most influential death bands?

LivingCadaver

Cause à effet.
Apr 27, 2006
Montréal, Qc, Canada
I'd like to know your top 5 or 10 whatever, of death metal bands you think were the most influent for the genre. yeah so basicly the bands you will put in your top HAVE to be death metal or death/thrash.

go!

Killbot said:
Influential? nt rly.
That's what I was thinking. Dying Fetus basically just took the NYDM sound and made it even more hardcore-ish. Dying Fetus is almost like metalcore with blastbeats. Anyways, in terms of influential:

Suffocation (basically influenced the whole brutal death metal scene)
Morbid Angel (tons of bands have a clear Morbid Angel influence in their sound)
Death (influenced many 90s Tampa dm bands)
Entombed (influenced that old school Swedish dm sound)
At the Gates (huge influence on melodeath and unfortunately also metalcore)
Vader (they basically started "Polish" style dm, which does indeed have it's own distinct sound)
Immolation (influenced most dm with awkward/dissonant riffing)
Incantation (their doomy dm sounds influenced a good amount of bands)

Life Sucks said:
That's what I was thinking. Dying Fetus basically just took the NYDM sound and made it even more hardcore-ish. Dying Fetus is almost like metalcore with blastbeats. Anyways, in terms of influential

But there are so many brutal death bands that incorporate that sound now. A ton of bands from Japan as well as deathcore really take a lot of influence from Dying Fetus. Not as influential as other bands listed, but still quite influential in my opinion.

1. Slayer
2. Celtic frost
3. Sodom
4. Morbid angel
5. Suffocation

First three are proto-death.

Vesupria said:
To be honest, I'd say that Hellhammer and Bathory had at least some influence on what came to be known as Death Metal. Back then the genre limits were not so defined. The aesthetic and imagery of both bands was no doubt pleasing to future Death Metal bands.

correct

Why does everyone say Entombed? Surely Nihilist were far more influencial, particularly to those bands that went on to create that first wave of Swedish death metal.