Modern Prog-Rock

Yeah people like that are impossible.The best guitarists suffered to get to the top, by doing the same shit everyone else does.you gotta learn the shit you play.

also, im a few months ill post some vids.

Failure is what makes someone better, and if you never let yourself fail then you never let yourself get better.

The problem is he "knows" what he's talking about, and "knows" he's playing something right. I've been told I'm a good singer, but when I fuck up, fine... I have no problem laughing at myself, or getting pissed, but I try harder the next time. I don't blame the drummer, or bassist when I'm off time, or sing out of key, like the guitarist does. Hell, he goes on and on how Alex Lifeson (Rush) is a terrible guitarist, but he can't get the first 2 parts of 2112 right. And he constantly argues with our new drummer, telling him he's off time. It's really bad and funny at the same time, because our new drummer was covering 2112, and a few other Rush tunes for years in his previous band. And to top it off, they're my 2nd favorite band, got all their albums, so it just makes you shake your head, you know? And he doesn't even realize that he's doing the same fucking solos on our new songs for our next album, that he did on the first album. As I Am, good choice! DT doesn't have too many angry type songs. Can't wait to see them! Less than 3 weeks!

Just listened to this album. Sounds brilliant, amazing vocals, just not too sure about its staying power, though, given it's quite poppy. It certainly makes a change from all the proggy post-rock around these days - it's like they're all too afraid to actually write something catchy.

I've been a fan for a few years now and I've never gone anywhere without having El Cielo and Catch Without Arms with me because I can always put either one in and enjoy it completely.

For the record everyone should check out Three! Very good band.

I'll have to check out thie Dredg
----------------

I played with one of those guitarists once. When I first started playing again he was good, but it didnt take long and I began to see the problems. Same deal, stand right there and insist he was playing it right. He was better at strummin and more mellow stuff and I did improve on that through him. I wanted to say practice isnt the only thing that got the best to the top, they have a level of natural talent that excapes most. I practiced my ass off and still do Im only so good, coordination, syncopation between hands and just the hands themselves limit me, I would never attempt a DT song. I could handle the riffs, but those fast run passages and the solos... for get about it. I struggle with areas of my own music and theres no comparision. So props to those than can tackle this technical stuff, I think its great.

One of my favorite modern prog rock acts is Sieges Even. I know some people might argue that these guys are metal; but I'd say that they're more mainstream sounding (honestly). And they really only have solitary metal moments. A lot of their music is actually very soft. They have a very ambient sound, but also very catchy melodies. The dynamics of the group are awesome; they'll swoop from light, easy clean guitar chords to hammering, heavy riffs. They're pretty cool.

Check out their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/siegeseven

Definitely check out the songs "Tidal," "To the Ones Who Have Failed," and "Unbreakable."

Journey had so much potential, just were corporated into pop rock. I could see how journey fans would appreaciate these guys though... no ?

A modern prog band that at times sounds like Journey(vocally) is the defunct band Lemur Voice. They sound a lot like Rush musically. As a matter of fact, they covered the song-Red Barchetta-on the Rush tribute album Working Man, with James LaBrie singing.

I'd about kill for one of those first ? two ? Journey albums. My cousin in Florida had which ever one it was, one song in particular was killer in its day. Perry had a great voice possibly one of the best ever but the music was too much for the girls too much pop not enough rock for me.

Jarman - I know you were talking about this other band, I really do like them, its catchy without being overly domestic.