Mikael's attack on KsE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oinkness said:
And I meant the second page, as the second page of the Opeth forums. I was going to wait until this thread wasn't used anymore, but it still seems pretty damn active. -_-
ahh..my mistake then

Oinkness said:
I watched a documentary where the members of Shadows fall, unearth, all that remains, lamb of god, etc stated directly that they had been influenced, and followed, killswitch engage. So it's going to be hard to prove my wrong. *_*

and yet shadows fall, and Unearth, and Zao were formed BEFORE killswitch Engage....hmmmm.....

and where the hell did i say lamb of god or all that remains....

i said SF, Unearth, and Darkest Hour, all bands formed before Killswitch Engage, AND all released material before KsE, all in the same vein as what kse is, and all in the same vein as what they do now.

illidurit said:
@oink: you joined a year after my first registration you idiot
You joined 5 years after my first registration.
Consider yourself self-pwned. :p

wwallinga said:
So, I've been on this board for awhile now. Haven't posted much - mostly just been listening. There are some people who are annoying and others who are funny, etc. But I have to say, without any doubt, that I have never read a single post by Oinkness that has even had a remote acquaintance to common sense.

If you aren't aware of just how far music is in the toilet, then you've been asleep since the early 90's. For metal, it went all downhill after the Black Album. Toss in the fall of MTV, boy bands, 15-minute pop stars, and American Idol, and it's been a shitstorm that doesn't appear to be clearing anytime soon.

Take a band like Green Day (non-metal example). When they came out in the late-80's and no one had heard of them, they were about as punk and raw as anything out there. Now look where they are - in MTV's pockets. Everything they do now is crap and the public is lapping up and begging for more.

As for metal, sure their are a few bands out there that have managed to impress. But for the most part, the big bands are gone, and all that's left is a bunch of weak bands that all sound the same and end up boring the shit out of me. Who is the Slayer of 2006? Who is the next Iron Maiden?

That's where Opeth comes in. They are different. They aren't about the money. They don't ask me if I'm ready to rock, motherfuckers? They get on stage in their black shirts and black pants, say, "hi, we're Opeth from Stockholm, Sweden" and then they give an honest 90 minutes that's well worth the money.

$100 to see the Stones? $150 for Bruce Springsteen? $200 for Billy Joel? All bands I've enjoyed at one time or another, but no thanks. I'll pay my $18 and go see Opeth again.

Mikael is completely right, and I salute his honesty and candidness. If you can't deal with the reality of what's really going on - wake up.
Well, with the above statement (in bold), you've said one of the single dumbest things I've ever seen on this forum, or any forum for that matter.

To say that metal has gone downhill since the Black Album, to hold that as some sort of high point, and then to disregard nearly the entire collection of black metal albums ever recorded, as well as a substantial amount of death and doom albums as well is pure idiocy. The Black Album, as well as grunge was the best thing ever to happen to metal. It effectively killed off all mainstream hair and glam bands, and allowed the extreme metal underground to flourish, totally ignored by the media.

As for KsE, and most metalcore, they're just ripping off some combination of Carcass - Heartwork, Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve, and Fear Factory - Demanufacture.

MasterOLightning said:
Well, with the above statement (in bold), you've said one of the single dumbest things I've ever seen on this forum, or any forum for that matter.

To say that metal has gone downhill since the Black Album, to hold that as some sort of high point, and then to disregard nearly the entire collection of black metal albums ever recorded, as well as a substantial amount of death and doom albums as well is pure idiocy. The Black Album, as well as grunge was the best thing ever to happen to metal. It effectively killed off all mainstream hair and glam bands, and allowed the extreme metal underground to flourish, totally ignored by the media.

As for KsE, and most metalcore, they're just ripping off some combination of Carcass - Heartwork, Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve, and Fear Factory - Demanufacture.
Other than Meshuggah, I don't much care for those bands. ^_^

illidurit said:
rofl you joined when you were 12? failure
Ok, so I'm a failure for being exposed to metal at a young age.
I just wish I had discovered metal sooner.
And I might have been 13.

Hey I like KSE. Massachusetts has become a hotspot in recent years for Metal. This goes for the mainstream & in the underground. Unfortunately, we're not as great as all the Swedish & Australian bands... Well not as great as Opeth anyways.

I don't take offense to Mike's comments. It's not the 1st time. A few yrs back he was talking all kinds of shit about Disturbed on Much. If I was a member of Opeth, I'd be jealous of these bands too. They're nowhere near as good as Opeth, but they make tons of cash & didn't have to devote 15 yrs of their lives, creating 8 albums before some real success was achieved.

MasterOLightning said:

I'll not get into the other forms of metalcore, but for the kse-style, the best way to go about it is described best by its other name...gothencore....basically melo-death with hardcore breakdowns. Grunts/growls are usually replaced with more outright screaming, but not always...and generally the post-hardcore sing/scream element also plays a role.

but...there are alot of metalcore variant...

for instance...i wouldn't clump Converge in the same category as KsE, but theyre both technically metalcore...but Converge is miles ahead of KsE...and by the same token wouldnt stick zombie apocalypse/the risk taken/shai hulud in the same category as either of those.

Hey I like KSE. Massachusetts has become a hotspot in recent years for Metal. This goes for the mainstream & in the underground. Unfortunately, we're not as great as all the Swedish & Australian bands...

the mass hardcore scene is many times better than its 'metal(core)" scene.

Oinkness said:
If you really think so, then you're extraordinarily stupid and shallow. That's a lot like saying Opeth uses the same prog death formula in every song.

I haven't heard another band that sounds as good as Killswitch in the hardcore scene.... Killswitch did start the whole metalcore movement, and influenced the groups Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, all that remains, unearth, god forbid, etc... I don't like them all, but the statement I made about KsE being the innovators was true.

They didn't start the movement themselves !!!
It is not because their album was realeased before the others that they created the movement !
Look at the documentary on the Killswitch DVD and you will see that all these bands know each others for years and have exchange members throughout the years !
So Killswitch didn't influence these bands, all these bands influenced each other at one point
Thee other metalcore bands call Killswitch the Def Leappard of this movement !
They are leading the movement because they write good riffs and catchy tunes ( try to sing along a Lamb Of God song !)

Try again being smart when talking about music thx !

If you can recall on the Lamentations dvd he mentioned something about Morbid Angel blowing his mind.....Altars of Madness if I remember correctly. He didn't say that american metal sucks just the shit thats out is trendy. I agree with him though.

Haha great! Someone had to bash Killswitch Engage and I'm glad it was Mikael!
When I think of Killswitch Engage I just think of guys swinging guitars around recklessly, and I once liked them, but when I started really appreciating music I just thought those guys look a little silly.

The Black Album, as well as grunge was the best thing ever to happen to metal. It effectively killed off all mainstream hair and glam bands, and allowed the extreme metal underground to flourish, totally ignored by the media.

Dumbest statement?? Hello? Hair and glam was on its way out regardless of grunge coming along. It was a fad, just like Britney Spears (where has she been? Oh, right, her 15 minutes are over).

When I was 14 I saw Megadeth(RIP), Slayer(SITA) and Anthrax(POT) on the summer Monster's of Rock tour. I will never see another show like this as long as I live. Now, my only choices are Opeth plus 1 or 2 mediocre opening bands or a festival with 85 bands where 5 are actually pretty good and the other 80 are carbon copies of the back of my ass.

If it wasn't for Opeth, I'd probably be listening to nothing but AM radio. And I respect this board for getting me into bands like Porcupine Tree and Katatonia, but I will not blind myself to the fact that what passes for music in general and for metal specifically during my lifetime has gotten worse and worse to the point of almost being unrecognizable.

Opeth is one of the few exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.