most influential death bands?

When you consider the first wave of Black metal bands - Venom and Mercyful Fate have very little to do with each other in terms of music, do they?

Carcassian said:
When you consider the first wave of Black metal bands - Venom and Mercyful Fate have very little to do with each other in terms of music, do they?

No they dont, but would you really consider MF as a black metal band. And if so would that be because of their lyrics or the music, or both?
Lyrically MF could be classed as Black metal, musically though i would consider them heavy metal

byrne said:
Slayer are only thrash. Kreator would have been more influential to death metal acts than Slayer. Add Sepultura's early work in there as well as being quite influential.

My point is, shouldn't they be disregarded, as they aren't consistantly death metal?

I thought the thread originator wanted to know the most influential death metal bands, rather than bands that have been influential to death metal :erk:

LivingCadaver said:
I'd like to know your top 5 or 10 whatever, of death metal bands you think were the most influent for the genre. yeah so basicly the bands you will put in your top HAVE to be death metal or death/thrash.

go!

thus ^