most influential death bands?

LivingCadaver said:
I'd like to know your top 5 or 10 whatever, of death metal bands you think were the most influent for the genre. yeah so basicly the bands you will put in your top HAVE to be death metal or death/thrash.

go!
Morbid Angel
Carcass
Behemoth
Cannibal Corpse
Krisiun
Dissection
Emperor
Nile

...these are the bands that I believe to really matter in the genre of metal.

Immolation is the first NYC death metal band, and also in along with some of the most earlier death metal acts dating back around around 85,86.

not influencial my ass you noobs.

Ok kids, settle down, uncle Carcassian is here with THE TRUTH.

Most influential death metal bands, in order.

1) Morbid Angel (as witnessed by the quantillion bad MA clones)
2) Entombed (as witnessed by the early to mid nineties sunlight studios factory)
3) Deicide (as witnessed by the "Scott Burns filter" button at Morrisounds studios in the nineties that made 91.3% of all known DM cds recorded at the time to sound like they were made straight after Deicide stopped recording in the same studio)
4) Carcass - (The bands influenced are far too numerous to list here). Goregrind? got it. Melodic death metal? Got it. "Pure riff-tastic" death metal? got it.
5) Toughie, this one. I did consider Death, given that they were one of the first, and Napalm Death, but then they haven't consistantly been death metal. Who to pick then? Who, dear reader? NILE. Atmosphere and mythological/historical bent in DM. It's the new Sunlight Studios. Every cunt and his dog has a slant now "oh, we're Bulgarian Iron Age DM", "We're Summatran tree god DM" etc etc.

Then again, I could be wrong.

It's unlikely though.

Carcassian said:
Ok kids, settle down, uncle Carcassian is here with THE TRUTH.

Most influential death metal bands, in order.

1) Morbid Angel (as witnessed by the quantillion bad MA clones)
2) Entombed (as witnessed by the early to mid nineties sunlight studios factory)
3) Deicide (as witnessed by the "Scott Burns filter" button at Morrisounds studios in the nineties that made 91.3% of all known DM cds recorded at the time to sound like they were made straight after Deicide stopped recording in the same studio)
4) Carcass - (The bands influenced are far too numerous to list here). Goregrind? got it. Melodic death metal? Got it. "Pure riff-tastic" death metal? got it.
5) Toughie, this one. I did consider Death, given that they were one of the first, and Napalm Death, but then they haven't consistantly been death metal. Who to pick then? Who, dear reader? NILE. Atmosphere and mythological/historical bent in DM. It's the new Sunlight Studios. Every cunt and his dog has a slant now "oh, we're Bulgarian Iron Age DM", "We're Summatran tree god DM" etc etc.

Then again, I could be wrong.

It's unlikely though.
i agree about carcass for sure. if only niles music better fit into their pretty interesting album concepts. though different in direction i find that behemoth does it better even if nile does get more of the cred.

Necuratul said:

at first i thought you were kidding but when i think about it im sure that many death bands hold slayer or at least some era of them in high regard. good call.

Carcassian said:
Slayer are generally considered to be a thrash band. :headbang:
I get it. Now 1 question - doesnt the fact that they put antichrist stuff in their songs often change em to black metal?

That's an interesting point. I think that it may indeed qualify in terms of the subject matter. It is a contemporary of many of the first wave of Black metal bands, and like them, qualifies by virtue of the subject matter.

Yeah, I'd vote for that song being proto-BM.

Carcassian said:
That's an interesting point. I think that it may indeed qualify in terms of the subject matter. It is a contemporary of many of the first wave of Black metal bands, and like them, qualifies by virtue of the subject matter.

Yeah, I'd vote for that song being proto-BM.
Ok. Thank you :)

~Neurotica said:
I get it. Now 1 question - doesnt the fact that they put antichrist stuff in their songs often change em to black metal?

Usually metal sub-genres are classified by more than just lyrics. You will find satanic lyrics in death and thrash as well.

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
Usually metal sub-genres are classified by more than just lyrics. You will find satanic lyrics in death and thrash as well.
Yeah, thats why I'm often confused with figuring out the genre.