more great viking/pagan metal bands

The Bringer said:
Hmmmm I don't think you can really call it his other band because he only recently joined it. He isn't the mastermind behind it. Though I can't wait to hear new work by them with his contributations.

100% agreed there.

In fact, Ensiferum is basically one person now (founder Markus Toivonen), with all new musicians. I'm anxious to hear new material from them too, especially since someone else will be singing. I hope whatever they release is as good as their 1st 2 albums.

MadeInNewJersey said:
100% agreed there.

In fact, Ensiferum is basically one person now (founder Markus Toivonen), with all new musicians. I'm anxious to hear new material from them too, especially since someone else will be singing. I hope whatever they release is as good as their 1st 2 albums.

ah new singer too eh?

MadeInNewJersey said:
100% agreed there.

I heard that one of the hooties will be blowing on vocals

DragonKeeper said:
ah new singer too eh?

Well yes, Petri Lindoos has taken over as vocalist, replacing [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jari Mäenpää, who I guess has decided he wants to concentrate on his own thing (Wintersun, or something like that).

I don't know Petri at all, just that he sang with Norther.

[/FONT]

MadeInNewJersey said:
Not a problem at all, lol

I assume his style will fit right in with Ensiferum, since from what I know, Norther is a similarly-styled band.

Ya, I did notice the similarity between the two bands, especially the vocals and the speed of the guitar tempo with the telltale sinth sound of Norther. I also prefer Eniferum to Norther, but neither are my favorite so it doesn't matter to me haha.

genaatloos said:
oh great! Korpiklaani in holland, 2nd of april! with heidevolk as support, now i must find someone who wants to go with me... dont want to miss this

dude, I would go with you no question asked ... why am I so far. Tell the Heidevolk guys Belgar says hi ... they'll know what you mean. Also ask Korpiklaani to play Berr Beer Beer a few times, that's one hell of a drinking song.

problem is, it is in tilburg, quite a long way to travel. Ive got a problem with going back.. i dont really have enough money to take the train. Shall be nice to my parents, maybe they are so crazy to bring me. probably not

Belgar said:
dude, I would go with you no question asked ... why am I so far. Tell the Heidevolk guys Belgar says hi ... they'll know what you mean. Also ask Korpiklaani to play Berr Beer Beer a few times, that's one hell of a drinking song.

ya i heard about that gig...sounds rocking. hell ya "beer beer" is a great drinking song :Spin:

I like Petri's singing -- and Ensiferum does indeed kick Norther's ass.

But anyway -- Asmegin is another good viking metal band. They have alot of folk elements, as well as good guitars, drums, and vocals.

You guys should check out Manegarm, Falkenbach, Heidevolk, Kampfar, Lumsk, Storm, Otyg, Metsatoll, and Yggdrasil if you're looking for the more folk oriented Viking/Pagan Bands. Of course Asmegin as somebody already said. Einherjer is in a league of there own except there's a band called Greigh that sound similar. If you're looking for the Bathory sound then I'd go for Gjallarhorn. If you're into Windir then I suggest a band called Mistur. The only Viking bands that I believe come remotely close to sounding like Amon Amarth are Unleashed and maybe Twin Obscenity...

You know what I meant. I meant in terms of sound. I'm not speaking of who's influenced who or who came first. Also by using the word "remotely" I am saying their sound is the closest thing I can think of, not that they sound exactly alike. Of course every band has their own style but they also have similarities to other bands no matter how unintentional those similarities may be. Obviously Unleashed came first although lyrically their Viking image is fading not to mention being sparse to begin with.

Bap said:
I like Petri's singing -- and Ensiferum does indeed kick Norther's ass.

But anyway -- Asmegin is another good viking metal band. They have alot of folk elements, as well as good guitars, drums, and vocals.

haha i happen to be listening to asmegin right now