd probably be listening to nothing but AM radio. And I respect this board for getting me into bands like Porcupine Tree and Katatonia, but I will not blind myself to the fact that what passes for music in general and for metal specifically during my lifetime has gotten worse and worse to the point of almost being unrecognizable.

Opeth is one of the few exceptions.
Two words for you, my friend.

BLACK. METAL.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
I'll not get into the other forms of metalcore, but for the kse-style, the best way to go about it is described best by its other name...gothencore....basically melo-death with hardcore breakdowns. Grunts/growls are usually replaced with more outright screaming, but not always...and generally the post-hardcore sing/scream element also plays a role.
Have you heard the albums I mentioned? Heartwork pre-dates the significant melodeath albums from Sweden, and Carcass members went on to form Arch Enemy. The vocal style you described is not unlike Meshuggah, and the production is very much influenced by these albums, along with the palm-muted guitar and syncopated bass drum rhythmic patterns found in metalcore.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
We're jealous? OK, whatever...
Seems a lot of people won't allow me to have or express my taste in music anymore, so I guess I'll have to become a fan of whatever's selling to prove I'm not jealous.

That's the way it goes... apparently as more people become aware of your presence you're no longer allowed to say what you might not like much, even if directly asked. People did the same thing when that guy who looks like Avril Lavigne from Children Of Bodom said something about John Petrucci. He wasn't even that harsh, and people were flipping out. Who cares? Alexi writes mediocre music. Lucky for me i am a nobody so i can say that. But you, mr. Akerfeldt, you are only allowed to love Children Of Bodom.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
All I can say is that the interview has mistakes.

anyone who believes what they read on Blabbermouth needs their heads read.

GRAIN OF SALT PEOPLE

especialy you high-strung pedantic australians...

:loco:

bring on Auckland on Saturday night - I couldn't give a fat rat's who Mikael thinks are good and bad bands (though i respect his and everyone elses right to an opinion) - i just want to see band I think are PRETTY FUCKING GREAT in concert!

:headbang:

Hubster said:
Pethical said:
FUCK YES! Respect for liking australian bands from the other side of the world. they need more recognition. may i recommend:
ne obliviscaris
pathogen
lord
praetorian
stone wings
mournful congregation
abyssic hate
the furor
vanishing point
voyager

and a million others.
You can add The Amenta and Mortal Sin to that list Peth!

+ the best australian band easily --> Alchemist

I find the thing about Opeth not having any emotion on Ghost Reveries pretty fucking stupid.... Isolation Years is one of the most emotional Opeth songs IMO....

NineFeetUnderground said:

maybe he is putting down a genre that people agree with more than the bands or genres you put down...that and his opinion of music just seems to matter to people a little bit more than yours, i dont know why you are so suprised...were not on the ninefeetunderground forum.. (oh shit, fanboy comment) -1 for me

lol this is just stupid, why can't a person share their opinion without getting insulted by morons all over the place. its not like mike was being racist or anything he was talking about music and his opinions on one band... can't a guy open his mouth these days without everything he says getting disected and blown out of proportion?

Oinkness said:
Your welcome.

I've never said this out loud, but I am single-handedly responsible for revitalizing this forum. I remember when it was nothing, barely anything going on.... Now look at it. It's like a thriving metropolis. Sure, I may be hated by pretty much everyone, even the naive newbs who aren't worth a turd, but I may be one of the most significant users of this forum, and that helps me sleep at night. Not really. I don't get much sleep cause my mattress is broken. But I've got a new mattress coming, and it could be here any day now, and with that I would sleep good at night.

You may all thank me now, or not.
You may flame me.

But I know my work has paid off on this forum. ^_^

after reading this, I'm 100% sure this whole thread was just a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.