Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse
Limbonic Art- Moon in the Scorpio
Primordial- Spirit the Earth Aflame
Any Summoning album!!
Nokturnal Mortum- Goat Horns
Opeth- Morningrise
Divina Enema- At The Conclave
Bal Sagoth in general

Definitely Vinterland-Welcome my last Chapter... The songs are long, majestic, yet extremely depressing and sorrow-filled. It's perhaps the strangest, darkest epicness ever.

Apart from that, (though not in terms of song length) is Borknagar, The Archaic Course. That album defines the word epic for me, especially the song universal.

And I have to second he who mentioned Immortal-ATHOW.

Well, I have to say Lee B brought up something interesting. I agree, it doesn't have to be long and drawn out.

Anyway, most of you have great choices that I certainly agree with.

-Enslaved are the fucking masters, and I feel that everything they've done has an epic feel. Even "Monumension" is epic, just not the same epic you feel on "Vikingligr Veldi". Their whole career is great.
-Bathory's "Hammerheart" is very epic, and to a lesser extent, so is "Blood Fire Death".
-Early Emperor seems very epic to me. I think "Nightside..." is more epic than "Anthems...", but both are.
-As Brutalizer mentioned, I agree that Ulver's "Bergtatt" is extremely epic. I love that album!
-Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane & Somberlain
-Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Otherside.
-Arcturus - Aspera Hym Symfonia
-Some Borknagar, some My Dying Bride, etc.

Thanks for some other suggestions on here. I'll check them out.

Without the cheese ;)…

I get the epic feel from Pink Floyd’s The Wall, and Rush’s Hemispheres. Some of the above mentioned would certainly be on my list; Morningrise, Scenes From a Memory, Crimson, Light of Day, Day of Darkness.

What about still life? the whole album is one story!, the musical themes run the whole way through the album. in my opion the album is one song, broken up into smaller songs.
Some old style songs that are epic (not albums) LedZepplin's Achillies' last stand, Kashmir, and In the Time of my dying!
I dont know how much of power metal you guys like, but Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth is pretty epic. again the one story (Tolkien's silmarilain) tieing the whole album together.

Definitely Vinterland-Welcome my last Chapter... The songs are long, majestic, yet extremely depressing and sorrow-filled. It's perhaps the strangest, darkest epicness ever.
cool. finally someone who knows vinterland! too bad they released only one album...

I think the band that springs to mind when I think of 'epic' is My Dying Bride.

Specifically 'Turn Loose the Swans', 'The Angel and the Dark River' and 'The Light at the End of the World' (although not as amazing as the former two).

They're epic in every sense. :cool:

yes, definitely Enslaved's entire catalouge. Opeth as well. Long Winter's Stare is a fairly unknown band that makes extremely epic metal by definition. Green Carnation's latest effort is very epic. Classic albums like Jethro Tull's "Thick As a Brick" and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" were really what opened up the doors for epic contemporary non-classical music. most classical music, especially symphonies, is epic in nature.

Divina Enema- At The Conclave

YES

EPIC!

Other Epic albums.. I don't know how well I understand the definition of epic, but to me, Bath/Leaving your body map have an epic feel to them, as does Hollenthon-With Vilest of Worms to Dwell.

I think my definition of the word may be a bit off, but I find these albums engrossing and on a larger scale than most :D

Originally posted by Imaril
I was going to suggest 'thick as a brick' but underesimated the poster's knowledge of old stuff. (and non-metal)

i'm only 18, but my mom got me started on the right foot:) she's a music teacher, so i've had bands like Floyd, Heep, Tull, Zep, Bowie, Zappa, Sabbath, etc. (as well as a lot of classical music) around me since i was in the womb. and now in turn, i'm getting my mom into groups like Opeth, Therion, Neurosis, My Dying Bride, Tristania, Katatonia, In Flames, Amorphis, Vintersorg, etc. Therion and Opeth are actually her favourite bands at the moment. i never imagined a 47 year-old could appreciate death vox, but hey what can i say, my mom rules!

another vote for Morningrise, but I also have strong feelings for MAYH. :D

I agree about MDB...TLtS & TAatDR ...! :)

Recently, I have latched onto the epic nature of Mr Devin Townsend...the music has just kept getting better and better.
Terria and Ocean Machine are at my epic forefront!